1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Improvements to notices

Discussion in 'Have You Seen...?' started by Chris D, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Today, we're showing you some exciting changes to Notices that we're bringing to you in XenForo 1.5:

Displaying an image

With the introduction of the above option it is now possible to display an image on a notice. You can either display the current visitor's avatar or provide a path or URL to one:

This addition should help draw more attention to your notices.

Visibility options

It is currently possible to hide notices with relative ease using some custom CSS. You can still do this to have tighter control, but the new option makes it even easier.

The exact breakpoints will depend on the properties set on the style used.

Floating notices

In XenForo 1.5 there are now two types of notices. Block notices behave in the familiar way as pictured above. Floating notices are a completely new way to display your notices.

Floating notices will appear in the bottom right corner of the screen. In addition to the usual options, floating notices also support some new options:

There are four colour styles, two of which derive from your Color Palette. You can also provide a custom class name to style the floating notice however you like. You can see all five of these options pictured below (the last one being a custom class created manually):

You can also control how long the floating notice will display for, and fade the notice in after a period of time.

Guest dismissal
    We now give guests the opportunity to dismiss notices. For guests, the mechanism for dismissing a notice is to set a cookie in their browser.

The cookie that we set is valid for the current browsing session. To restore dismissed notices a guest can clear their cookies, move to another device or restart their browser.

Resetting notices

Sometimes it may be necessary to re-use a notice. For example, you may wish to create a similar notice without reconfiguring the criteria.

Once reset, the notice will begin to display to any registered member meeting the criteria, even if they previously dismissed it.

That's all for today, until next time... :)
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  2. NixFifty

NixFifty Well-Known Member

Was beginning to think we wouldn't get one today, good stuff! :)
  3. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

This reminds me of an add-on by that angry bird developer that morphed into a human, changed his name, and got a new job.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Jarod, thumped, CarlosMST and 34 others like this.
  4. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Very nice! Has this incorporated some of your Gritter Notifications ideas, @Chris D ? :)
  5. John L.

John L. Well-Known Member

This is awesome :)
  6. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I can remove your add-on now ;)

7. KenBrace

KenBrace Active Member

Very nice job! I'll definitely be using this. :cool:
  8. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

Floating Notices Are C00L.
  9. Chris D

The floating notice style is similar in concept, yeah.

It will make little sense to have it, in its current form, installed in XF 1.5. It may stick around, though, in some form.
  10. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

Lovely changes, will make notifications much more interesting to set up and also from a end-users perspective more eye-catchy (the floating ones especially!)
  11. batpool52!

batpool52! Well-Known Member

Great changes. One question. If multiple notices are set to float, would there be any indicator with their title? or they will stack one above the other?
  12. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

I presume they will stack.
  13. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

Always thought it was duplication to have notices and notifications, but the latter is a little more obvious, and prettier, so I prefer it.
    It's flattering for an addon developer to have their idea incorporated into the core product, but I guess you're cheating a bit, eh, Chris? :)
    jeffwidman, Rob, Liam W and 2 others like this.
  14. batpool52!

batpool52! Well-Known Member

Also how would floating notice look on responsive view? Will they be moved to the normal notice system magically or they won't appear at all?
  15. Chris D

They do indeed stack. This may be a better image:

16. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You have control over their visibility with based on the responsive breakpoints. If they show, they're always fixed in the corner.
    Robert F Schmitz and batpool52! like this.
  17. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

Fantastic implementation!
  18. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

mhm. I wonder if floating alerts are next up...
  19. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

WOOW! I love this improvements in the notice system.
    I really love it. Many thanks for the great work!
  20. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

Yeehaww!! I'm more excited than a little kid in a candy shop!