Importers

I was just thinking about asking a question related to this topic and start a new topic. But since this topic exists I'll ask it here...

I'm wondering about what the importer will be able to import from a vB 3.x database. Will it be all vB data or are there several things that will get lost because of missing/different features in XF?

For example paid memberships, usergroup- and forum permissions, reputation, profile comments, contacts, settings... Can we get some insight on this? Are there any other things that are not going to import? What about boards using vBSEO, will they be able to keep their URL structure? Does XF have an option to add extra custom rewrites?

And I'm assuming we will lose all vB blog content, and there is no Photopost or Reviewpost compatibility, so we'll have to wait for that if we want to keep running those scripts...

I was just thinking about asking a question related to this topic and start a new topic. But since this topic exists I'll ask it here...

I'm wondering about what the importer will be able to import from a vB 3.x database. Will it be all vB data or are there several things that will get lost because of missing/different features in XF?

For example paid memberships, usergroup- and forum permissions, reputation, profile comments, contacts, settings... Can we get some insight on this? Are there any other things that are not going to import? What about boards using vBSEO, will they be able to keep their URL structure? Does XF have an option to add extra custom rewrites?

And I'm assuming we will lose all vB blog content, and there is no Photopost or Reviewpost compatibility, so we'll have to wait for that if we want to keep running those scripts...
Hopefully they can move them to a forum as posts; I have an idea that I've talked over with my main developer, as well as a few other developers here, and it might be possible to make a blog system (Depending on the plugin system) fairly soon after the launch of XF.

We can only import the things we know about, by definition. The data is still in your source DB and the mapping data is still there, so it could theoretically be added down the line. (That's not how the importer system works though, so it'd probably be done through a modification.)

The importer does not/can not assume a clean board, so settings can't be imported. Paid subscription definitions can't be imported either as a) they're different and b) they wouldn't work anyway.

For supporting other URLs, you will need to internally redirect your SEO'd URLs to the standard vB ones and then use a few small 301 scripts to redirect them to your XF URLs.

My guess is that they're going to make one for both the 3 and 4 series anyway. Probably already done.

You're right that detailed numbers can be useful after they made the ones with big market share.

For supporting other URLs, you will need to internally redirect your SEO'd URLs to the standard vB ones and then use a few small 301 scripts to redirect them to your XF URLs.

argh. that means vbseo powered vb forums are likely to see truck load of broken links for folks like me who have no idea how to work with redirect rules. there goes my plan of having an easy migration from vb4+vbseo to XF! :mad:

argh. that means vbseo powered vb forums are likely to see truck load of broken links for folks like me who have no idea how to work with redirect rules. there goes my plan of having an easy migration from vb4+vbseo to XF! :mad:
They need to provide a good tutorial for this. Otherwise I'm not sure I will switch to XF either.

Mert posted a blog entry over at vbseo.com to help with the redirects after you uninstall vBSEO.
Check it out: http://www.vbseo.com/blogs/mert-goekceimam/how-uninstall-vbseo-238/

You can always ask for help in the communities (vbseo or xenforo) to help with the redirects in case you use a customized url format.

well i assume you are me are not alone so probably some code wizard would provide guidelines here or somewhere else. :)

the problem i sort of anticipate is that vbseo provides way too much flexibility and that might require different code for different forums... so it might turn into a nightmare for me and you!

the thread on vbseo confirms my fear. different settings in vbseo would require a different set of rewrite rules! this is turning into a nightmare. heh.

the thread on vbseo confirms my fear. different settings in vbseo would require a different set of rewrite rules! this is turning into a nightmare. heh.
That's why I worded my response like I did. There couldn't be a magic way to redirect any configuration to us. It needs to be designed around your setup. We use a really general rewrite rule as well and our URLs can take several possible forums, so there's a risk of a potential conflict (or at least a false positive).

But at least now I have something to start around with. i can get the vbseo > vb4 redirect code from the developers at vbseo. and i guess XF would take over from there. a lot of links are going to break of course. i am prepared for that eventuality. i have survived the migration from IPB to vB in the past. I would survive this one too!

Cheers!

Top Bottom