Importers

Given our background, we have a fully-armed and operational vBulletin 3.x importer ready. We also have a tool that you can deploy that will catch links destined for forums, threads, posts etc. from your old board and redirect them (with a 301) to the newly-imported XenForo versions, so that Google and users coming from search engines are seamlessly directed to your XenForo content (and Google will register the 301 redirect so you there will be no penalty for the change of URL scheme.

We will likely offer a vBulletin 4 importer, as the database schema is largely identical to vBulletin 3 with a few minor exceptions.

I would also like to have an IPB 3.x importer ready, but I can't say exactly when that will be.

Awesome news especially the 301 redirect tool :)

We ran away from vBulletin after the IB-fiasco. Didn't even buy the upgrade for vB4.
We have already converted our forums to Invision; have been with it for two month only.

It's a great product, really. Much superior to vB4 now, and have many things missing in vB3 in his last good days.
But i (personally) really like Mike/Kier approach, coding, ideas and... even attitude.

The only problem it's: converting.
We are a big-board (16M posts; 2k and even 4k to 5k concurrent users, 20min cookie). Using the only converter available (the web based one), really good hardware (our "farm" with five servers) and tweaked settings just for the convertion, the whole process took us one entire week to be done. Seven days. It's too much for a downtime.

When we asked for a ssh converter at IPB's company forums, they said would do it. We waited months (months) for that to become true. But in the meanwhile, IB-fiasco became bigger and bigger and... we took the risk of the web-import to IPB, mainly because we were scared of IB and their customer management and development process.

If a ssh converter it's not made here for XenForo (and for people "from Invision"; obviously if ssh-converter exists, then one "from vBulletin" will exists too), then we will probably just watch how this becomes a really nice and cool forum software... sadly. But not a chance to perform a new long and painful convertion process again. No by a web-process. Not again.

Personally I wouldn't go with a solution that could only be run via the web (i.e. browser HTTP request/response driven), there are some significantly better ways or migrating data and some decent architectures to do so.

We ran away from vBulletin after the IB-fiasco. Didn't even buy the upgrade for vB4.
We have already converted our forums to Invision; have been with it for two month only.

It's a great product, really. Much superior to vB4 now, and have many things missing in vB3 in his last good days.
But i (personally) really like Mike/Kier approach, coding, ideas and... even attitude.

The only problem it's: converting.
We are a big-board (16M posts; 2k and even 4k to 5k concurrent users, 20min cookie). Using the only converter available (the web based one), really good hardware (our "farm" with five servers) and tweaked settings just for the convertion, the whole process took us one entire week to be done. Seven days. It's too much for a downtime.

When we asked for a ssh converter at IPB's company forums, they said would do it. We waited months (months) for that to become true. But in the meanwhile, IB-fiasco became bigger and bigger and... we took the risk of the web-import to IPB, mainly because we were scared of IB and their customer management and development process.

If a ssh converter it's not made here for XenForo (and for people "from Invision"; obviously if ssh-converter exists, then one "from vBulletin" will exists too), then we will probably just watch how this becomes a really nice and cool forum software... sadly. But not a chance to perform a new long and painful convertion process again. No by a web-process. Not again.

An SSH converter sounds nice and Jerry's idea of a non http converter sounds nice also. I hope the devs see's this.

I do need to start off with a new Forum-website NOW.
Which Forum-software should I use (VB, PHPbb, etc.) in order to be able to convert to a XenForo-solution later on (once it is available) ?

Please help.

Well currently no importers have been released so it is hard to make a good decision which one to go with. phpBB is widely used so there will probably be an importer for it. The latest version of phpBB isn't bad, it has definitely improved over phpBB 2.x.

Which Forum-software should I use (VB, PHPbb, etc.) in order to be able to convert to a XenForo-solution later on (once it is available) ?

Please help.

If you want to be aboslutely 100% certain you can convert? vBullletin 3.x. But I don't really see a point in buying a license seeing as XF is going to be released soon. I would say pick your favorite free software, and hope for the best. :)

Please help.

There are vb3.8 licenses on the used market going really cheap, if you really need to get started asap and absolutely want to convert to XF as fast as possible.

I believe there will be a phpBB conversion script, and seeing as it would be pointless to pay for vB just to change later, it would be your best choice imo.

But then again, a vB script will probably be available sooner than a phpBB one, so the choice is mostly going to be how soon do you want to convert and are you willing to pay? Seems like I'm just repeating what everyone else is saying though. *shot*

As Jerry said earlier, given the demand, it'll most likely happen. Everyone fanatically posting what imported they need will not likely affect much, especially so early.

...Mopquill said, before being completely ignored.

My biggest concern is with vB4 importer (I guess as me, many who run vB4 will want to switch) and the concern is mainly directed to the content that will not be supported over XF, such as CMS, blogs, etc, it would be good to at least improt all this content and save it in some archive forum or whatever to be later included in future features as they become developed.

Loose content is my biggest concern.

My biggest concern is with vB4 importer (I guess as me, many who run vB4 will want to switch) and the concern is mainly directed to the content that will not be supported over XF, such as CMS, blogs, etc, it would be good to at least improt all this content and save it in some archive forum or whatever to be later included in future features as they become developed.

Loose content is my biggest concern.

What if the blogs were imported into a forum called Blogs?

The blog itself being the first post in a thread, the comments could be additional posts that follow the first post.

The Whats New forum works sort of like a blog. The staff starts s thread in there periodically, and people make follow up comments. From a UI point of view, similar to a blog.

Later when Blogs are implemented they could be promoted to a blog once again.

?

Top Bottom