Importers

For a blog importer, one idea is to have the importer create a category called Blogs, with subforums underneath for each user who has a blog
In each blog would be a thread per entry, with replies to the threads being the comments from the blog.

For a blog importer, one idea is to have the importer create a category called Blogs, with subforums underneath for each user who has a blog
In each blog would be a thread per entry, with replies to the threads being the comments from the blog.

Superbly simple idea :)

I've been trying to convince others of that as well. To me, a blog is very similar to what you describe, with regards to information flow.

One way that XenForo could set itself apart is if an importer were written for ProBoards and possibly some other hosted forums that require a scraper.

If the concerns about using XenForo to "steal" the content of another person's forum, then a possible solution is to require the operator of the forum to be imported to create a new forum with a certain "token" name, and then the ProBoards/data scraper importer checks for that token. I realize this check may have to be a separate file encrypted with Zend or ionCube.

We have 7478 bloggers. The highlighted idea wouldn't possibly work for us.
We don't use vB Blogs though, but our own solution where each blog entry is a thread in a hidden forum. The blog page for a member filters the threads from that forum by postuserid, and voila - you have the member's blog page.

One way that XenForo could set itself apart is if an importer were written for ProBoards and possibly some other hosted forums that require a scraper.

If the concerns about using XenForo to "steal" the content of another person's forum, then a possible solution is to require the operator of the forum to be imported to create a new forum with a certain "token" name, and then the ProBoards/data scraper importer checks for that token. I realize this check may have to be a separate file encrypted with Zend or ionCube.

The main was is to allow a xF operative to do the import as a service, to do so you have to grant admin access to the proboard site, which in itself is a *fairly* good indicator it is yours.

Though :

1) You might of gained the password some how.

2) It's a manual process and as I remember from the days after vB3 release, that isn't something you want to get into, though the demand for proboard might be manageable.

We have 7478 bloggers. The highlighted idea wouldn't possibly work for us.
We don't use vB Blogs though, but our own solution where each blog entry is a thread in a hidden forum. The blog page for a member filters the threads from that forum by postuserid, and voila - you have the member's blog page.

It's better than not importing Blogs at all. :)

When I was asked for blog importers before vB Blog existed I just converted them to threads.
That's what I want to do with vBlog NOW. ;)
Unless WP 3.x integration is available when we're ready to move to to XF and we can import the vBlog blogs to WP blogs, that's probably what we'll do when moving to XF.

With WordPress MU, this would be a viable alternative to those with vBulletin + Blog.
I haven't worked with WP MU so I don't know how it handles performance-wise, but it seems kind of over the top to give each user what is essentially a fully-featured WordPress installation. It would be really interesting to see it integrated, though. :)

I haven't worked with WP MU so I don't know how it handles performance-wise, but it seems kind of over the top to give each user what is essentially a fully-featured WordPress installation. It would be really interesting to see it integrated, though. :)
Obviously, the users don't get full administrative options (can't upgrade, and can only install Themes/Plugins you allow, IIRC).

Obviously, the users don't get full administrative options (can't upgrade, and can only install Themes/Plugins you allow, IIRC).
Yeah, but it still seems over the top. I could be wrong, but it seems like there would be a lot of overhead/performance issues with that system. If I were to do it, I would use I non-MU WordPress installation, then give each user an Author account (I think that's the right permission set, correct me if I'm wrong), and for the user's Blog page I would just write a filter to display all articles authored by that user. :)

Wordpress MU is no longer a separate product, they merged WPMU and WP single when they went to WP 3.0 IIRC.
As far as overhead, WP is pretty clean on the DB end, and if you use a lightweight theme it seems like it should be pretty doable. Can you explain why you feel that it would be too much overhead? I.E. why you think multi user WP would be more overhead than a single blog with authors and filters? Given that it's all the same system now?

Wordpress MU is no longer a separate product, they merged WPMU and WP single when they went to WP 3.0 IIRC.
As far as overhead, WP is pretty clean on the DB end, and if you use a lightweight theme it seems like it should be pretty doable. Can you explain why you feel that it would be too much overhead? I.E. why you think multi user WP would be more overhead than a single blog with authors and filters? Given that it's all the same system now?
Yeah, WP 3.0 now has MU support. I'm not sure exactly how things are handled on the back-end, but it just seemed to me that giving every user a MU-account/installation seems unnecessary. Again, I could be wrong as to the performance impact. :)

Would like an importer for Social Engine if possible, but mainly IPB3 :)

Think I'll convert my one remaining VB3 website over to xenForo and use as a testbed for my other sites but only when XenAdvanced comes along ;)

I'm running vB4 and will move to Xenforo as fast as it get released and can afford the money it will cost. I bought vBulletin 4 blindly and then I realised that Jelsoft were bought by Internet Brands, initially I felt a bit angry to Jelsoft for that move. I bought it for the vBulletin quality. Now I happily see that the developers have not abandoned the people that trusted them, and I'm very happy for it and congratulate them for such as good piece of software (xenForo, obviously).

Taking this into account, I find fair to get a vB4 importer with no data loss, it would be very bad for my users to loose their data. At least, photos & blog entries. I'm not saying what xF should do it's just a thought ;)

Blog categories could go to subforums inside Blogs forum, entries as threads and comments as replies.

Top Bottom