1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 How to design a better tab system for the user profile?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Stuart Wright, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

Because we have lots of features added to our installation, we have lots more tabs than I think the system is designed to use.

and this guy doesn't have any warnings, or there would be a warnings tab also.
    Is there a better design of using tabs which would accommodate as many as we have and more?
  2. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

a simple solution would be to add all tabs not fitting in a row ABOVE the first row and not below it. It looks only strange currently because the second row is added below the first row leaving the tabs look very strange.

Maybe this could even be considered as a bug?
  3. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

thumped, Stuart Wright and Alfa1 like this.
  4. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

If more than 7 tabs are used then people will generally get lost or just not use all tabs.
    I think its best to reduce the number of tabs by placing more content within a tab instead of adding more and more tabs.
    DaniD likes this.
  5. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Could remove the "Information" tab, all that info is listed in the sidebar.

Then could move the links at the bottom of "Information" to the top of "Recent Activity".

Would remove one at least....
  6. DaniD

DaniD Active Member

Combining tabs sounds like a reasonable response... just how would you go about doing so? :(
  7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

The 'find all threads' function is used a lot. I think the issue is that addon developers seem to prefer to have a tab for their addon on profile. The result is dozens of tabs.
    I think that all matters relating to member issues could be combined, but this would need an addon.
    Media and albums could be on the same tab, if there would be a way to switch between these within the tab. Maybe we need tab drop downs.
    I also think that a lot relating to content can be combined in one tab. This also would need new functionality.
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's nothing to do with preference.

It's not possible for separate add-ons to use the same tab.
  9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I'm referring to two add-ons using the same new tab.

Regardless, the default tabs won't work for most add-ons, hence why developers add them.
    Alfa1 likes this.