• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Help Menu Section Addon Discussion

Anthony Parsons

Due to lots of people wanting a quick solution to add some basic pages into the help menu, I have built on James' work to provide a Help Menu addon that will install the links into the help index and help tab sub-nav.

Unfortunately there is no template hook in the help_wrapper page, so the help homepage cannot be automatically updated with menu items. I will provide a default overwrite that uses the settings options to control the content for the default released pages.

Whilst there are lots of possible pages people want to add into that area, I will provide a detailed explanation on how to add your own custom solutions into the files and relevant templates, so you can cut sick with as many help pages as you desire, however; there has to be an obvious limit on what is released by default and available for those with little ability who just want a couple of standard page names. I will put a settings page in style properties to turn on / off default pages provided, though all customisations... people will be on there own with.

So... what default pages should exist for the Help Menu?
  • About Us

this is definitely required and am wondering why this is not already build in into the default software. Now we have to do it manually :mad:
I am also wondering why the "Terms and Rules" text gets overwritten by the default phrase when updating the software?

Please add those Pages to the Help section:
- Imprint
- Terms and Rules
- Privacy Policy

What is "imprint"?

Terms & Rules is already a help page, help_terms! It is already included in the help pages wrapper and index once activated via > ACP > Options > Basic Board Information.

I don't understand why that would need to be added into this?

Privacy Policy I understand, as that only has a line in options which must contain a manual URL inserted to activate, and also isn't included in the help wrapper or index by default. Its only a footer link by default if memory serves correct!!!

I was also thinking about a "Staff" page, providing a default basic layout for either the staff avatar or picture to be inserted, wrapping the text around default XF styling.

What is "imprint"?

Terms & Rules is already a help page, help_terms! It is already included in the help pages wrapper and index once activated via > ACP > Options > Basic Board Information.

I don't understand why that would need to be added into this?

Privacy Policy I understand, as that only has a line in options which must contain a manual URL inserted to activate, and also isn't included in the help wrapper or index by default. Its only a footer link by default if memory serves correct!!!

I was also thinking about a "Staff" page, providing a default basic layout for either the staff avatar or picture to be inserted, wrapping the text around default XF styling.

"Imprint" is the stuff which is required by law in certain countries, like you have to list the "website owner-data" at a separate page which has to be accessible at any time at any given page of the website (so to have it preferably within the footer). e.g.: Website-Owner Name, Address, phone-number, company-registration-data, etc.
Again, this is required by law in countries like Germany and some other countries.

I do know that "Terms and Rules" is already at the "help"-path, but it would be great to also have "Imprint" and "Privacy-Policy" as well at the "help"-path.

Ok, now I understand. Is the correct name to be included "Imprint" or should it be "Company Details" or such?

the correct name in english language is "Imprint", in german language it is "Impressum".

You can have a look what XF-Germany did because all guys located in Germany and also some other countries have to do it as required by law......
(yeah, some strange countries have some strange laws :rolleyes: ).

See the Tab named "Offizielles" (english= "official/public information") in the header-navigation and also the 3 links in the footer at the right hand side ("Nutzungsbedingungen" = "Terms and Rules" , "Impressum" = "Imprint" , "Datenschutz" = "Privacy Policy".

www.xendach.de

If all those links could be listed under the "help"-path, then this would give additional exposure of those important links (pages) from within the "help"-Tab and this might omit the need for having a separate Tab for that stuff in the header-navigation.

Cheers,

Before I launch this into the addon section, can someone please test it and see if it works?

You obviously need XF version that has hooks for nav, help wrapper and footer links.

Also wondering if there is an easier method to write the hook listener, ie. when hooking into 3 locations.

Attachments

I have included a "newbie" page... as every admin would no doubt build this differently.

I was thinking of little pictures - what is a forum/ thread/ post/ attachment
a bit on how to navigate around - just starter things
and how to change your avatar/ notifications, maybe a couple of other basic preferences.

I think experienced admins as in so many professions tend to overlook how many people are either ignorant but don't know how to ask, or else terribly UN confident. So they hate to ask.
I find giving support it helps a lot to provide simple stuff not only top help those on the first struggling steps level, but also because it makes those on the next step up feel so much happier and more confident. Oh I KNOW all that - and that - but t6hat's a detail I didn't know, great.
People who actually feel ever so slightly superior - this stuff is EASY after all! - will then go on to tackle quite complicated things for you. They start assuming THIS stuff HERE is easy - even when it isn't. That gets them over a lot of obstacles.
This is a very old teacher's trick. Start very very easy, get the learner feeling bouncy and they jump over whatever you then put in front of them!

As soon as you ask too much of them, confidence is damaged. Serious. It takes a lot longer to REPAIR confidence in a group than it does to make the introductory steps soft and small in the first place. For us as admins damaging that early enthusiasm means - they just go away.

Top Bottom