Gift Upgrades

Gift Upgrades [Paid] 2.5.0

No permission to buy ($35.00)
In fact, I think it's ignoring permissions. When I installed the gift button was already there. And despite setting "Gift to users" as yes, no or never, nothing really happened. My assumption was it's been hardcoded in.

In fact, I think it's ignoring permissions. When I installed the gift button was already there. And despite setting "Gift to users" as yes, no or never, nothing really happened. My assumption was it's been hardcoded in.
Ah yeah, there's actually a bug there where it won't hide for guests even if they have no gifts available to give. I'll get it fixed in the next release. Thanks!

Hi @NixFifty -

We have a number of levels and length of upgrade.

Where do we select the particular upgrade that users can gift? Right now it shows only the first upgrade in the list and gives no option to gift a different upgrade.

Is there a way to prevent gifting of an upgrade that a user already has?

I would have expected this to use the "Disabled user upgrades" list for that

I would have expected this to use the "Disabled user upgrades" list for that
But that would be considered a renewal/extension. It's better to not let the membership lapse first.

I can see this for lifetime memberships or payment-agreement subscriptions, yes.

But that would be considered a renewal/extension. It's better to not let the membership lapse first.

I can see this for lifetime memberships or payment-agreement subscriptions, yes.

Yeah, we have recurring subscriptions in multiple length variants (1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year)

Currently, there is no way to prevent gifting someone one of those if they already have it

Have you run into issues with it or is this precautionary?

Because if I had a monthly sub and someone gifted me a year that would be okay with me. :)

Have you run into issues with it or is this precautionary?

Because if I had a monthly sub and someone gifted me a year that would be okay with me. :)

Alternatively if you're 3 months into a 6 month sub and someone gifts a year, 3 months of subscription money goes up in smoke :P

It is precautionary, yes.

Recurring upgrades can't be gifted, at the moment. If you're not seeing upgrades, that'll be why.

IIRC, there's no real technical reason why it can't be done. It just needs to be properly exposed in the UI so that the gifter can cancel that subscription easily. It's something I plan on looking in to but haven't had time.
Not at the moment. The idea is that it "stacks" but I realise it's probably not expected when upgrades are split in to length terms like that.

Last edited:
Sounds legit.

However, I think he means, if someone is on a recurring sub, and a person buys them a yearly. But I don't see this as an issue. That person can cancel their recurring and reap the benefit of the gifted one.

Not at the moment. The idea is that it "stacks" but I realise it's probably not expected when upgrades are split in to length terms like that.
Would it be difficult to add this as a feature in some way? A few different approaches could work.

• Hooking into XenForo's existing "Disabled user upgrades"
  • Adding a new list of upgrades like the above, explicitly for blocking gifting
  • Adding another usergroup selection that says user cannot be in to be gifted the upgrade if they're in it

I feel like the first one may be easiest. That way, the recurring subscriptions and the one-off gift versions can all list each other as disabled. If a user has a subscription or a gift active, they can't subscribe or be gifted it again until it expires.

Top Bottom