• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Galleria: The Basics

Jeremy

in memoriam 1991-2020
So, I'm throwing my hat into the gallery plugin. I'm hoping to have a private beta ready reallly soon. I'm on break and will be ramping up the development. Right now, I have it as a "basic" feature set that is still rich and powerful:
  1. Display as node or not.
  2. Categories and sub-categories.
  3. Image uploads.
  4. BB Code displays.
  5. Comments.
  6. Reporting.
  7. Liking
  8. Permissions.
  9. Approval.
  10. Tagging (search)
And let me tell you, the UI will be beautiful. I'm keeping that one as a surprise. So, what I'm looking for with this thread is feature suggestions on what you'd like in a gallery.

Edit: I will post the splash page with all my updated ACP navigation links some point tomorrow. I work in 7 hours and need sleep. :-/

I would have to assume he was referring to image tags so a user can relevantly search for like images...I could be wrong.

I am all for a well coded gallery addition. I would also donate or spend money on one as well.

It seems the feature set you have listed is a great start. I think ease of use for members to figure out how to upload or manage pictures is a must. Maybe optional tooltips that could be placed for members new to the gallery that they could turn off if they feel comfortable with the system?

Some sort of lightbox for full size images, whether it is lightbox, slimbox or whatever else would give that same feature.

Ease of use is my biggest concern as not all of us have sites where the members are tech savvy.

I'd like to see it fully integrated into the "Recent Activity", "Alerts" & "Like" system. Plus sidebar blocks to show recent/popular images on home and profile pages.

So, I'm throwing my hat into the gallery plugin. I'm hoping to have a private beta ready reallly soon. I'm on break and will be ramping up the development. Right now, I have it as a "basic" feature set that is still rich and powerful:
<snip>
And let me tell you, the UI will be beautiful. I'm keeping that one as a surprise. So, what I'm looking for with this thread is feature suggestions on what you'd like in a gallery.
Edit: I will post the splash page with all my updated ACP navigation links some point tomorrow. I work in 7 hours and need sleep. :-/

Well surprise, surprise! You sneaky lil devil you.
I agree with -GR- that ease of use is of most importance.
This is an exciting development, which I will be following closely.
yes.gif

Please also include:
  • Batch upload from web server (IE you would need to upload the files to the webserver via FTP and then import them into the gallery).
  • Upload from URL
  • Member categories

The option to use gd2 or imagemagik. I prefer imagemagik due to being able to process larger images but I know some people on shared hosting that might not have imagemagik installed and are stuck with gd2.

Good suggestions above that I was going to mention. -user tagging -when user tagged, or photos uploaded, shows up in the activity feed/your news feed. -if you get tagged, you get an alert -if you get tagged, a notice is placed on your recent activity in your profile -people that get tagged, can remove tag -admins can remove anyones tags -batch upload by selecting images in a folder and click upload all -each member can create their own galleries, also a profile photo gallery, and photos you're tagged in gallery -an all users galleries page -a website official gallery page

The option to use gd2 or imagemagik. I prefer imagemagik due to being able to process larger images but I know some people on shared hosting that might not have imagemagik installed and are stuck with gd2.

I prefer imagemagik as well.

I want it to be simple like Imageshack.us. That is why I hate photopost and photoplog because they are so complicated.

I want it to be simple like Imageshack.us. That is why I hate photopost and photoplog because they are so complicated.
I don't like image hosts period for the fact that once you post it there it is public property and you don't have the option of reneging that. Which is most of the reason I like this to-be mod.

I imagine this would run in a way where you upload similar to imageshack with the exception that it is integrated into a gallery display system geared toward the community posting it. I dunno but to me all imageshack is (don't get me wrong.. great idea for people who can't host their own files) for is a place to hotlink from whereas after uploading with this mod you have options after the upload for how to display this and where, along with whatever default actions this script will have. My goal for one of my projects is to be an isolated site for a private community and linking external content will be a no no. I can't wait to see the beta project in action.

As in "christmas" "puppy" etc.
Ah, so this was what you gave a sneak peek of on Twitter, I presume... :D Looking forward to seeing more!
It is.
I am all for a well coded gallery addition. I would also donate or spend money on one as well.

It seems the feature set you have listed is a great start. I think ease of use for members to figure out how to upload or manage pictures is a must. Maybe optional tooltips that could be placed for members new to the gallery that they could turn off if they feel comfortable with the system?

Some sort of lightbox for full size images, whether it is lightbox, slimbox or whatever else would give that same feature.

Ease of use is my biggest concern as not all of us have sites where the members are tech savvy.
The UI planned is very very similar to XenForo and any image handling will be done exactly or very similar to XenForo. Its that plan. :) Just wait till you see the UI. It's going to be awesome.

Top Bottom