XF 1.4 Where are the basic resources to learn Xenforo?

Delly

I installed Xenforo last evening (with the help of some of you :rolleyes:) and am now in the set-up process. I think much of my problem is with terminology and not knowing what things mean. I've been perusing the manual but things still don't make sense. For example:
  • I want to upload my logo and don't know where this "folder" is that's being referred to. How do I get to it? I assume all pictures, images, etc. are put in this "folder?"
  • Is there some place that explains what everything is in the admin panel? I'm reading the manual but I think the assumption is that you already know some basics.
Thank you for your help. Since I'm new to forum software, I'm feeling a little bit at a loss with all of this. Xenforo looks nothing like my WordPress sites :confused: I know how to use the Xenforo forum as a regular user but I know nothing about the admin panel and how to make all the necessary adjustments. Video tutorials are awesome if anyone knows where I can find some.

Yes, I've tried searching this site (for the last hour) but not much luck so far. Now, it's onto YouTube in search of videos...

You're all awesome (y) Thanks for any direction you can give me :)

Last edited:
The default style directory is styles\default.
Within that there is the default logo.png file which is located in styles\default\xenforo.

If you are using a third party style, it should have its own style directory.

Ideally you should create a duplicate style directory which you can then customise.

Then you can change any of the files without them being overwritten the next time you upgrade XenForo or your third party style.

Copy the default style directory and rename the folder.

Then create your own style in the ACP and set the image path to that folder.

Thank you(y) I actually decided to upload images into Photobucket and hot-linked the logo. So far, so good.
Why? If you have hosting, it makes more sense to store images on there, especially ones used in your style.

Besides, if there is an issue with the Photobucket site these images will not display. Even worse, if your account exceeds the bandwidth limit, you'll have Photobucket image can't be displayed images showing instead of your images.

Why? If you have hosting, it makes more sense to store images on there, especially ones used in your style.

Besides, if there is an issue with the Photobucket site these images will not display. Even worse, if your account exceeds the bandwidth limit, you'll have Photobucket image can't be displayed images showing instead of your images.
Good point... I think because I'm so new to this, I'm starting with "easy." I do know it will involve uploading my images via FileZilla but I've no clue where to actually put the images once I get to my c-panel (I use BlueHost). For now, I'm simply trying to get the forum up and running.

Personally I'd ignore cpanel and just jump in with an ftp client (I prefer WinSCP to Filezila). That's what I did when I first learned about managing a website.

As for where to put you images, that's your choice. Mine are kept in a folder I created that sits in the root alongside all of the folders that come with XenForo.

I know you want your site up and running now but you'd be better hosting the images correctly to start with than having to faff around later and changing their locations. You can make the errors now and correct them now when the site is new rather than later when it's busier with more members.

I see your point. I need to learn HOW to create a folder that sits in the root alongside my Xenforo folders. I've already started using FileZilla so can I continue with that? Would the instructions still be the same as with WinSCP? With my old website (that I now have in WordPress), I wrote my own CSS and designed an entire site with Kompozer but I had no clue what I was doing. I simply followed instructions and got lucky. :cool: This time around? I want to have an understanding of all that I do.

Cpanel is just a web interface to work with your server. Filezilla is a software interface on your computer to work with your server - as well as uploading files you can see the file structure, create new folders, move files etc. You don't need to use both. You don't create on Filezilla and transfer to cpanel. You create on your server using one of these interfaces. Filezilla (or my preference WinSCP) is just better to use than cpanel or other hosting interfaces and does more.

Just jump in, have a play and learn. You need to know these basics now before your site takes off or you will struggle latter on when it comes to more complex things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom