1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Basics of Styling XenForo [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Tips and Guides' started by Amaury, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Amaury submitted a new resource:

XenForo Styling - The Basics - A guide to the basics of XenForo styling.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    ForestForTrees, lmnop, whynot and 2 others like this.
  2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I've removed the videos showing the template edits, as I've changed my approach on that and do everything in EXTRA.css. Hopefully this weekend, I will make a new video showcasing that.

The videos showing the color palette and style properties are, of course, still there.

whynot likes this.
  3. garry420

garry420 Active Member

quite helpful will see when free

4. mightlife

mightlife Member

This is just what I'm after - video of the styling process, but I can't hear anything on the videos.
    Is it just me or is there no sound?

5. lmnop

lmnop Member

No sound.(y)

Bonsai Coder, mightlife and Amaury like this.
  6. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

This.

I didn't include music or anything so viewers could focus solely on what I was doing in the videos.

7. mightlife

mightlife Member

Amaury, I appreciate your work on the videos, but in my opinion, the lack of vocal clues (I wasn't expecting music ;)) makes them harder to learn from - it's not always obvious what changes have been made.

Thanks all the same.

8. lmnop

lmnop Member

Yeah, I have to agree - at some points I got lost and did not see what effect the change had on the page. On the other hand, I learned a lot about terminology for various page components. Very helpful to this novice!

9. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I do plan on making a new version at some point.

ForestForTrees and mightlife like this.
  10. mightlife

mightlife Member

Perhaps just a voice-over would be sufficient. If I had the time, I'd try it myself (let's be honest, that would be the best way to learn hehe) ;)

11. Bonsai Coder

Bonsai Coder Active Member

If it had some kind of sound, I'd give it an A.

Without sound, it is a C- at best. I have no idea what's supposed to be going on; for an instructional video it could use a lot of help. Without sound it's a video of someone clicking on a bunch of menus. I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish - or even in some cases what WAS accomplished.

12. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Other people have said that having sound is a distraction.

As for accomplishing stuff, the videos clearly show what I change and what my changes change.

13. Bonsai Coder

Bonsai Coder Active Member

If it doesn't work for me, it doesn't work for many people. If you have to try to convince me that your videos work, maybe you might want to consider that I am telling the truth?

14. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

This resource has been removed and is no longer available for download.

15. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Locked as requested.

Amaury likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.