• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Galleria: The Basics

Hello King,

May I suggest that if you are doing this, you may consider charging for it. Maybe not much $5 - $25 maybe. Whatever you think is right. The reason I say it is because I have been part of several development projects in the past, and I have myself started many a projects for free. The problem comes in after several months into the project and you may be in situations which you can't foresee atm. Having a revenue stream keeps motivation strong and is also better in the long run for end users. Just a suggestion... hope u don't mind....
In the start and current situation, I don't think its a good idea. If there's no problem at dev's end then we should start it with free for every xf licensed holder and after that you may offer a branding free version for donors. :)

You'll probably want importers for vBGallery, Photopost and Photoplog. That should grab nearly 100% of the folks out there.

Only just found this thread - it would be really useful to my site for sure.
From a photography point of view do you think its possible the system can load up the EXIF data from the JPG? I know this isn't something everyone would use, but it would be really great to have for a site like mine

I'm only an avid photographer, so not 100% sure what EXIF data really is. I can always look into it based on what is available in Zend and / or how hard it is. I'll look into that for v1.1 most likely.

I'm only an avid photographer, so not 100% sure what EXIF data really is. I can always look into it based on what is available in Zend and / or how hard it is. I'll look into that for v1.1 most likely.

Here's the explanation of the EXIF data: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format .... look towards the middle of the wiki where the "EXAMPLE" section is and you'll see what folks like to include with their pictures.

In the start and current situation, I don't think its a good idea. If there's no problem at dev's end then we should start it with free for every xf licensed holder and after that you may offer a branding free version for donors. :)

Id rather see this as a paid addon to give the author an incentive to keep working on it.

I'm interested if this can import from my vbgallery data from my vb database.
As long as I have databases to create importers for, I can write an importer.

php supports exif (if it's compiled => http://www.php.net/manual/en/exif.requirements.php ) but AFAIK there are some nice php classes which add exif support if it's not enabled

Let's release it without support, and maybe i'll code an addon for the gallery addon^^
Who says I'll make it add-on friendly. ;) haha. Just joking. If its not hard I may implement it for v1.0, but we shall see.

Id rather see this as a paid addon to give the author an incentive to keep working on it.
Here's my explaination on why it'll be free:

1. Charging for a product gives a sense of 'required support' and development.
2. I have 2 jobs, and attend secondary school (college) full time.
3. I can develop and give support, but it wouldn't be to a standard I feel someone should pay for (support wise, release schedule, etc. Quality won't be affected)
4. I don't have the time to manage licenses / piracy.

If it wasn't for those four reasons, I may have decided to release this as a paid add-on (the first for XF that I know of?).

Who says I'll make it add-on friendly. ;) haha. Just joking. If its not hard I may implement it for v1.0, but we shall see.

3. I can develop and give support, but it wouldn't be to a standard I feel someone should pay for (support wise, release schedule, etc. Quality won't be affected)

If it wasn't for those four reasons, I may have decided to release this as a paid add-on (the first for XF that I know of?).

You can keep Branding free/Donation option :) I am pretty sure people including me won't hesitate to help you .

Yes KK, do at least a branding free donation option so that we can support your efforts and hard work! :)

I understand, school should be your no 1 priority. :)

I'll be building importers, especially if you can give me a test import database.

It'll be powerful, but I'm not sure what photopost offers. I'm building a gallery I feel is solid enough for release. Support will be forever as its free, but I can't guarantee the time in between posts (I have 2 jobs + school).

I'd happily supply you with our vB4 vBGallery database tables, and will also happily donate to the cause of getting a working gallery developed. Chuck me a PM and I'll see to it that you get the gallery data :)

Thanks heaps for working on this. Can't wait to give it a test-go.

Oh, I'd like to request the ability to administrate settings on a per-usergroup basis, for example to allow paying members additional space, bigger images, etc, and the ability to easily allow or disallow access to specific categories. Preferably in a way that is easier than the current system implemented in vBGallery for vB4.

Oh, I'd like to request the ability to administrate settings on a per-usergroup basis, for example to allow paying members additional space, bigger images, etc, and the ability to easily allow or disallow access to specific categories. Preferably in a way that is easier than the current system implemented in vBGallery for vB4.
I intend to take full advantage of the XF permission system. That means, mimic the node permissions.

King, you think out your hack when ?

I'm sorry? I hope to bust out a private beta within the next two weeks (meaning enough functionality that a few people can come to a private site and beat it up), then once I get most of the other functionality done, I will go public. Hopefully in a few weeks.

Top Bottom