free beta or buy a license

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameR

A beta phase are free, or must paid for a license to get a beta version?

I think a free beta is good for get more customers.

A beta phase are free, or must paid for a license to get a beta version?

I think a free beta is good for get more customers.

Beta versions are usually free but to a select few for testing and reporting bugs.

To me that was one of vBulletin's big mistakes, they allowed all customers who had purchased the software to use a beta version. Too many cooks and all that...

I know, but look at WoltLab, they give the Beta-Version 3.0 and 3.1 for free out to all interest persons. ;)

To find bugs, the way to make a free beta is better, as a closed beta.

Right, but when xenForo have a good exception and error handler, and i think Kier and Mike build a good error handler, a person only must copy the message and post it here. ;)

That's only if you get an error.

What about features that work but not right?

I would love a beta version, free or paid just so I can get my hands on this tasty baby but I don't know what I'm chatting.

Therefor I would prefer to wait and have this tasty baby when it's ready and I can concentrate on using her.

Another thread on this? *sigh*

XenForo is not an established company with a guaranteed revenue stream like other examples listed above. Kier and Mike can't keep working for free.

XenForo has been extensively tested not only here at XenForo.com for the last ~2 months but also on another forum for 2 months prior to that. XenForo 1.0 will be more stable than any .0 release of forum software in the past, because it will have 4+ months of field testing under its belt. There is no reason to give away the Beta.

Feldon30, i think, you do not understand what i mean.

I say not, that xenForo is a freee software, i ask for a beta-phase.

And feldon, sorry when i say this... you know about php and server configurations? You know, that exists many php-configurations and mysql-configurations? You know, that only a frontend test not show all bugs? Please first create a programm and than talk about this. To find bugs here is good, but many bugs are show frist, when you have the programm in a create beta test on many servers with diffrent configurations.

GameR has a point there... There's a great deal of value in having a large number of people that represent your potential customer base, run through the install and configuration. Finding out before launch what mistakes are likely to be made by the inexperienced can greatly reduce your support problems when you release the live product.

But I'm QUITE sure that Mike and Kier know all the implications of beta testing far FAR better than we do...

IOW

Relax, they know what they are doing :). It's not like this is the first time Kier and Mike have released something like this ;).

Ok I just want to add something here.

The OP's post and subject sounded like "I want something for free!"

His followup however has been a persuasive "How are you going to test on different hardware and software configurations?"

If he had started with that, I would have had a totally different response. I don't know Kier and Mike's exact plans for the beta, but it seems likely to me that, as with vBulletin in the 3.x days, XenForo will see some adoption on test sites before it officially goes on sale.

Ok.
I worked for woltlab, and we offer the beta of a new version (3.0 and 3.1) for free. Later, for the final version, the people must paid, and this is ok.

Some reasons for a free beta are for example:
More testers, who test the software, and you found more bugs. And all testers are potential customers. ;)

I know, that xenForo become a comercial software, and i think, this is good. So i ask only, if is a beta exists, is this beta free, or must we buy a license. :) Both is ok for me. ;)

Nothing against a free-beta.
To prevent, that people keep using the beta after the software is released (and never buy the software) Kier could code in something like an expiration date...
Software is released -> Beta version goes in offlinemode with a note to buy the software to use it...

Only a thought, I even would pay for the beta. :D

To prevent, that people keep using the beta after the software is released (and never buy the software) Kier could code in something like an expiration date...
Software is released -> Beta version goes in offlinemode with a note to buy the software to use it...

A software timebomb can always be removed. There's no point in that really.

Another software company I helped out did this by encoding two main files with a timer that would only allow each version to run for 7-14days (From release day not install day) then they would release another beta version with some minor fixes that would work for another 7-14days and so on until they released the final version and that was decrypted and charged for.

There are still going to be a small few that will decode the files and null the software but this is expected, and can just be pursued as normal pirates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom