free beta or buy a license

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameR

A beta phase are free, or must paid for a license to get a beta version?

I think a free beta is good for get more customers.

I'm totally against and open beta, paid or free.

I still think it should be done by people that Kier and Mike know and trust.

It has both its good and bad points...

Good... More people test the software on more system setups and so more bugs are found and fixed faster, and so it can accelerate the process.

Bad... More people test the software and more people raise the same pointless not really bugs over and over again and so it can slow the process.

No people say, that's a problem, to pay for a beta-version. ;)

Are exists good and important points for a free beta test, and also for a closed beta test. ;)

So, when Kier and Mike say, that gives a closed test, is ok, and when they say, that gives a open beta test, than is ok too.

How so? Giving the software to people to test is a great way to make it more stable.

In my opinion that was a mistake vBulletin made.

More people testing should help the developers in theory but in practice it doesn't always work like that.

One problem, which has already been mention by Ceri May if I remember right, is there will be bugs, or worse still not bugs, posted numerous times by numerous members - Kier & Mike will end up spending nearly as much time going through the forums/tracker marking items duplicate and not relevant as they will actually fixing bugs.

The other problem is noobs, and I say that with respect.

If every single customer was developer minded then it would work but most of us aren't. There will be countless bug reports where the person reporting them hasn't got a clue what they're chatting - Kier & Mike will have to try decipher what the hell it is they're talking about and asking them to make it clearer. This time could be spend fixing things and adding new features.

Like I said, it's my honest opinion that a closed beta would be more efficient than an open beta.

Whilst I see where you're coming from, look at what happened the last time there was a closed beta?

I think it might be useful to have some sort of application procedure, open to everyone, but include as many people as possible. Things such as development skills could be tested in the application process or whatever.

Whilst I see where you're coming from, look at what happened the last time there was a closed beta?

I think it might be useful to have some sort of application procedure, open to everyone, but include as many people as possible. Things such as development skills could be tested in the application process or whatever.

Again while Kier & Mike are going through this process they're not working on the software.

I'm sure they know enough people who they trust and have some sort of design/developing knowledge to be able to test the software.

Again while Kier & Mike are going through this process they're not working on the software.

I'm sure they know enough people who they trust and have some sort of design/developing knowledge to be able to test the software.
They don't have to approve the people for the process. Ashley and the mods could sort this through. Having a limited, closed system creates platform issues.

Sure they could get someone to carry out that process for them, but the only way they could make sure that the right people get through is by doing it themselves, which, as Doctor said, would waste what precious development time they have.

Sure they could get someone to carry out that process for them, but the only way they could make sure that the right people get through is by doing it themselves, which, as Doctor said, would waste what precious development time they have.
That does raise the question of if having such a small development team will cause wider issues.

That does raise the question of if having such a small development team will cause wider issues.
That question is better suited for another thread. This thread is about the/a beta and whether it'll open/closed or free/paid.
However, I will say that I think Kier/Mike have already thought about the size of their development team and will look into it when it actually becomes a problem. However, as I said, this thread is not about what they plan to do about the size of their development team, it is all about the/a beta.

I want to buy this XF-software now / as soon as possible.
I do not care whether you call it Alpha, Beta, Gamma or whatever.

I am also fine if there are still some bugs in there, which can and will be ironed out at a later release anyway.

I do not want anything for free and am fine to pay for it. There is no free lunch, not even on the internet......just give me the product.

I want to buy this XF-software now / as soon as possible.
I do not care whether you call it Alpha, Beta, Gamma or whatever.

I am also fine if there are still some bugs in there, which can and will be ironed out at a later release anyway.

I do not want anything for free and am fine to pay for it. There is no free lunch, not even on the internet......just give me the product.

I very much doubt you'll get a copy until Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom