ForumApps presents Native XenForo Apps for iOS and Android

Is app usage constrained by permissions or user group? i.e. only users (or user groups) I define can use the app?
No that not our intent with the app. In case this is something that will be beneficial to a lot of users in terms of user upgrades, we'd be willing to explore this.

Is the Admob advertising our own? Eg. Our advertising account? Or yours?
Your own Admob account.

What is the timeframe for supporting XF add-ons?
After setting up the first 10 apps, we would require about 1 month to support XenResources and XenMedia.

Are image uploads native to the app? Eg. Can be at the post submit button, and have the option to take a photo and have it automatically added to the post?
Currently, we don't have native image uploads, since our API is just a bridge with how XenForo processes things in the backend. We are trying to figure that part of the equation out. This is a measure to increase the safety and compatibility with XenForo.
But, we are working on it a we speak and it is estimated to be finished by tomorrow night.

$20/month is a no go for me in the first place.
We absolutely understand that and our apps are targeted for thriving communities which are willing to invest in the future of their communities.
However do let us know what could we add to justify the value of the app for you and your community.

No that not our intent with the app. In case this is something that will be beneficial to a lot of users in terms of user upgrades, we'd be willing to explore this.
You charge by the month, and I need to ensure ROI for this. As well as enticing members to become premium members and be able to use the app .Thus, app usage for users within paid usergroup only.

I think $20/mth is too high for a basic app that supports forums only.

You charge by the month, and I need to ensure ROI for this. As well as enticing members to become premium members and be able to use the app .Thus, app usage for users within paid usergroup only.

I think $20/mth is too high for a basic app that supports forums only.

Could you share the URL of your forum? It would help me figure out some monetization strategies that could ensure you your ROI.

ease of uploading photos is essential.
Agreed. If I was to consider an app like this (yes I'm desperate to get away from Tapatalk, lol) it would have to be very easy to do multiple image uploads as my forum is very photo heavy, my current attachments are at about 14GB and a lot of attachments come from Tapatalk users as it is so easy to upload photo's via Tapatalk. Looking forward to hopefully using your app one day. (y)

Agreed. If I was to consider an app like this (yes I'm desperate to get away from Tapatalk, lol) it would have to be very easy to do multiple image uploads as my forum is very photo heavy, my current attachments are at about 14GB and a lot of attachments come from Tapatalk users as it is so easy to upload photo's via Tapatalk. Looking forward to hopefully using your app one day. (y)
I'd be very interested in this, but will wait for the native image support as I have a travel forum and ease of uploading photos is essential. :)

We just finished developing the API for attachments. We'll work on integrating it into the apps and test it tomorrow and will both of you updated.

I used the gamerebels app, and a few important things are missing.

- You can't edit your profile at all, can't update avatar, homepage, about me, nothing
- No hovering create thread button
- No smilie button on reply
- Can't see who's online

are these planned?

I used the gamerebels app, and a few important things are missing.

- You can't edit your profile at all, can't update avatar, homepage, about me, nothing
- No hovering create thread button
- No smilie button on reply
- Can't see who's online

are these planned?

-> This is currently planned, editing user profiles is our next priority.
-> You might not have the permissions to post in that forum.
-> We have emojis on mobile, so we haven't thought about adding smilies yet.
-> We don't have any plans to implement this in near future.

What's the difference with this app and the Tapatalk BYO app, which is only $10/month?
The number one concern with Tapatalk is the privacy of your users. The entire data of your server is passed through tapatalk and the privacy of your users might be a concern with that.
Besides that Tapatalk is a generalized app where as this is exclusively built for the XenForo community.

We absolutely understand that and our apps are targeted for thriving communities which are willing to invest in the future of their communities.
However do let us know what could we add to justify the value of the app for you and your community.

You will literally be the most expensive service and app I would have ever invested in for a business in regards to iOS. Sorry, and thriving communities shouldn't be just your target audience, there are enough massive big boards out there that "thrive" on just having content for their niche community without advertisements, premium accounts, sponsorships, etc. Just because they want to have a community and have a hobby, and aren't a business.

It is nothing against you, I fully support this idea and I think it is pretty cool. It's just out of budget for anybody that doesn't have advertisers, sponsors, users who are the product, and all that stuff, and therefor have a budget for extra things like 'a nicer gui for mobile' when the product itself could suffice (but 1.5 is quite terrible for mobile obviously). Big boards usually also have enough other recurring bills for service, maintenance, support contracts, mitigation of traffic, staff members, etc, that another $20/month means the budget is getting eaten away and they feel forced to end up pushing more merch or content down the users their throats. While $20 sounds reasonable, it really adds up quickly, on top of everything, whether it's for a business site or a hobby site. Especially when it's just an iOS app where even subscriptions to dropbox aren't more than $100/yr etc.

Just saying, sorry if it offends you. For the sites that I help run, or run myself, this doesn't fit the budget. Especially knowing this is fresh and new and upgrades to version 2 of xenforo and support for quick fixes are unproven, and it's already known the price will go up in the future.

Consider it please as constructive feedback and my point of view as admin on quite a few boards (and I don't mean 3. or 10.) of which a third are thriving communities still.

This app is less expensive than vbresults isn't it? It's hard to tell with the price and setup costs changing all the time

EDIT: I misunderstood the statement
You will literally be the most expensive service and app I would have ever invested in for a business in regards to iOS. Sorry, and thriving communities shouldn't be just your target audience, there are enough massive big boards out there that "thrive" on just having content for their niche community without advertisements, premium accounts, sponsorships, etc. Just because they want to have a community and have a hobby, and aren't a business.

Yeah, it might be, if you paid for it, but it could be the most valuable too.

Last edited:

It is nothing against you, I fully support this idea and I think it is pretty cool. It's just out of budget for anybody that doesn't have advertisers, sponsors, users who are the product, and all that stuff, and therefor have a budget for extra things like 'a nicer gui for mobile' when the product itself could suffice (but 1.5 is quite terrible for mobile obviously). Big boards usually also have enough other recurring bills for service, maintenance, support contracts, mitigation of traffic, staff members, etc, that another $20/month means the budget is getting eaten away and they feel forced to end up pushing more merch or content down the users their throats. While $20 sounds reasonable, it really adds up quickly, on top of everything, whether it's for a business site or a hobby site. Especially when it's just an iOS app where even subscriptions to dropbox aren't more than $100/yr etc.

Just saying, sorry if it offends you. For the sites that I help run, or run myself, this doesn't fit the budget. Especially knowing this is fresh and new and upgrades to version 2 of xenforo and support for quick fixes are unproven, and it's already known the price will go up in the future.

Consider it please as constructive feedback and my point of view as admin on quite a few boards (and I don't mean 3. or 10.) of which a third are thriving communities still.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I understand the position of boards here.

We just finished developing the API for attachments. We'll work on integrating it into the apps and test it tomorrow and will both of you updated.

Would file size limits. dimensions, ability to post thumb or full apply to the app as they do on web? Would images resize on the fly like they do on the web? Typically 5mb images get reduced down to around 200kb on my forums

While $20 sounds reasonable, it really adds up quickly, on top of everything, whether it's for a business site or a hobby site.

I have 2 closely related forums & communities with & couldn't offer this to just one - it would have to be both. We don't serve ads. This would push our costs up by nearly 70%

Would file size limits. dimensions, ability to post thumb or full apply to the app as they do on web? Would images resize on the fly like they do on the web? Typically 5mb images get reduced down to around 200kb on my forums
We are using the same algorithm XenForo uses to upload the file as well as render them. If you could PM me a file which compressed from 5Mb to 200kb on XenForo. I'd be able to show you proper results.

Result to the file you sent which has been uploaded by web interface and API is the same as seen below.
Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 6.36.28 AM.webp

Here XenForo is responsible for reduction in size of the ~9.1MB file. It is actually resizing it to a dimension on 1280x1280 which can be modified from the options setting in the admin area.

In conclusion: API will perform the same level of compression.

Tapatalk BYO app, which is only $10/month?
To be fair, if you want to compare with Tapatalk, then you might want to make sure you're comparing the right version. For the branded version with Tapatalk branding removed along with it being released under your company name and accounts is $40/m. Which this app does for half the cost :)

If the design gets cleaned up, following Material Design guidelines, I'll be more interested.

Can you add registration/sign-in via Google, Facebook, and Twitter (if enabled on the host forum)?

How about a forum logo in place of the text name of the forum in places like the splash screen, login page, etc?

Top Bottom