1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum spam, nothing working.

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by mikeambrose3, Feb 25, 2013.

1. mikeambrose3

mikeambrose3 Member

Right now my forum uses about three different anti-spam plugins such as StopForumSpam+API, the XenUtiles built-in one, and utilizes recaptcha and questions. About two weeks ago the spam bots started happening again, and nothing is stopping them from registering. I have no clue what to do, and deleting 30 spam posts a day does get quite annoying. If anyone has any recommendations on how to lessen or stop these, please post.
  2. Dodgeboard

Dodgeboard Well-Known Member

I would check your settings in XenUtiles. This should not be happening. I get hundreds of failed attempts a day. Not more than one ever couple of days gets through. Do you have a Honeypot add-on installed? I've heard they are very effective, but have as of yet not needed one as XenUtiles is just that good!
  3. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

I tweaked my Q/A questions about a week ago. Haven't had any spammers get past them since.

I also run XenUtiles. It was catching all of them before that, but I figured I should probably be a little more proactive.
  4. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

Try keycaptcha or are you a human. Or just follow the link in my signature, it provides some good tips on dealing with it.
  5. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Grab the reg form timer, should sort you out ;)
  6. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Never get any spam using foolbot honeypot
    mikeambrose3 likes this.
  7. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

SFS + all 4 APIs and good question and answer works great for me. 0 spam in 5+ months
    Dodgeboard likes this.
  8. Avramski

Avramski Member

If you use the Q&A captcha, it all depends on how you word your question. If Wolfram Alpha can find the answer, then the chances are that bots will be able to answer it, as, to the best of my knowledge, most bots check with Wolfram when they attempt to register.
  9. mikeambrose3

mikeambrose3 Member

I'll check that out soon.

Also it seems that the accounts used to spam were created weeks earlier, but they're just now being used. So I guess I'll just have to wait out the "wave".