1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive Increase In Forum Spam?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by |Jordan|, Feb 13, 2014.

1. |Jordan|

|Jordan| Active Member

Anyone else notice that lately there has been a massive increase in forum spammers?

I manage a forum for my work and on a daily basis around 2 to 4 spammers sign up and spam. The forum has StopSpamHere addon (with StopForumSpam, SpamBusted, FSpamList and BotScout databases) and still the spammers are getting through.

I'm pretty sure its an overseas call centre style operation (people sitting at computers, registering and spamming) because i haven't been able to find any information in the news about Google Recaptcha being cracked.

2. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

I never had any spam problem with XenForo. Do you use Google ReCaptcha?

3. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Don't look for it in the News, it's been cracked years ago.

4. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Look for an alternative CAPTCHA program. I'm currently using Solve Media.

THOUSANDS have tried getting through to no avail. :D

CXTypeIns.png

I still get at least one or two spammers per day or week depending on how persistent the spammer is.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  5. lazy llama

lazy llama Well-Known Member

Loving their technical explanation :D
    http://solvemedia.co.uk/security/index.html

I presume they're using a turbo-encabulator!

wedgar likes this.
  6. DirtRider

DirtRider Guest

I have not noticed much more than normal but for some reason it does look like the StopSpamHere has not been as effective as it normally was. I am also using this one that seems to have stopped anything that is getting through the StopSpamHere

Ban by Hostname

7. dvsDave

dvsDave Well-Known Member

I use a tried and true method of image questions and I don't write a question in the question field. I put the question in the graphic to help keep the spambots from being able to guess the answer based on keywords in the questions, i.e., on or off, yes or no, number of, etc.

The font is one I found that is designed to defeat OCR (Optical Character Recognition) This approach has proven very, very effective.

676829_54964546.jpg

Moshe1010 likes this.
  8. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

I just using my own Q&A.

And because my site is an animanga-game oriented, so I change my question regularly based on this season anime. :D

9. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

I have never had a single non-human spammer on my XF install. Which I am :eek: about.

10. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

I'm using Q&A in non-English language, so it's basically impossible to get through automatically. I also had 100% success with KEyCaptcha