Font Awesome Manager

Font Awesome Manager 1.2.7

No permission to download
But why you see a problem doing this procedure on my localhost?
Because it just doesn't work (without a lot of effort).

I just don't know what the result is.
The "result" of a FAM rebuild run are subsetted font resource files (*-min.woff, *-min.woff2, etc.) and a cache in the database containing informationen about the icons included in those subsets.

You could manually copy those files and the cache from dev to production, but it won't have any effect (besides probably leaving some traces in logfiles due to the copy process and increased disk space usage) if FAM isn't installed on the production system.

I have no idea about that. It will be like you say.
I thought a script will watch all files and database to find all fonts, then make a list, then build a file with these icons.
Upload file. Finish. :)

The "result" of a FAM rebuild run are subsetted font resource files (*-min.woff, *-min.woff2, etc.) and a cache in the database containing informationen about the icons included in those subsets.

You could manually copy those files and the cache from dev to production, but it won't have any effect (besides probably leaving some traces in logfiles due to the copy process and increased disk space usage) if FAM isn't installed on the production system.
🤔 Can't he rename the locally built files (i.e. remove the min. part) and overwrite the files on his live server to have at least the font files minimized?

Overwriting the original files with the subset versions would cause file health check errors, but if @Robert9 doesn't mind that - yes, this would work.

It would still be less efficient than unsing FAM on the production system though as fa.css would still include definitions for all icons and usually 3 font resource files (selected weight, solid and brands) would be preloaded via font_awesome_setup - instead of juse one file with FAM recommended configuration.

I have installed this add-on, but the website https://pagespeed.web.dev still says that I am using very large files:
…fa/fa-regular-400.woff2?_v=5.15.3 ....................165 KiB
...fa/fa-solid-900.woff2?_v=5.15.3..........................134 KiB
…fa/fa-brands-400.woff2?_v=5.15.3 .................... 76 KiB

Please help me...

…fa/fa-regular-400.woff2?_v=5.15.3 ....................165 KiB
...fa/fa-solid-900.woff2?_v=5.15.3..........................134 KiB
…fa/fa-brands-400.woff2?_v=5.15.3 .................... 76 KiB
Those are the original files which means that the Add-on is not working (correctly) which usually indicates that it isn't configured correctly.

Please help me...
Please read the FAQ carefully, check your settings, set Log level to Debug, perform a manual Rebuild and test the site again.

If it does work: Great :) Please set logging to a lower level again - otherwise please post the rebuild log.

Last edited:
After installing the "Font Awesome Manager", I lost "moon" and "lightbulb" from Add-on "[cXF] Light and dark mode switch".

1682281431446.png

Please help me...

Last edited:
After installing the "Font Awesome Manager", I lost "moon" and "lightbulb" from Add-on "[cXF] Light and dark mode switch".
you should be able to manually add these icons in the admin cp: admin.php?options/groups/kirbyFAM/

=> add moon and lightbulb-on as "Solid" icons.

As far as I can see from the screenshot you are using Font Awesome in Regular and the icons are in Regular as well?

If this case they should be detected automatically (if build mode is set to Automatic); if the weight the icons are used in differs from the default Font Awesome icon weight in the style they must be added to the appropriate list manually as explained in the FAQ.
(Another option is to temporarily enable Automatically add missing icons - this is also explained in the FAQ).

I believe that is correct, otherwise it won’t load icons outside of the core xenForo ones.
This is not correct. FAM will (well, at least it should) detect most icons that are used in the Font Awesome weight selected for the style; if the weight differs they must be added manually.

Last edited:
Small fyi because I know you like attention to detail @digitalpoint.

The FA icon on the staff bar - it doesn't display if you have @Kirby's Font Awesome Manager installed. In Safari it actually does display the icon (at least for me) but in Firefox it doesn't. Obviously I have to add the icon to the FA manager
[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics uses a somewhat "Non XenForo-Standard" way to display Font Awesome icons:
Code:
<i class="fa fa-analytics"></i>

This causes the icons to be always displayed in solid (instead of the selected Font Awesome weight for the style).

Font Awesome Manager (currently) does not detect that this icon is required in solid and therefore the icon won't be included in the mandatory subset.
This is a limitation of the Add-on that is extensively explained in the FAQ.

There are several option to deal with this:
  1. You can manually add the required icon to the appropriate icon list (in this specific case it would be Solid Icons)
  2. You can temporarily turn on option Automatically add missing icons as suggested by @NealC
  3. You can turn off style property Only use CSS for selected weight to use the the main subsets for all weights
    Pro: Easy
    Contra: Increases CSS size and font resource download size
  4. You could change the HTML injected by the @digitalpoint Add-on (via a template modificartion with a higher execution order) to be more XenForo standard, eg. smth. like
    Code:
    <xf:fa icon="fa-analytics" />
    This would cause the icon to be used in whatever Font Awesome weight is selected for the style (like almost all icons in XenForo); FAM would detect this automatically
I'd go for option 1) or 4) - the latter one being the most efficient as icon analytics will already be in the main subset anyway.

and there isn't too much you can do on your end, but I guess you could ask Kirby to add the icon by default if it matters to you
As already pointed out, if the Add-on used the icon via standard <xf:fa /> instead of forcing it to Solid it would work out of the box for everybody - but that change would need to be done by @digitalpoint.

I will not add the specific icon to the Solid Icons list as that would be inefficient for most users.

[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics uses a somewhat "Non XenForo-Standard" way to display Font Awesome icons:
Code:
<i class="fa fa-analytics"></i>

This causes the icons to be always displayed in solid (instead of the selected Font Awesome weight for the style).

Font Awesome Manager (currently) does not detect that this icon is required in solid and therefore the icon won't be included in the mandatory subset.
This is a limitation of the Add-on that is extensively explained in the FAQ.

There are several option to deal with this:
  1. You can manually add the required icon to the appropriate icon list (in this specific case it would be Solid Icons)
  2. You can temporarily turn on option Automatically add missing icons as suggested by @NealC
  3. You can turn off style property Only use CSS for selected weight to use the the main subsets for all weights
    Pro: Easy
    Contra: Increases CSS size and font resource download size
  4. You could change the HTML injected by the @digitalpoint Add-on (via a template modificartion with a higher execution order) to be more XenForo standard, eg. smth. like
    Code:
    <xf:fa icon="fa-analytics" />
    This would cause the icon to be used in whatever Font Awesome weight is selected for the style (like almost all icons in XenForo); FAM would detect this automatically
I'd go for option 1) or 4) - the latter one being the most efficient as icon analytics will already be in the main subset anyway.

As already pointed out, if the Add-on used the icon via standard <xf:fa /> instead of forcing it to Solid it would work out of the box for everybody - but that change would need to be done by @digitalpoint.

I will not add the specific icon to the Solid Icons list as that would be inefficient for most users.
#4 would probably be the best choice. The reason it’s not using the <xf:fa /> tag is that would be the only thing that’s going on that would bump the minimum requirements to XF 2.1 rather than XF 2.0, and didn’t seem like enough to warrant upping the system requirements. When we want to use something more substantial that will require going to 2.1 or higher, we’d also change to use the fa tag.

The reason it’s not using the <xf:fa /> tag is that would be the only thing that’s going on that would bump the minimum requirements to XF 2.1 rather than XF 2.0
You could support <xf:fa /> on 2.1+ without breaking backwards compatibility by using a callback instead of regex TMS :)

You could support <xf:fa /> on 2.1+ without breaking backwards compatibility by using a callback instead of regex TMS :)
Ya, I already made a change for the next version that supports <xf:fa /> if the version is >= 2.1 (and not if it's XF 2.0). Not with a callback, but same principle in the end.

Easy enough to sort out on my end now that someone told me what it is the your addon is looking for exactly.

No matter what, I'm unable to include a specific icon and there are no errors even with info set as Log level
The HTML shows usage of a Duotone icon - did you set style property Enable Font Awesome Duotone Icons = Yes?
(It's disabled by default as XenForo does not use Duotone icons at all and removing this saves quite a bit CSS)

Adding this icon to the Light/Regular/Solid icons lists is not necessary.

Please note that enabling duotone icons does increase CSS size and requires another font resource file to be downloaded; personally I'd say this is waay to much overhead for one icon.

So unless you use more Duotone icons it might be better to change the icon so it uses the default Font Awesome weight selected for the style.

Last edited:
I admit I didn't have the time to read every post/available info, so I'll just ask

So if I buy Font Awesome Pro, and use their icons all over my page, and then use this add-on, it'll essentially create a faster local version of those FA icons that my forum will use instead of grabbing the icons every time from FA, correct?

Cheers!

No.

You don't need to buy a FA 5 Pro license to use FA 5 Pro icons with XenForo, it's already licensed and served from your domain - with or without using this Add-on.

What this Add-ons does is that it "trims" down the CSS and font reourse files so they only contain icons that area "actually used" (instead of all icons like it would be the default).

Last edited:
Top Bottom