Compatible XF 2.x versions
  1. 2.2
Additional requirements
proc_open must not be disabled
License
MIT
Visible branding
No
XenForo uses the icon font Font Awesome Pro 5 that contains over 7.000 icons of which XenForo typically uses only a few hundred.
But as all icons are included in the CSS and font files, browsers have to download the full font files and CSS which does cause a significant overhead in most cases.

By subsetting the font to include only those icons that are actually being used, the size of the font files and CSS can often be drastically reduced which does improve page loading time.
Typically, the size of the font files can be reduced by over 80%.

This Add-on does allow to automate the process of creating subsets as much as possible:
  • It can automatically scan the database and PHP files for Font Awesome icon references
  • It can monitor database entities (like Phrases, Templates, BB-Codes, etc.) for changes and adjust the subset accordingly
  • It can perform subsetting using locally installed fonttools/pyftsubset or transfonter.org
  • It does allow you to easily add icons that are not discovered automatically
  • It does allow you to exclude icons that have been discovered automatically but are not actually being used (for example if the feature that uses them is not being used)
  • It can exclude certain templates or files from being scanned (which can be useful if those reference icons without actually using them)
  • It does offer various strategies to load subsets and CSS
  • It does support AMPXF
If pyftsubset is not available, this Add-on does use https://transfonter.org to create the subsets, eg. it does make calls to this service during installation and normal operation.

Transfonter.org cannot be used any longer since about January 2022 as the service is actively blocking requests by XenForo.
Please note that it is therefore now a requirement for this Add-on to have pyftsubset/fonttools installed on your server.
If pyftsubset cannot be installed system-wide for whatever reason, it might still be possible to use a precompiled binary.

Thanks to @Andro, @rdn, @Nirjonadda, @frm, @Ivancas, @Anatoliy, @briansol, @Masetrix, @duderuud and all others who helped in private beta testing.
This Add-on wouldn't be as usable as it is (well at least I think it is usable ;)) without your feedback!
Related resources
  • fam-style-properties.png
    fam-style-properties.png
    45 KB · Views: 1,260
  • fam-options.png
    fam-options.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,257
Author
Kirby
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 24 ratings

More resources from Kirby

Latest updates

1. 1.2.3.1 - Patch Release

Bugs Fixed Fixed wrong variable name introduced in 1.2.3 that caused an error if Log level is...
  2. 1.2.3 - Security & Bugfix Release

Bugs Fixed Fixed typo in XFRM entity definition that causes an error when touching XFRM...
  3. 1.2.2 - First Anniversary Bugfix Release

About one year ago I published the first public release of this Add-on (after about two years...

Latest reviews

Awesome add-on!
It incredibly drops the page load and Google Page Speed TTI value, while amazingly rising the Performance score by at least 40 points!

A must-have add-on that should be there as a XF core feature!

Thanks for your work, Kirby!
This is a MUST HAVE addon. Shows dramatic improvements to site performance. Amazing dev who helped me out via DM. A few steps need to be taken (but they have been documented really well), but it is well worth it. Thank you Kirby!
One of my favorite plugins! It improves front-end performance scores and reduced my site's bandwidth usage by 15GB/day. Configuration is easy, couldn't ask for more. Thank you, Kirby. 🏆
This plugin is awesome...
Global reduction of 80%, from 563kb to less than 60, really amazing!

Also, Kirby helped me in DM to optimize and fit to my needs...
Fantastic! I've been cursing the performance challenges of Xenforo (just migrated from phpBB) when my rankings and traffic started to drop due to Google's Pagespeed numbers. I'd tried numerous things, but this is by far the BEST bump back up. Thank you!
Thanks for this great free addon, Google score was 64 before and now it's 97 !! It works like a charm !
Absolutely amazing addon! Quickly checking some pages the average loaded fonts were before this addon 585kB.. After installing it loads roughly 50kB, a reduction of ~92% in size.. This should be installed all XF forums :)
Thanks @Kirby !

This tool is one of the best enhancements for XF 2.x anywhere.
This gives XF a turbo, even with mobile sites: D
Easy to install, very good FAQ in case of problems and really free of charge.
One of the single greatest addons you can add to your XF2 site right now. Thats about all I have to say.
Thank you so much @kirby for this critical and wonderful addon! IMHO this functionality should be core and is essential for any administrator that takes speed and optimization serious. A very valuable addon which works like a charm.