Fixed Width

Mark.B

Had to do a new thread for this to draw attention to it, I spotted earlier that the style chooser has been enabled and there's a fixed width style available.

For those of us who are fans of fixed width styles on forums, try it out...XF looks even MORE amazing in fixed width.

There's validity in both views...my site is fixed width but has an option in the UserCP to go fluid//full width (it's not a separate style, it's a user option).

Myself, personally, I like the neatness a fixed width style gives, and it looks brilliant on here I have to say. But it's one of those personal preferences, there's no right or wrong.

Had to do a new thread for this to draw attention to it, I spotted earlier that the style chooser has been enabled and there's a fixed width style available.
For those of us who are fans of fixed width styles on forums, try it out...XF looks even MORE amazing in fixed width.

I switched to fixed width early today, and you're right it looks awesomer.

I wish fixed widths would die... no offense. :D
I also don't like fixed width in forums. :D
Still using 1024x768?

No, and that definitely isn't a reason why some people like fluid styles over fixed styles.;)
Ah, you like to cover up the pr0n while at work. I see. :p

But fixed width is still widely used and desired, not only because of wide screens but many site designs would suffer badly with fluid.

Personally, I like blocks of text to be no more than about 500-600 pixels wide. Anything more slows reading and makes the process feel more unnatural. I'll show something in a moment...

The reason why fixed width is easier to read is the human eye has limited side to side movement which remains comfortable so trying to read text which spans the whole width of a 24" screen introduces strain which then causes you to move your head to compensate.

What XenForo is currently set to is just about right.
Although I will increase it ever so slightly as I need 800px width as a minimum.

Personally, I like blocks of text to be no more than about 500-600 pixels wide. Anything more slows reading and makes the process feel more unnatural. I'll show something in a moment...

This is what I'm talking about:

optimal-text-width-jpg.238

Attachments

• Optimal-text-width.webp
    Optimal-text-width.webp
    185.4 KB · Views: 345
Top Bottom