Fixed Width

Mark.B

Had to do a new thread for this to draw attention to it, I spotted earlier that the style chooser has been enabled and there's a fixed width style available.

For those of us who are fans of fixed width styles on forums, try it out...XF looks even MORE amazing in fixed width.

But when that line gets much bigger into the case of many many lines... it is not comfortable to be turning your head back and forth to get from the end of one line to the beginning of the next... On my screen if I have fluid width on and browser maximized reading a big block of text is like being at Wimbledon... My head has to turn so much...

Yeh, but after years of doing it you get used to it ;)

But when that line gets much bigger into the case of many many lines... it is not comfortable to be turning your head back and forth to get from the end of one line to the beginning of the next... On my screen if I have fluid width on and browser maximized reading a big block of text is like being at Wimbledon... My head has to turn so much...

I don't have that problem, as I don't turn my head, but I can see your point.

I can say that this is the first forum I've liked the fixed width format. Ever.

OK, in the last several hours (unless I am again mistaken) it appears there is more information presented in the 'watched topics' (side bar on left hand side). Because of that, visually, for me, the fixed width does not appear as visually appealing.

I scan lines much faster then I'll scan blocks of text, so the longer the line, the faster I can read it.

believe it or not you are actually "working" more...
for each new line, you have to move your eyes from one far end to the other

on a 1600 res, your head or eyes are bobbing left to right

the smaller the block (width) the easier and QUICKER it is to read

I have problems with large blocks of text because I usually speed-read things, and especially when I'm running on less sleep (Which is most of the time), I'll either jump up or down a line while reading a block.

I've just found a longer line to be easier, and I can take in the near entirety of a post.

That and its become a habit over the last ~12 years or so.

I've been using the fixed-width style for a while now and I love it. At 1920 x 1080 the fluid width style just stretches things out far too much. :)

I've never figured out why people with screen resolutions that big run their browsers that wide? A huge number of sites are fixed width, so there's no advantage there. And liquid sites are never optimized to scale to that site. Just seems like lose-lose to me.

I've never figured out why people with screen resolutions that big run their browsers that wide? A huge number of sites are fixed width, so there's no advantage there. And liquid sites are never optimized to scale to that site. Just seems like lose-lose to me.

What else am I supposed to do with my screen? :P Often times when I'm browsing it's the only thing I'm doing, so there's no need to have any other windows up on screen. Also, having content to one side or the other bugs me. I prefer to have it in the center, right in front of me. Clicking the maximize button is the easiest way to do that.

How else would I do it? :)

Mainly OCD and habit :D.

It's easier for me to read in smaller fonts. Everything seems to be sharper and in good contrast. So, I always put my screen to the highest resolution possible. BTW, I have no problems with my eyesight. :)

Fixed width lets me control the way pages look to the user. Big plus. Will we be able to choose between specific widths? Say a choice of 12 80, 1024 and 800 wide?

What else am I supposed to do with my screen? :p Often times when I'm browsing it's the only thing I'm doing, so there's no need to have any other windows up on screen. Also, having content to one side or the other bugs me. I prefer to have it in the center, right in front of me. Clicking the maximize button is the easiest way to do that.

How else would I do it? :)

One window?? You're clearly not busy enough! ;)

Try managing my desktop...

all-four-displays-png.361

Attachments

• All-four-displays.webp
    All-four-displays.webp
    97.5 KB · Views: 352
Top Bottom