1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed Width

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Mark.B, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Mark.B

Mark.B Well-Known Member

Had to do a new thread for this to draw attention to it, I spotted earlier that the style chooser has been enabled and there's a fixed width style available.

For those of us who are fans of fixed width styles on forums, try it out...XF looks even MORE amazing in fixed width.
    CBI Web likes this.
  2. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

I wish fixed widths would die... no offense. :D
    KURTZ and Ahmed like this.
  3. Synoxis

Synoxis Member

I love fixed widths and used them mostly because it makes long contents easier to read and view.
  4. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

I also don't like fixed width in forums. :D
  5. welshstew

welshstew Active Member

It's usefully in some situations, although I find min- width far more satisfying.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Fixed width is extremely important to me so I'm very grateful to the guys for implementing something I personally requested.
  7. PixelFX

PixelFX Member

I'm a big fan of fixed width forums, specially when on wide screen monitor, the site stretches nicely forever ;)
    Mikey likes this.
  8. Mark.B

Mark.B Well-Known Member

There's validity in both views...my site is fixed width but has an option in the UserCP to go fluid//full width (it's not a separate style, it's a user option).

Myself, personally, I like the neatness a fixed width style gives, and it looks brilliant on here I have to say. But it's one of those personal preferences, there's no right or wrong.
  9. CBI Web

CBI Web Well-Known Member

I switched to fixed width early today, and you're right it looks awesomer.

Still using 1024x768?
  10. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

No, and that definitely isn't a reason why some people like fluid styles over fixed styles. ;)
  11. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

I personally like fixed width forum styles for when the posts have really big paragraphs of text to read.
  12. CBI Web

CBI Web Well-Known Member

Ah, you like to cover up the pr0n while at work. I see. :p

But fixed width is still widely used and desired, not only because of wide screens but many site designs would suffer badly with fluid.
  13. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Personally, I like blocks of text to be no more than about 500-600 pixels wide. Anything more slows reading and makes the process feel more unnatural. I'll show something in a moment...
  14. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

No I'm on a high-res monitor, 1600-something or maybe even 1900-something, but I keep my browser width to 1280 wide. There's a Chrome extension to auto-resize the window to common resolutions.
  15. Brogan

The reason why fixed width is easier to read is the human eye has limited side to side movement which remains comfortable so trying to read text which spans the whole width of a 24" screen introduces strain which then causes you to move your head to compensate.

What XenForo is currently set to is just about right.
    Although I will increase it ever so slightly as I need 800px width as a minimum.
  16. Kier

This is what I'm talking about:

Attached Files:

kyrgyz, captainslater and Andy.N like this.
  17. Brogan

You do realise that site is now going to be bombarded? :D
  18. Mark.B

Mark.B Well-Known Member

That looks really nice....and I don't normally like sidebars! How do you manage this Kier? :eek:
  19. Kier

{content here}
    Easy :)
    kyrgyz, Mikey and Mark.B like this.
  20. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest