Expensive $100 + BETA -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reedswood

Hi

I must say that I wish the devs well here on this new platform, but PLEASE don't make the same greedy messed-up mistake as vB/IB has done, as I've just seen that you're releasing your BETA release shortly, and the price is as expensive as vBulletin, and it's not even GOLD!

You must make it more affordable to the masses otherwise you too won't attract many clients! It's the price that get's considered first, then it's the product. I have every reason to believe that it will be a super platform in time, but don't go asking the earth until you really do get established!

Personally I think the price is alright, Well. At least the early adopter one is. The only thing I am waiting for is a confirmation about what the re-activation price is, as I'm afraid to get Vendor-Locked :)

But in my opinion this software is worth its early adopter price, However the full price(After the first 24h) is a bit to much as I'm able to purchase IP.Board for 99,99 per/license as I have more than two active licenses.

In my opinion both software are aright and both have their advantages and disadvantages. - It is a matter of choice :)

Indeed. There are decent, usable forums available for $0, so any price argument is pointless. You are not going to sit down in a restaurant and enjoy a steak and a couple of martinis for the price of a taco and a Coke.

But enjoy your taco, if that's how you roll.

My argument is that in XF's case, I ordered a taco but paid for a steak

/me ducks - ahhhhhh!

Hi

I must say that I wish the devs well here on this new platform, but PLEASE don't make the same greedy messed-up mistake as vB/IB has done, as I've just seen that you're releasing your BETA release shortly, and the price is as expensive as vBulletin, and it's not even GOLD!

You must make it more affordable to the masses otherwise you too won't attract many clients! It's the price that get's considered first, then it's the product. I have every reason to believe that it will be a super platform in time, but don't go asking the earth until you really do get established!

Sorry but I think you need glasses or live in a dreamworld, where in the world can you get vBulletin for $100???????????????????

Price is IMHO very generous at only @ £50 GBP  , I would have expected it to be quite a bit higher to be honest.

My argument is that in XF's case, I ordered a taco but paid for a steak
If you think IPB rules, then you're right.

I was speaking more to the unwashed rabble who will have to sell blood plasma or turn tricks to get their hands on $100. If $100 or $140 is a major purchase for someone, they might want to consider more profitable uses their time. You know, rather than dicking around with a forum.

You could stand in a busy intersection with a squeegee and a bucket of dirty water and make $100 washing car windshields in half a day. So I don't get it.

But what do I know. 

Lol $100 expensive? In euro/pound it's even considerably less. How can you complain about such a fair price considering the quality you'll get, unless you are flat broke or something.

So far you haven't paid a dime and no one is forcing you to buy a license.

No, I haven't...I will buy a license though. That's just because I plan to make skins for it.

If I were a level-headed, unbiased future forum owner, and I sat what is currently XF next to what is currently IPB, IPB wins, that's all I'm saying...if the price of XF more accurately reflected its offerings, then that might not be the case...but you've just got to spend a liiiittle bit more money on IPB to get a looottt more features. Some people don't want those features. Some just want a plain forum, and in their case, XF is the better solution. I imagine the majority of forum owners prefer more features though. And no, the population here is not representative of the true forum owner population.

The XF guys might have the long-term in mind. And long-term, I do think it's in their best interest to go ahead and price the software at a point that is similar to their alternatives. This going under the assumption that they plan to add lots of more functionality to XF in the future...If they do not do this but maintain the current price, then they'll miss out on a lot of market share.

Coming from someone who has developed for both vB and IPB I will say that the forum only product offered here beats the other two. If you want to start comparing IPB to XF I'd be happy to give my two cents as I know the backend of both very well. Also, if you add up the cost of all the extra's you need to make IPB roar it's going to cost you a ton. Now, having said all that I think IPB (with all of it's companion products) is still the best of the three however for a wide variety of reasons I prefer to develop for XF only and not venture back into those other two markets at all. I suspect there are going to be a lot of developers who feel as I do.

WHAT ? IMO the price is even too cheap for what you are getting, they could have easely increased by 200% and it would still sell.
Anything less than a hundred dollars would not be fair for the amount of time they have spent on it, in fact it is even too little as is, even without the discount.

I must say that I wish the devs well here on this new platform, but PLEASE don't make the same greedy messed-up mistake as vB/IB has done...
They're not at all. IB sold us vBulletin 4 without us even able to SEE what VB4 looked like, let alone test it ourselves.
...the price is as expensive as vBulletin, and it's not even GOLD!
vBulletin is $195 for the forum only package. Xenforo during this sale is $100 and, after the sale, $140 for an owned license. XF is currently one of the cheapest comercial forum software solutions out there. Additionally, you can have XF the moment you purchase it, unlike what IB did to us.

You must make it more affordable to the masses otherwise you too won't attract many clients! It's the price that get's considered first, then it's the product.
Not really. As stated, XF is one of the cheapest around.

I have every reason to believe that it will be a super platform in time, but don't go asking the earth until you really do get established!
To me, XF already is a super platform. The current alpha has less bugs than VB4, which has been out for nearly a year. They're also not asking such a large sum. In retrospect, $100-$140 is pennies compared to what most commercial companies will charge you.

I understand if you can't really budget for XF. I'm a college student, and I really don't have a lot of money at all. I'm using some "rainy day" money I budgeted away to purchase Xenforo because I believe it will really benefit my website. I also plan on selling my vBulletin license not too long after I have everything situated, which should make up for the money I spent (and I'll get the money I was highway-robbed by IB back). Nevertheless, the point I'm trying to make is the price is perfectly fair, affordable, and simply worth it.

XF is priced at the sweet spot imo.
Saying that... its pretty sickening to watch people jump down a guys throat because he thinks its expensive. And ive only read the first page of this thread.

Not all of us come from first world countries.
For a lot of people buying XF = a weeks wages.
So lets remember that.
I understand putting yourself in the shoes of the developers and their issues, but it shouldnt come at the expense of your fellow consumers.
There is no need to attack the guy, showing him the differences between prices of competitors should be enough.
And maybe giving him examples of quality affordable or free options would be nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom