Fixed Email invalid (bounced)

MattW

I'm working through a bounce issue on a site, and when a user is updating their email address to a new one, the system is still sending a further email to their old (invalid) address, causing an additional bounce. This is then being counted by AWS as an additional bounce.

So, the question I have is, if the user state is Email invalid (bounced), doesn't it seem a bit pointless sending an additional email to their previous address, given that it's already flagged as invalid?

Do you have the email contents? Looking at the code in question, our email change notification shouldn't be sent if the user state isn't/wasn't valid.

Regardless though, the bounce handler looks up the user based on their email at the time of processing. Even if another mail is sent to the old address, because their email is now changed, it shouldn't be associated with the user.

I don't have the mail content, as it's going out via SMTP straight into SES. The bounce report is sent back to my own address from Amazon, and I marked their account an email invalid bounce manually. When they changed their address, a confirmation was sent to their old invalid address. I can get the ses report over to you if that helps?

Would you mind testing this with your own account to confirm? I believe you should be able to manually set your account to the bounce state (even though it's a valid address) and then change the email. In these cases, only one email is sent (the account reconfirmation email) in my tests.

Just tried it now Mike

Got the below mail to the old email address, and didn't get a re-confirmation email to the new one. Site is running XF 1.5.14
MattWServices,

Your email at SITE was recently changed to NEWEMAILADDRESS. If you made this change, you may ignore this message.

If you did not request this change, please log in and change your password and email address. If you are unable to do this, please contact an administrator.

Your email was changed by the IP MYIPADDRESS.

Thanks.
SITE

So after seeing that, I enabled Email Confirmation, and now the email back to the old address has stopped.

I still think this is sort of a bug though with the logic, as once the old address has been marked as invalid, all mails to it should stop, especially one telling the user that the email address has been changed.

Sorry - slightly off topic, but I've never actually noticed this "Your email was changed" email message before?

Is this sent out when an administrator changes the email address (admin UI), or just when it is changed via the public UI ?

Top Bottom