ElasticSearch Essentials

ElasticSearch Essentials [Paid] 2.4.13

No permission to buy ($30.00)

Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood submitted a new resource:

ElasticSearch Essentials - Additional functionality for forums running XenForo Enhanced Search (ElasticSearch).

This add-on REQUIRES XenForo Enhanced Search and ElasticSearch to be installed. Without it, this will not do anything.

Search Bar Auto Complete

When your users type in the search bar on your forum they will see suggestions based on what they have typed so far. The terms come from phrases used in your index rather than just common words. This means that it should work well for niche boards, any language, etc... This can really help reduce missed searches....

Read more about this resource...

Thanks to @MattW for helping set up ElasticSearch on my server along with beta testing. Thanks to @Kevin and @empire for testing and giving valuable feedback.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason that it wouldn't. That said, I'm not sure if it's been tested. If you end up purchasing it and it doesn't work with it, I will be happy to fix the template modification.

Does this work with UI.X from Audentio?
With the current version the template changes are pretty light. The two templates it modifies is "search_results" and "search_bar" so if UI.X modifies either of those the somebody would just need to let Daniel know what the changes are (maybe @Mike Creuzer can give insight into whether those templates are modified in UI.X).

Both of the template edits are really small though so I can't envision there being any issues.

With the current version the template changes are pretty light. The two templates it modifies is "search_results" and "search_bar" so if UI.X modifies either of those the somebody would just need to let Daniel know what the changes are (maybe @Mike Creuzer can give insight into whether those templates are modified in UI.X).

Both of the template edits are really small though so I can't envision there being any issues.
Thanks for being so specific about which template, was able to check and no we do not edit that template at all. And if we did we pay attention to changing areas that are likely to be used by modifications. So yes should work fine.

Next question, what does the likelihood field actually do? Why would admins configure it?
It basically means that even if a word is real, they still may have made a mistake. For example the 0.95 represents a 5% chance that by typing something like "flour" you really meant "floor".

I made it an option to let people easily adjust it to see the kind of results they get.

---

To everyone using the add-on, I really wouldn't mind getting some feedback on how it works or just general opinions of the add on :)

To everyone using the add-on, I really wouldn't mind getting some feedback on how it works or just general opinions of the add on :)
So far responses have been positive for the 'search as you type' functionality.

DaYln6T.gif

Not too much feedback on the alternate suggestions in the search results yet though I did post a thread about it.

To everyone using the add-on, I really wouldn't mind getting some feedback on how it works or just general opinions of the add on
One thing that it could be annoying - Search Bar Auto Complete default first suggestion is selected when you write letters in search.
I used to type word for searcing and press automatically enter, my members too, and because first suggestion is selected by default, enter dooes not submit search query but select suggested word.

It will be far better if Search Bar Auto Complete suggestions are not selected by default, so user have to click on it or press up/down on keyboard.

Also, if I changed some of options in admin.php?options/list/xm_elasticess, do I have to rebuild index again or not?

Also, if I changed some of options in admin.php?options/list/xm_elasticess, do I have to rebuild index again or not?
No.

One thing that it could be annoying - Search Bar Auto Complete default first suggestion is selected when you write letters in search.
I used to type word for searcing and press automatically enter, my members too, and because first suggestion is selected by default, enter dooes not submit search query but select suggested word.

It will be far better if Search Bar Auto Complete suggestions are not selected by default, so user have to click on it or press up/down on keyboard.
Good suggestion. I'll have to see how feasible it is though since I'm using the same Javascript as XenForos other autocomplete features (users, tags, etc)

It basically means that even if a word is real, they still may have made a mistake. For example the 0.95 represents a 5% chance that by typing something like "flour" you really meant "floor".

I made it an option to let people easily adjust it to see the kind of results they get.
Never get to show up on my site (option is set to default one - 0.95 )

Basically the search engine has to recognize a word as potentially being another word. Then the word has to be more popular in your index than the one searched to be considered a suggestion.

For example, if we talk about flour a lot on my forum and never ever once said the word floor, searching floor will suggest flour. However searching flour will assume it's correct. The thing with the suggestions is it uses your indexed documents to determine suggestions. This helps keep the results relevant.

If I recall though, your forum is in another language. In theory, it should work fine but I only tested in English and I've only seen it in action in English so it's difficult to be certain that it'll work in other languages.

If I recall though, your forum is in another language. In theory, it should work fine but I only tested in English and I've only seen it in action in English so it's difficult to be certain that it'll work in other languages.

If it works like you described, it should work in foreign languages too.

Top Bottom