Implemented  Drop the "star" image for threads with new posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

I feel the difference between bold thread titles and non-bold thread titles is enough to distinguish between threads that have new/unread posts in them. I would stop using the "star" image (
list-item-new.png
) for this purpose, and consider using it for a new purpose-- to designate "hot" threads (threads with lots of recent activity), like vB3 did with the normally blue thread icon to an orangish color. (
hot-thread-png.239
)

Attachments

• hot-thread.webp
    hot-thread.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Honestly, I don't see how we're egging Kier on to make this a clone of vBulletin. We have clearly stated further back in this thread (or it may have been another one) that we certainly don't want 20 different icon combinations with an ugly legend at the bottom.

All we want is: 1) An icon that signifies a thread has new posts (currently we have the dot, but its placement isn't liked by all), and 2) an icon that signifies we have posted in a thread. That's it. None of the "hot thread" nonsense.
These are relatively simple, and as you can see by the history of this thread, we're trying to find something that fits XenForo's simple and elegant style.

One of the mocks earlier had a big block with a key for all the old vB thread markers. Drives me crackers as it is. My plea was mainly based around that.

Personally I can't see why we need anything to tell us a post is unread other than bold titles, plus for members as there is no getdaily equivalent they are all new anyway. For guests bold/unbold is surely enough.

Again just a personal view.

One of the mocks earlier had a big block with a key for all the old vB thread markers. Drives me crackers as it is. My plea was mainly based around that.
His later post said:
I totally agree. I don't want any legends. I don't even use them on my site.

I put the icons there so that you can see how one can replace the 1 icon status. (via a sprite)
I never said anything about having all of them displayed.
The legend was there just as a visual for us. Not as a mockup of what should be included in XF. (http://xenforo.com/community/thread...8/page-18#post-15426)

Personally I can't see why we need anything to tell us a post is unread other than bold titles
Floris' predicament was a clear example of why an indicator would be helpful. More importantly, however, we must think: accessibility.
plus for members as there is no getdaily equivalent they are all new anyway.
Not when viewing the list of threads inside a forum.

Fair points. Just making my own view known. Less is more.

I accept the point about screenreaders though, it's important that this area is catered for, some sites have a legal responsibility to do so.

I'm not completely au-fait with screenreaders, but I would have thought that the title attribute of the link, which (already) reads Go to first unread message would be a better indication for a screenreader than some abstract image.

As far as icons go, we now have code to display an icon against threads in which you have posted, I'm just weighing up styling options for how to present that data.

I'm not completely au-fait with screenreaders, but I would have thought that the title attribute of the link, which (already) reads Go to first unread message would be a better indication for a screenreader than some abstract image.
Yes, I've been asking a similar sort of question myself.

I might see if I can test it with a screen reader with a bold title to see how it works...

I mean if the status of the thread is already being pulled i guess we should leave the icon up to the member to implement it but im not too sure, delicate topic here.

What's that?

Something similar to the Windows Live Messenger Icon; it is well known to represent 'user', and is likely to be linked to your own posts when you first see it.

To be fair, a lot of people don't want those icons but they are apparently required for screen readers.

I say apparently as I raised the point earlier as to whether invisible background images with alt-text could be utilised.

Personally speaking I would be happy with bold titles for unread.

I don't need an icon telling me which threads I've posted in.

I already know which ones I've posted in and if I don't, it makes not a jot of difference.

The icon isn't just for the blind (Regarding screen readers), but also for the visually impaired, like Floris, who has stated he would need a visual marker.

Fair points. Just making my own view known. Less is more.

I accept the point about screenreaders though, it's important that this area is catered for, some sites have a legal responsibility to do so.

Anything related to business requires it in the United States now, though it really isn't enforced (There have been lawsuits however, like the one against target).

Yes, I've been asking a similar sort of question myself.

I might see if I can test it with a screen reader with a bold title to see how it works...

As far as icons go, we now have code to display an icon against threads in which you have posted, I'm just weighing up styling options for how to present that data.

The icon is actually for the visually impaired, as only the alt text is read by screen readers; I am not sure it reads the title text instead of the actual link text when a title is provided, I would have to ask my moms boyfriend.

I can say, due to having problems seeing yesterday (My eyes been swollen and vision being completely blurred for most of the day from lack of sleep for several weeks), I see a dire need for an icon to represent. Text really isn't great for differentiating for someone having vision issues.

I mean if the status of the thread is already being pulled i guess we should leave the icon up to the member to implement it but im not too sure, delicate topic here.

How many people are going to introduce icons when they don't have to?

Also, many companies tend to use utilize forums as a mean of support. The United States requires that all business sites be in compliance to a set of accessibility standards for the disabled. Failing to do so can result in a lawsuit (Especially if its support for a product already paid for).

It also leads to user frustration for those that do have difficulty with seeing.

I thought the 'dot' on the corner of the avatar would be good to show threads posted in rather than 'new posts' like it was originally intended.

I thought the 'dot' on the corner of the avatar would be good to show threads posted in rather than 'new posts' like it was originally intended.

Then we're back to having to figure something out for signifying new posts.

Moved the thread to Implemented Suggestions since the OP has been implemented.
If someone can tell me where the subject changed to signifying New Posts, I'll split the thread.

Moved the thread to Implemented Suggestions since the OP has been implemented.
If someone can tell me where the subject changed to signifying New Posts, I'll split the thread.

It's all mixed within, so I don't think it's going to be so easy, unfortunately. :p
I( thought the 'chat bubble' icon to the right was already settled on?

Nah, this is Kier's latest comment on the matter:

I think it is necessary to remove the bold text from the authors of new messages. And it looks like a notebook, ink-stained. What you thing?

Attachments

• qqq.webp
    qqq.webp
    20.5 KB · Views: 19

Great.
IMHO something like a small pen or a small paper (or even a check sign) on the right end will do the job.

There was a 20 pages recommendation, which finally shed the star for us. But I don't really like the way the current thread list implementation works, because:
1) Now I can't really easily go to the beginning of the thread, it's always the first unread.
2) We still don't know whether or not we've commented on the said thread.

Here's what I propose which may help resolve the two above mentioned issues:
1) There are two approaches to address this issue, first option: We make thread title always link to first unread like now, but add a "1" in the list of pages that appears, which will take us to the first page:
1.webp
Second option: We make thread title always link to first page first post like most forum softwares now days, but add a ">" to the list of pages that appears, which will take us to the first unread:
2.webp

Either way works, we can also play with the placement of the ">" button if desired.

2) Why not overlay a smaller version of our own avatar on threads that we've replied in like so?
thread-replied-in.webp

Just a thought on how we can address these issues that are still kind of bothering me...

The posted in thread indictator has been resolved apparently.
Kier is just yet to implement it.

To go to the first post in a thread you click the grey date/time text below the thread; e.g. 5 minutes ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom