1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Drop the "star" image for threads with new posts

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Enigma, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

I feel the difference between bold thread titles and non-bold thread titles is enough to distinguish between threads that have new/unread posts in them. I would stop using the "star" image ([​IMG]) for this purpose, and consider using it for a new purpose-- to designate "hot" threads (threads with lots of recent activity), like vB3 did with the normally blue thread icon to an orangish color. ([​IMG])

Attached Files:

kmike likes this.
  2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Agreed. Bolded Titles VS Non Bold Titles is enough to tell me what's new :)

I don't think those hot threads/cold threads are really needed IMHO as a search engine could possible making a thread automatically hot ie visiting more than 150 times if that's one of the requirement.

3. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

I don't disagree too much on that. In that case, just remove the star image.

4. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

You "don't disagree", does that mean you agree lol Double Negatives :(

5. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Agreed. Bold (as stated before in another thread) would suffice.

6. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

On the "agreeness" continuum, "don't disagree" is less forceful than "agree". ;)

7. Chris M

Chris M Active Member

Personally, I kinda like the star image - It draws your attention to the thread more than a bold/normal title.

Disjunto likes this.
  8. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

What about using the "star" for threads that you've posted in instead of using it for the threads with new post? ;)

9. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Yes it does, but to me a star like that signifies "feature content" -- something that has been featured/awarded a prize, etc -- not simply threads with unread posts.

10. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

If we were to do that, I think I would choose an image other than a star. To me a star is not a good analogy for "I posted here" or "new posts here".

11. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

That's what i suggested :p

12. Chris M

Chris M Active Member

But what image does convey the message of "new posts"?

The star may seem like a feature/award to you but you'd soon learn the difference.

13. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

That's the point Chris, this doesn't need an image. Just the bolded titles is enough to convey the point.

14. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

I don't want an image to signify new posts, I think the bolded title is plenty. ;) But if I had to choose an image, a closed envelope would be the most commonly understood metaphor.

15. Princeton

Princeton Well-Known Member

I agree - it doesn't add anything - it's just eye candy
    I'm hoping xenforo will choose not to adopt on FINAL

16. calorie

calorie Active Member

Yes, star for posted in threads, and move the star to where the sticky pin and closed thread lock appear so you get rid of the ...

--------------------------------------- [​IMG]
    ------------------------- [​IMG]
    ---------------------------- [​IMG]
    --------------------------------- [​IMG]
    --------------- [​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------ [​IMG]

... look. :D

17. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

I like the stars. They are different. I do not want XF to look like vB if possible:) But bold would work too:)

Floren likes this.
  18. Chris M

Chris M Active Member

The "bold" look has been done - It's time for something new.

19. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

PLEASE!!!! :)

20. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Don't avoid something just because the competition uses it. Choose what is "best" regardless of what anyone else is doing. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.