Implemented  Drop the "star" image for threads with new posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

I feel the difference between bold thread titles and non-bold thread titles is enough to distinguish between threads that have new/unread posts in them. I would stop using the "star" image (
list-item-new.png
) for this purpose, and consider using it for a new purpose-- to designate "hot" threads (threads with lots of recent activity), like vB3 did with the normally blue thread icon to an orangish color. (
hot-thread-png.239
)

Attachments

• hot-thread.webp
    hot-thread.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Agreed. Bolded Titles VS Non Bold Titles is enough to tell me what's new :)

I don't think those hot threads/cold threads are really needed IMHO as a search engine could possible making a thread automatically hot ie visiting more than 150 times if that's one of the requirement.

Agreed. Bolded Titles VS Non Bold Titles is enough to tell me what's new :)

I don't think those hot threads/cold threads are really needed IMHO as a search engine could possible making a thread automatically hot ie visiting more than 150 times if that's one of the requirement.

Agreed. Bold (as stated before in another thread) would suffice.

What about using the "star" for threads that you've posted in instead of using it for the threads with new post? ;)

Personally, I kinda like the star image - It draws your attention to the thread more than a bold/normal title.

Yes it does, but to me a star like that signifies "feature content" -- something that has been featured/awarded a prize, etc -- not simply threads with unread posts.

What about using the "star" for threads that you've posted in instead of using it for the threads with new post? ;)

If we were to do that, I think I would choose an image other than a star. To me a star is not a good analogy for "I posted here" or "new posts here".

But what image does convey the message of "new posts"?

The star may seem like a feature/award to you but you'd soon learn the difference.

But what image does convey the message of "new posts"?

The star may seem like a feature/award to you but you'd soon learn the difference.

I don't want an image to signify new posts, I think the bolded title is plenty. ;) But if I had to choose an image, a closed envelope would be the most commonly understood metaphor.

I agree - it doesn't add anything - it's just eye candy
I'm hoping xenforo will choose not to adopt on FINAL

Yes, star for posted in threads, and move the star to where the sticky pin and closed thread lock appear so you get rid of the ...

---------------------------------------
list-item-new.png

-------------------------
list-item-new.png

----------------------------
list-item-new.png

---------------------------------
list-item-new.png

---------------
list-item-new.png

------------------------------------------------
list-item-new.png

... look. :D

I like the stars. They are different. I do not want XF to look like vB if possible:) But bold would work too:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom