Implemented  Drop the "star" image for threads with new posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

I feel the difference between bold thread titles and non-bold thread titles is enough to distinguish between threads that have new/unread posts in them. I would stop using the "star" image (
list-item-new.png
) for this purpose, and consider using it for a new purpose-- to designate "hot" threads (threads with lots of recent activity), like vB3 did with the normally blue thread icon to an orangish color. (
hot-thread-png.239
)

Attachments

• hot-thread.webp
    hot-thread.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
As Brogan says, we do have a page 1 link - it's a standard throughout XenForo that the date is the permalink and will take you to the first post on the first page.

I'm going to merge this with the other thread... I don't think my sanity could stand another thread about this.

Hm... interesting. Can we maybe make the date / title linking thing some sort of admin configurable option, so they don't need to go into template each time? I am almost certain I'm not the only one who doesn't like titles linking to the first unread post...

Hm... interesting. Can we maybe make the date / title linking thing some sort of admin configurable option, so they don't need to go into template each time? I am almost certain I'm not the only one who doesn't like titles linking to the first unread post...

Even better, make it user configurable.

I am almost certain I'm not the only one who doesn't like titles linking to the first unread post...

Yup, I still after spending a week here need to get used to the fact that clicking on a threadtitle brings me to the first unread. Somehow I miss the little down arrow from vBulletin. It has it's benefits you know:

Why don't we just follow the vBulletin way? It has it's benefits:

1: Putting this arow-icon in front of the threadtitle makes it easier for people who have visual problems to recognise new thread/threads with unread postings,
2: It subsequentally solves the 'issue' that on XenForo we will have -apparently- has an icon to indicatie that a thread is new/has new posts and at the same time we have the threadtitle as BOLD, which is a double indication for the same purpose. vBulletin also gives this double-indication, but at least the arrow-icon has a function attached to it.

new thread-posts icon.webp

There was a 20 pages recommendation, which finally shed the star for us. But I don't really like the way the current thread list implementation works, because:
1) Now I can't really easily go to the beginning of the thread, it's always the first unread.

It was the same way, even when the star was present. Clicking the date has always been the way to go to the first post in the thread.

I like the idea, don't get me wrong, but I really don't like adding more and more icons to the design.

I like the idea, don't get me wrong, but I really don't like adding more and more icons to the design.

Floris, it is not adding more icons to the design, it is about changing the functionality of the current dot to an arrow, indicating a new thread/goto first new post. It is changing existing behaviour and at the same time make the dot (becomes an arrow) much more functional. The only thing the dot does now is indicating a new thread/posts... the BOLD title already does this. So, for visually impaired members, the arrow also takes care of that.

why would you require an arrow instead of a dot? is the arrow pointing at anything? or is it just a bit more familiar?

So, for visually impaired members, the arrow also takes care of that.

But right now, the dot takes care of that. Changing it to an arrow isn't going to change any functionality, if I'm understanding you correctly. It's just a matter of preference. You can change the dot to an arrow using a simple template edit (I assume) when you get your hands on XenForo. :D

why would you require an arrow instead of a dot? is the arrow pointing at anything? or is it just a bit more familiar?

Yes, the arrow is 'pointing' you to the fact that there are NEW posts in the thread and it brings you to first unread when you click it. The dot does nothing in XenForo, apart from indicating there are NEW posts, but the BOLD threadtitle already does that for you. A bit redundant, but implemented for people with bad eye-sight who can not see the difference between a BOLD title and a normal one. Changing the dot into an arrow and actually put a function behind it, combines 2 functions into 1: go to first unread AND it help people with bad eyesight. Amen.

Yes, the arrow is 'pointing' you to the fact that there are NEW posts in the thread and it brings you to first unread when you click it. The dot does nothing in XenForo, apart from indicating there are NEW posts, but the BOLD threadtitle already does that for you. A bit redundant, but implemented for people with bad eye-sight who can not see the difference between a BOLD title and a normal one. Changing the dot into an arrow and actually put a function behind it, combines 2 functions into 1: go to first unread AND it help people with bad eyesight. Amen.

So, therefore, when you get your own version of the software - change it to an arrow.

I'm sure adding the link will be easy enough to do too.

I think it's fine how it is now, you just have to get used to the new functionality. Click the thread title to go to the newest unread post (the most common action when visiting a thread AFAIK), and click the date permalink to go to the first page of the thread.

I still think it would be a good idea to let users choose what clicking on the thread title does. I like to make my forums as customisable as possible for end users, then they can set it up how they like and will hopefully use the forum more.

Floris, it is not adding more icons to the design, it is about changing the functionality of the current dot to an arrow, indicating a new thread/goto first new post. It is changing existing behaviour and at the same time make the dot (becomes an arrow) much more functional. The only thing the dot does now is indicating a new thread/posts... the BOLD title already does this. So, for visually impaired members, the arrow also takes care of that.

I think with so many replies and examples and what not, the current situation is just what it is.

You can't please everybody, you want an arrow, I do not, if they change it to please you, I will complain about it with my opinion.

Once we both have our license we can just edit the template and put the image in every position we want, and change the icon to whatever we want.

I think we're making too much of a big deal about this, and it's been exhausted. The devs have implemented it and I recommend them to simply focus on other higher priority items to get the product and company site finished, rather then re-vamp it yet again to try and please another percentage of the potential customer base.

With the ability to customize the template, I find it a non issue that is getting too much attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom