Implemented  Drop the "star" image for threads with new posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

I feel the difference between bold thread titles and non-bold thread titles is enough to distinguish between threads that have new/unread posts in them. I would stop using the "star" image (
list-item-new.png
) for this purpose, and consider using it for a new purpose-- to designate "hot" threads (threads with lots of recent activity), like vB3 did with the normally blue thread icon to an orangish color. (
hot-thread-png.239
)

Attachments

• hot-thread.webp
    hot-thread.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It was just one more thing for people to complain about. Let's deal with peoples' issues with what we already have and then bring the posted-in indicator back later.

General suggestion: go with your vision/gut instinct. Take peoples input, weigh it, and decide what is best. There is absolutely no way to please everyone, pick what you like, let people know why you decided things, then move on.

Every single forum admin faces the same issues, no matter how a forum is setup, there are those that complain & suggest. There is no way to please more than a certain %.

There we go, i think that's the reason why Grover is requesting many things from vBulletin and in general humans choose things that are familiar to them :)

Actually, I am about to leave vBulletin. Because of the questionable state of it and it's future and choose XenForo instead. There are actually some things in vBulletin's UI that are good and I just provide them as an example. 95% of XenForo's UI I am really happy, even thrilled about. It is just that I feel very strong on issues when it comes to the UI of a product and I think that XenForo has nailed almost everything perfect. Just on those 5% I try to make my points as clear as possible. If that comes across as being 'making a big deal out of it'... (which sounds a bit negative to me, but surely not intended that way) then that is the impression of people, which they are entitled too. Pity a bit people take it like that, because it is only meant as constructive suggestions to improve this already outstanding product. Also, the UI of a product and details like this I don't see as a non-issue: I happen to feel very different about that. The UI (and thus all it's details) is essential, even vital for a product to be(come) successful. At least IMHO... I guess the developers of MySpace for example must think very different about that... ;)
. I am so pleased to see the development team behind XenForo understand this and are delivering a near-perfect UI already in this first alpha state!

Keep up the great work,

Their vision and gut has shown us xenforo, and we are blown away. Letting them decide based on the feedback received, now and in the future, will lead to a product that's pleasing to the majority.

:D :D

It was just one more thing for people to complain about. Let's deal with peoples' issues with what we already have and then bring the posted-in indicator back later.

The drawback of a clutter free layout is that certain things must be purposefully sacrificed. You have to be ruthless and realistic about what does and doesn’t deserve attention. 

General suggestion: go with your vision/gut instinct. Take peoples input, weigh it, and decide what is best. There is absolutely no way to please everyone, pick what you like, let people know why you decided things, then move on.

Every single forum admin faces the same issues, no matter how a forum is setup, there are those that complain & suggest. There is no way to please more than a certain %.

Once we both have our license we can just edit the template and put the image in every position we want, and change the icon to whatever we want.

With the ability to customize the template, I find it a non issue that is getting too much attention.

Kier, you don't have to change anything if you think the implementation was good in your eyes and the majority of the members here. I just try to offer my vision and it might not even be what most think would be the best. So by all means... it is not a big deal (although discussing it endlessly can come across that way, I get Floris's point) and like people are saying: we can always change the templates to our personal likings/vision. It is impossible to please everyone... and I am glad I am not standing in your guys shoes! :D

Keep it up!

Yes, the arrow is 'pointing' you to the fact that there are NEW posts in the thread and it brings you to first unread when you click it. The dot does nothing in XenForo, apart from indicating there are NEW posts, but the BOLD threadtitle already does that for you. A bit redundant, but implemented for people with bad eye-sight who can not see the difference between a BOLD title and a normal one. Changing the dot into an arrow and actually put a function behind it, combines 2 functions into 1: go to first unread AND it help people with bad eyesight. Amen.
Agreed. The arrow is logical if there is a 'Go to the first unread post' link. "Arrow = Go to ..." :D

Anyway, I've got used to it here. And I think my users can get used to it as well. It's not such a big deal. We can't know how end users will feel about it till we use it in our sites and receive their feedback, then we can discuss this thing again, if needed. :)

Anyway, I've got used to it here. And I think my users can get used to it as well. It's not such a big deal. We can't know how end users will feel about it till we use it in our sites and receive their feedback, then we can discuss this thing again, if needed. :)

Let's toast on that! :)

I didn't even notice the 'mini-me', and even after noticing it I passed it over afterwards.

You should probably just go with what you think is best at this point, because no matter what is done, eventually everyone will get use to it.

This is a personal taste, I know. But I just wanted to let you know that I liked a lot better the little yellow star, instead of the current dot that marks new threads. First thing I will do is to replace the dot with the star. I think the location is better now. However, because the dot is the same color as the link, it does not have the same effect the yellow star had for my eyes. It is technically invisible for my eyes, it does not pop in any way.

Personally, I would like to use a yellow star for new threads in the current dot location and right under, a green star for threads that I have made posts into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom