Implemented  Drop the "star" image for threads with new posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

I feel the difference between bold thread titles and non-bold thread titles is enough to distinguish between threads that have new/unread posts in them. I would stop using the "star" image (
list-item-new.png
) for this purpose, and consider using it for a new purpose-- to designate "hot" threads (threads with lots of recent activity), like vB3 did with the normally blue thread icon to an orangish color. (
hot-thread-png.239
)

Attachments

• hot-thread.webp
    hot-thread.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I would prefer it floated over the top of the avatar

Meh, sorry .. don't like it. Might work on bigger avatars in posts for the online status or something, but not for the smaller images, it's about the topic, and this takes it away from that element too.

Meh, sorry .. don't like it. Might work on bigger avatars in posts for the online status or something, but not for the smaller images, it's about the topic, and this takes it away from that element too.

Well hopefully it will be changable within the template :)

Well hopefully it will be changable within the template :)

I am sure that is pritty much expected for every element of this system...

EDIT: actually looking the icon ATM is added with CSS there is no actual image there it is just a background image on the link with a 18px padding to the right... It would actually be a lot harder to do that I thought then :( Though still fully possible.

I am sure that is pritty much expected for every element of this system...

EDIT: actually looking the icon ATM is added with CSS there is no actual image there it is just a background image on the link with a 18px padding to the right... It would actually be a lot harder to do that I thought then :( Though still fully possible.

Why? Just edit the CSS to either change the image or hide it.

The bold indication that a post is new really does suffice in my opinion. I know many people have mentioned it numerous times including myself but the text bold on it's own really does work without the additional indicator.

I agree. I mean, look at Gmail: It doesn't use any icons or images to draw attention to unread e-mails. All it uses is bold or not bold to signify an e-mail's read/unread status. Most people do just fine with that, so I don't see why it wouldn't work here too.

I agree. I mean, look at Gmail: It doesn't use any icons or images to draw attention to unread e-mails. All it uses is bold or not bold to signify an e-mail's read/unread status. Most people do just fine with that, so I don't see why it wouldn't work here too.

No, not only bold fonts but also different bg color.

Same thing with Outlook.

The new bubble is much better, only if it was a little orange orange instead of gray (just like the just like the background of the quote or it's head).
For the place, I think it's in the right place, I like it there better than the end right or the end left. It's place is perfect.
Well, if there is someone doesn't like the way it is, it can be a little bigger with the word new in it. It will be more clear it's for threads that have new posts.

The speech bubble does look more professional than the old childish star and I think its a nice imporvement :)

I really don't see the reason for an icon at all, bold for unread posts works great for us. If you do need a graphic on the left under the name, or to the far right instead of at the end of the thread title would be my preference.

Keep in mind that in addition to indicating there are new posts in a thread, people should be able to tell what threads they are posted in, and what threads they are subscribed to, and ideally those would be 3 separate indicators because they exist in all combinations.

8-3-10-10-08-55-am-gif.307

I have do take issue with this one - the implication from this placement is that Enigma (the thread starter) has made a new post, which is incorrect.

Personally, I'd like to drop the 'new' icon completely and revert to what I had originally, where the bold title is the indicator of the discussion containing new messages.

Personally, I'd like to drop the 'new' icon completely and revert to what I had originally, where the bold title is the indicator of the discussion containing new messages.
+1

Why was the icon added originally?

Pressure from the members or a requirement from somewhere/one else?

+1

Why was the icon added originally?

Pressure from the members or a requirement from somewhere/one else?

It was requested when we rolled XenForo out onto a live test site a little over a month ago.

Ever thought of putting a poll up here to see what the general consensus is?

Options could be:

Bold only
Icon only
Bold + Icon

Personally I think the icon itself and the placement of it is out of step with the minimal approach you've taken to the whole design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom