Implemented  Drop the "star" image for threads with new posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

I feel the difference between bold thread titles and non-bold thread titles is enough to distinguish between threads that have new/unread posts in them. I would stop using the "star" image (
list-item-new.png
) for this purpose, and consider using it for a new purpose-- to designate "hot" threads (threads with lots of recent activity), like vB3 did with the normally blue thread icon to an orangish color. (
hot-thread-png.239
)

Attachments

• hot-thread.webp
    hot-thread.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Just looking at the screen I can't see the difference between bold or not, it's that simple. Especially on the laptops.
I have to lean forward and focus on the list.

There was nothing wrong with it ..

The forum name has become very faint, a bit too faint if you ask me.

Oh well.

Just looking at the screen I can't see the difference between bold or not, it's that simple. Especially on the laptops.

Oh well.

Is your monitor calibrated correctly? Serious question.

As long as the bold/not bold threads are the basic User Interface, then exact colors and contrast can be adjusted per skin/site. And the users will be able to go to various XF forums and get consistent usability, which will encourage more members as this software becomes more popular.

OK guys, I think you all know Gmail. Why not use something like Gmail, in addition to the bold for thread titles that have new posts, there can be one more addition which is changing the background, just like Gmail. So if there is new post in a thread, the background will be normal, and when the thread is read, then the background will be a little gray.

OK guys, I think you all know Gmail. Why not use something like Gmail, in addition to the bold for thread titles that have new posts, there can be one more addition which is changing the background, just like Gmail. So if there is new post in a thread, the background will be normal, and when the thread is read, then the background will be a little gray.

we've discussed this earlier, but with the current color schemes, the contrast isn't enough for some people. :(

Oh well.

I think you need a new laptop floris. With myself being short sighted I can tell the difference between bold and standard text that distinguishes both states. I've viewed the thread list on 5 different computers within my household (3 of them being laptops) and 2 desktops calibrated differently and still have no problem distinguishing the two states.

we've discussed this earlier, but with the current color schemes, the contrast isn't enough for some people. :(

Plus, whatever shades you use won't necessarily work well with every skin/style, so it's going to be something that everybody would have to change manually... which can be a hassle, especially for novice users.

Plus, whatever shades you use won't necessarily work well with every skin/style, so it's going to be something that everybody would have to change manually... which can be a hassle, especially for novice users.

Yup. The thing we all should be concerned about is how easy it will be to make it work for our own sites: which it is very easy :)

Don't avoid something just because the competition uses it. Choose what is "best" regardless of what anyone else is doing. ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Some implementations can be avoided to look different but not that the cost because certain other products apply the same techniques. What's best is what matters.

Don't question my laptop quality of lack thereof,

I am sitting here with an old Powerbook, and a new mac book pro, a old 20" dell monitor on mac pro and new 24" iMac.

I do web design, graphic work, photoshop jobs, and have bad eyes, so color calibration and various set ups are a daily experience for me, telling me I need a new laptop: are you kidding me?

That's like me telling you to get over yourself just because you replied to something I don't like hearing.

Sorry guys, I think it's how I experience it is a fact, I am not lying, it is how I experience it. And unlike perhaps quite a few of you here just loading something and without thinking twice 'oh that looks ok lets do it, because i want it too', I actually sit here, test it, think twice about what I test, try to provide arguments so i can think about various situations, for various people doing various things with their setup.

I think those comments are uncalled for. And I take offense.

It's fine with me if people don't want a star, or if they have perfect computers with perfect monitors with perfect calibration that are purchased yesterday, and perfect eyes to see the tiny x% gray on y% white in z% small font, or the bolding of content.

Yes, I can damn well see the difference between bold, bolder and normal, italic, and alike. I do 500 to 1500 lines of css code in a day, which comes with a lot of colors, and I am very pixel perfect about a lot of it.

But you can expect someone to sit back, glance at the screen to see what's new, and then focus on the text that is the content they're interested in. Versus expecting them to always lean forward, always focus on every aspect of the page, re-reading everything twice before making a choice, before even reading the thread title, just because a visual indicator was too difficult to agree on.

So yeah, I have a problem with it: It has nothing to do with my monitor calibration, or my bad eyes, and trust me: The majority of the world has worst computer monitors than I do, and I bet you none of them are calibrated.

You guys can request to have a star dropped and removed, and comment on it.
So can I. You talk out of your experience and share your opinion, so do I.

"I find it much harder to see the difference between normal/bolder and no image, than with a visual indicator like an image"

"Get a new monitor"

You got a point, But I think there can be a setting/option in the admin city to set the color of the background for the read thread.

Anyway, I'm sure there are many other better ideas/solutions. :D

Don't question my laptop quality of lack thereof,

I am sitting here with an old Powerbook, and a new mac book pro, a old 20" dell monitor on mac pro and new 24" iMac.

I do web design, graphic work, photoshop jobs, and have bad eyes, so color calibration and various set ups are a daily experience for me, telling me I need a new laptop: are you kidding me?

That's like me telling you to get over yourself just because you replied to something I don't like hearing.

Sorry guys, I think it's how I experience it is a fact, I am not lying, it is how I experience it. And unlike perhaps quite a few of you here just loading something and without thinking twice 'oh that looks ok lets do it, because i want it too', I actually sit here, test it, think twice about what I test, try to provide arguments so i can think about various situations, for various people doing various things with their setup.

I think those comments are uncalled for. And I take offense.

It's fine with me if people don't want a star, or if they have perfect computers with perfect monitors with perfect calibration that are purchased yesterday, and perfect eyes to see the tiny x% gray on y% white in z% small font, or the bolding of content.

Yes, I can damn well see the difference between bold, bolder and normal, italic, and alike. I do 500 to 1500 lines of css code in a day, which comes with a lot of colors, and I am very pixel perfect about a lot of it.

But you can expect someone to sit back, glance at the screen to see what's new, and then focus on the text that is the content they're interested in. Versus expecting them to always lean forward, always focus on every aspect of the page, re-reading everything twice before making a choice, before even reading the thread title, just because a visual indicator was too difficult to agree on.

So yeah, I have a problem with it: It has nothing to do with my monitor calibration, or my bad eyes, and trust me: The majority of the world has worst computer monitors than I do, and I bet you none of them are calibrated.

You guys can request to have a star dropped and removed, and comment on it.
So can I. You talk out of your experience and share your opinion, so do I.

"I find it much harder to see the difference between normal/bolder and no image, than with a visual indicator like an image"

"Get a new monitor"

I don't think many of the people here take into account that things that are usable for them, aren't quite as usable for people with less experience, or who have a disability.

I don't see why you would take offense Floris. My comments are within my rights and from your previous reply you mention you couldn't tell the difference. I'm replying to the obvious. Purchase a laptop that suits your needs not one that looks cool. Personally, I don't expect you to sit back, I expect you to debate your argument more why you feel an icon should be present and I can follow up by telling you why I don't feel it should be there at all.

When it's all said and done whatever the devs decide, I'll be happy with. I put my argument over for the product to be better, not what only suits me because I would still quite like the look of the icon indicator that kier just implemented.

You know me floris, I'll press my case across. It's what suits the majority not the minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom