Do Not Monetize Your YouTube Account

If you already have a google adsense account for your website, do not monetize your YouTube account because it will become disabled for invalid click activity. If you have to, use another Google Adsense account. I've been reading about this everywhere after it happened to me and it's starting to look like a major problem Google does not care to fix. Even if you write an appeal stating that you had recently monetized your YouTube account, they won't care.
Never had this issue, and youtube ads make up like half of my adsense earnings...

You must have rights to use the content commercially. So, unless you've secured rights to use that soundtrack (or use of it is royalty-free -- which you can prove), no, you can't monetize that video.

Edit: as to your first question, http://goo.gl/L5YBI

So what happens if you want to apply as a partner and have a soundtrack from a movie?

Would you have to delete the movie and/or change the soundtrack in that video?

So what happens if you want to apply as a partner and have a soundtrack from a movie?

Videos are monetized individually, not en masse. You have to toggle it on for each one. And I have yet to run into a YouTube video that doesn't auto-detect copyrighted music (no matter how seemingly obscure, or how muddled in the background) upon upload. Which is why music copyrighted to someone else almost always has a Google Music/iTunes link below the video, and ads. It's an automated process, and that is essentially the compromise these companies have made to allow you to post their content on YouTube. If you have that notification in your control panel, then you have permission to use the video on your account. However, the option to monetize it will be disabled. Doesn't affect the ability to monetize your other videos.

On a somewhat related note (and just because it bugs me), you'll see people put "no copyright infringement is intended" on videos, where they've clearly already been detected and allowed to have the video on their account. Posting that notice does nothing. Not only would it not prevent you from having your video deleted (if it happened to be something that slipped by auto-detection), but infringement is not something you can get out of because you didn't intend it. Infringement is when you use copyrighted content that you didn't get permission to use. YouTube will let you know when you have permission by not deleting your video, and by putting in a notification in your control panel.

I don't get the consensus of "Google will do nothing about it", because they have always been nothing but helpful when I have gone through adsense issues in the past. I have been wrongfully suspended twice, and after going through the correct appealing structures I was unbanned immediately. I have zero experience with YouTube monetization however so it could be completely different, but to paint them as a company who "don't care" is probably the wrong message to portray. There are a lot more successful YouTube and forum monetization stories than stories like this, so take it for what it's worth.

I know a user from my forum who runs a fairly large forum of his own which originated from his successful YouTube account, and both of those entities run adsense.

As Digital Jedi pointed out, you have to explicitly enable monetization for a video.

Videos are monetized individually, not en masse. You have to toggle it on for each one. And I have yet to run into a YouTube video that doesn't auto-detect copyrighted music (no matter how seemingly obscure, or how muddled in the background) upon upload. Which is why music copyrighted to someone else almost always has a Google Music/iTunes link below the video, and ads. It's an automated process, and that is essentially the compromise these companies have made to allow you to post their content on YouTube. If you have that notification in your control panel, then you have permission to use the video on your account. However, the option to monetize it will be disabled. Doesn't affect the ability to monetize your other videos.

On a somewhat related note (and just because it bugs me), you'll see people put "no copyright infringement is intended" on videos, where they've clearly already been detected and allowed to have the video on their account. Posting that notice does nothing. Not only would it not prevent you from having your video deleted (if it happened to be something that slipped by auto-detection), but infringement is not something you can get out of because you didn't intend it. Infringement is when you use copyrighted content that you didn't get permission to use. YouTube will let you know when you have permission by not deleting your video, and by putting in a notification in your control panel.

We don't automatically detect all copyrighted music or footage, but the "fingerprint" catalog is certainly large. Copyright holders opt-in to this service, and not all do, so saying "YouTube will let you know when you have permission..." is factually incorrect. The onus is still on the uploader to ensure they have the rights necessary to upload and monetize a video. The automation is mostly a convenience, as human support is hard to scale (there's roughly 1 staff member for every 1.3 million users).

I don't get the consensus of "Google will do nothing about it", because they have always been nothing but helpful when I have gone through adsense issues in the past. I have been wrongfully suspended twice, and after going through the correct appealing structures I was unbanned immediately. I have zero experience with YouTube monetization however so it could be completely different, but to paint them as a company who "don't care" is probably the wrong message to portray. There are a lot more successful YouTube and forum monetization stories than stories like this, so take it for what it's worth.

I know a user from my forum who runs a fairly large forum of his own which originated from his successful YouTube account, and both of those entities run adsense.
I've gotten unbanned before when I was wrongfully suspended before, but this YouTube stuff is different. They'll jack you up and most likely you'll end up having to create a new account later on etc. They need to fix their system.

As Digital Jedi pointed out, you have to explicitly enable monetization for a video.

We don't automatically detect all copyrighted music or footage, but the "fingerprint" catalog is certainly large. Copyright holders opt-in to this service, and not all do, so saying "YouTube will let you know when you have permission..." is factually incorrect. The onus is still on the uploader to ensure they have the rights necessary to upload and monetize a video. The automation is mostly a convenience, as human support is hard to scale (there's roughly 1 staff member for every 1.3 million users).
Footage, obviously, from what I've seen seems detected less often. And that makes sense, because that seems like that would be harder to keep track of. But I got to say that the music "fingerprint" must be huge, and is mainly what I was referring to. But to clarify, when I say "it will let you know", I mean it will let you know if you can use it, if it's in the database. I guess I should have added that if you upload a song, and you get no kind of copyright notification, then you're obviously don't have permission and are taking your chances keeping it up. I'm mainly meant that the only way to know if it's allowed is to either check and see what others have upload (and if they have the requisite download links appear) or see what the notification message is. That was aside from monetization.

Footage, obviously, from what I've seen seems detected less often. And that makes sense, because that seems like that would be harder to keep track of. But I got to say that the music "fingerprint" must be huge, and is mainly what I was referring to. But to clarify, when I say "it will let you know", I mean it will let you know if you can use it, if it's in the database. I guess I should have added that if you upload a song, and you get no kind of copyright notification, then you're obviously don't have permission and are taking your chances keeping it up. I'm mainly meant that the only way to know if it's allowed is to either check and see what others have upload (and if they have the requisite download links appear) or see what the notification message is. That was aside from monetization.

I see where you're coming from, but it's not that clear cut, unfortunately.

I wouldn't recommend anyone rely on Content ID (the "fingerprint" catalog) copyright notices to determine if you can upload a video or not. It's perfectly possible to upload a video that would be permitted under Account1, but would be blocked by Content ID if uploaded under Account2. Content owners may change their Content ID policies for certain works at any time, as well, and not all such changes are always applied retroactively. So you can't always go by what's already on the site.

It's much better to just ensure you have all the necessary rights to upload a video prior to uploading it (which is possible, but requires some leg work). If your video is blocked (globally) by Content ID, or later flagged as infringing, your account will receive a copyright strike. These strikes may cause certain features to be disabled or degraded for your account, and we automatically suspend accounts indefinitely that receive three such strikes.

I would like to add a very big WARNING: I agreed to monetize my youtube videos BEFORE my adsense account was disable for "Invalid Click" that I have no idea where these Invalid Clicks came from. They could have come from my competitors, a hacker, a DDoSer, or what ever. The point is that its been more than 2 years and I dont have my Adsense account anymore. WORSE: I am UNABLE to disable content monetization for my youtube videos. TILL THIS DATE, YOUTUBE CONTINUES PROFITING ON MY VIDEOS WITHOUT GIVING ME, CONTENT OWNER ANY SINGLE PENNY FOR IT!!! Sorry for the caps, but this is VERY outraging!!! The only reason why I haven't pull out the video off Youtube is because it has high view rate and this video was made to advertise one of my membership based websites which does benefit me. But regardless, I really wish I can disable Content Monetization for my channel, Google has no right to make money off my content if I am no longer allowed to participate in their ****ty adscense program, which in my opinion its a fraud, because as soon as you start many any kind of money that is worth while, bang! they will disable your account AND REFUSE TO EXPLAIN WHY THEY DID IT.

Yeah I understand, Google is too big to care how they treat their own publishers. I wish most of their publishers dump them and turn to CPA (Cost Per Action) content locking instead. After my misfortune with Adscense, I immediately signed up for one of the major content locking CPA site, I got accepted, and now I make over $3,000 every month (and growing) locking my own content at my own website. I wasn't making anything near that amount with Adsense when I got terminated. yes, I appealed and guess what? I got denied and they said that I cannot appeal anymore because they give you one shot at appeal.

So my advice to current adsense publisher. Immediately discontinue using Adsense. You might think that the fiasco is not affecting you right now because your account is not suspended, but you will never know when the day will come that Google will suspend your account and refuse to give you a reason why they did it. I highly recommend that you turn to CPA (Cost PerAction) content locking instead, you will make far more money and will be treated more fairly. I cannot post the Top rated CPA network here, but all what you have to do is google it up and you will find it easily, its the #1 CPA network out there, find it, dump adsense you will be glad you did!

I would like to add a very big WARNING: I agreed to monetize my youtube videos BEFORE my adsense account was disable for "Invalid Click" that I have no idea where these Invalid Clicks came from. They could have come from my competitors, a hacker, a DDoSer, or what ever. The point is that its been more than 2 years and I dont have my Adsense account anymore. WORSE: I am UNABLE to disable content monetization for my youtube videos. TILL THIS DATE, YOUTUBE CONTINUES PROFITING ON MY VIDEOS WITHOUT GIVING ME, CONTENT OWNER ANY SINGLE PENNY FOR IT!!! Sorry for the caps, but this is VERY outraging!!! The only reason why I haven't pull out the video off Youtube is because it has high view rate and this video was made to advertise one of my membership based websites which does benefit me. But regardless, I really wish I can disable Content Monetization for my channel, Google has no right to make money off my content if I am no longer allowed to participate in their ****ty adscense program, which in my opinion its a fraud, because as soon as you start many any kind of money that is worth while, bang! they will disable your account AND REFUSE TO EXPLAIN WHY THEY DID IT.

Yeah I understand, Google is too big to care how they treat their own publishers. I wish most of their publishers dump them and turn to CPA (Cost Per Action) content locking instead. After my misfortune with Adscense, I immediately signed up for one of the major content locking CPA site, I got accepted, and now I make over $3,000 every month (and growing) locking my own content at my own website. I wasn't making anything near that amount with Adsense when I got terminated. yes, I appealed and guess what? I got denied and they said that I cannot appeal anymore because they give you one shot at appeal.

So my advice to current adsense publisher. Immediately discontinue using Adsense. You might think that the fiasco is not affecting you right now because your account is not suspended, but you will never know when the day will come that Google will suspend your account and refuse to give you a reason why they did it. I highly recommend that you turn to CPA (Cost PerAction) content locking instead, you will make far more money and will be treated more fairly. I cannot post the Top rated CPA network here, but all what you have to do is google it up and you will find it easily, its the #1 CPA network out there, find it, dump adsense you will be glad you did!
wtf is cost per action. and yes I've noticed that google locks up your ability from deactivating ads from videos etc. The one shot appeal sucks beyond belief. Shows how much google don't give a **** about you or anyone else. It's obvious that they aren't even reviewing most cases.

BTW how do video gaming websites, who have youtube channels make money? I assume the video game content is technically copyrighted.

So they would not be able to make money off making video game tutorials they make?

BTW how do video gaming websites, who have youtube channels make money? I assume the video game content is technically copyrighted.

So they would not be able to make money off making video game tutorials they make?

It depends on the game publisher. Some publishers allow video game content to be used for commercial use, and explicitly state this in their license agreements. Then there are those who require a contract and licensing fee to use UI footage -- some of the more successful partners have such arrangements.

That said, videos without commentary that correlates with the actual game play (e.g., step-by-step guide) can't be monetized at all (i.e., those just showing a person play for extended periods).

Another quick question.

If User A posts a video/song they made on youtube.

Can User B include a snippet of it? Or would they not be able to moneytize off that?

Let's say if I was making a parody video, and wanted to use some other famous youtube artists song a 10 sec snippet...?

Another quick question.

If User A posts a video/song they made on youtube.

Can User B include a snippet of it? Or would they not be able to moneytize off that?

Let's say if I was making a parody video, and wanted to use some other famous youtube artists song a 10 sec snippet...?

Possibly.

You can monetize videos protected under fair use; however, we don't determine fair use, which is what a parody would fall under. You'd need to make that determination yourself, or seek legal advice. That said, you wouldn't be able to monetize the video if the snippet you used has a claim already -- i.e., it's flagged as matching content in AudioSwap or Content ID -- the option simply won't be available.

wtf is cost per action. and yes I've noticed that google locks up your ability from deactivating ads from videos etc. The one shot appeal sucks beyond belief. Shows how much google don't give a **** about you or anyone else. It's obvious that they aren't even reviewing most cases.

Hi.

Content locking is the practice of locking any content or section on your website and forcing users to complete a short survey to gain access to your content. For example, you can create a widget using a choice of major CPA network, when a user goes to your website to look for information regarding Content "A", and the user click on your Download button, a widget from the CPA network will appear asking users that they have to complete a survey, download a freeware program or complete a trialpay offer, and after they perform that action then your content unlocks. If users completes a short survey they wont have to pay anything, so its free for the user, you get paid about $1 to $10 depending on the survey, the user is happy that was able to download your content and you are happy that you got paid.

The Top Three CPA (Cost Per Action) Networks are:
CPALead AdscendMedia and AdworkMedia

These networks allows you to lock any specific content or page on your website and forces your users to complete an
Action (that's why its called Cost Per Action or CPA in Short) before the user can get access to your content and you get paid. In my opinion its much better than Adsense and the pay is better. Because there is an incentive to complete an offer, your content, users will be more than willing to complete a survey or offer than, in the case of adsense, mindlessly showing banner ads or text ads and hoping that users clicks at them with no incentive what so ever.

Hi.

Content locking is the practice of locking any content or section on your website and forcing users to complete a short survey to gain access to your content. For example, you can create a widget using a choice of major CPA network, when a user goes to your website to look for information regarding Content "A", and the user click on your Download button, a widget from the CPA network will appear asking users that they have to complete a survey, download a freeware program or complete a trialpay offer, and after they perform that action then your content unlocks. If users completes a short survey they wont have to pay anything, so its free for the user, you get paid about $1 to $10 depending on the survey, the user is happy that was able to download your content and you are happy that you got paid.

The Top Three CPA (Cost Per Action) Networks are:
CPALead AdscendMedia and AdworkMedia

These networks allows you to lock any specific content or page on your website and forces your users to complete an
Action (that's why its called Cost Per Action or CPA in Short) before the user can get access to your content and you get paid. In my opinion its much better than Adsense and the pay is better. Because there is an incentive to complete an offer, your content, users will be more than willing to complete a survey or offer than, in the case of adsense, mindlessly showing banner ads or text ads and hoping that users clicks at them with no incentive what so ever.
That sounds extremely annoying. I hate sites with a bunch of surveys, downloads and all that other stuff. I think something like that is mainly useful if it's for guests only so that they will be tempted to login. Interesting. The only problem I have with this is that I don't want any 'content-locking' that involves downloading stuff cause those kind of networks give people viruses.

I uploaded a video to you tube on August 9, 2010, on the 11th I received an Invite from youtube to monitize it and associate my ad sense account. I had already had an ad-sense account for a year and had got one payment for 100.00 . I went ahead and made the association and it was approved on the 12th. After reading the terms I decided to not monetize that video because it was not 100% mine. I never monetized any videos. But my VB site continued to use adsense and I had stopped payments at the threshold of 100.00. By November I had about 250.00 earned (over a 11 month period) December 12 another local site went offline permanently my traffic picked up enormously and I had been having slow server issues because of vb 4.0's premature installation.
So I decided to upgrade to a better server and sent a request to get my payment from ad-sense. of course they make you wait the 30 days, even though part of that balance had been there for far longer. But payment for the total was delayed till Jan. The new server made my traffic jump to record levels because the site was finally performing well.

JAN 12 2011 I received this bull crap . Its not even an accusation, it says my site poses a risk of generating invalid activity. I would bet my left nut that those "affected advertisers" were never fully refunded.
I appealed and gave a long detailed explanation of why my traffic had jumped but only got a standard form letter reply saying my appeal was denied. I could not even protest the amount because all access to the account was removed.
This message was sent from a notification-only email address that does not
accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.
------------------------------
---------------------------------

Hello,

After reviewing our records, we've determined that your AdSense account
poses a risk of generating invalid activity. Because we have a
responsibility to protect our AdWords advertisers from inflated costs due
to invalid activity, we've found it necessary to disable your AdSense
account. Your outstanding balance and Google's share of the revenue will
both be fully refunded back to the affected advertisers.

Please understand that we need to take such steps to maintain the
effectiveness of Google's advertising system, particularly the
advertiser-publisher relationship. We understand the inconvenience that
this may cause you, and we thank you in advance for your understanding and
cooperation.

If you have any questions or concerns about the actions we've taken, how
you can appeal this decision, or invalid activity in general, you can find
more information by visiting
http://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=57153.

Sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team
In fact I am seeing now how Google is cheating those customers by showing ads to sites I visit after I have already been there and knew what I was looking for. Its not as if I searched for spade and got lots of competitors ads for spades I get copious ads for the exact site I had already visited for several days after.
Fact is I never searched for that product I went directly to the supplier I had done business with many times and looked at it. google played no part whatsoever in making the sell, I was sold when I saw it at the trade show. this is not the only example, I also had the same experience with http://www.superbrightleds.com/ who I had made purchases before and simply returned to the site to look for another product i was in need of. It was their distinctive colored banner that first caused me to notice that after I visited I was saturated with ads to http://www.superbrightleds.com/ NO ONE OTHER LED COMPETITOR WAS SHOWN.

Google has thieves in the fold.
I don't know what it has to do with Youtube, but even when I never monetized any video My banishment came coincidentally on the 12th when i requested payment for the rest of the revenue.

YET as if they were being cruel and rubbing it in I continue to recieve the newsletters and notices about how fekkin wonderful adsense is.
These are the kind of things that cause some less stable guys to "out of the blue" walk in to a corporate office and vent with lead.

Top Bottom