[DBTech] DragonByte Donate

[DBTech] DragonByte Donate [Paid] 3.0.3

No permission to buy ($14.95)
IN response to your request for feedback here are my feature requests:
  1. Gift a donation (attribute the donation perks to another member)
    The need for this features we encounter on a weekly basis.
  2. Donation matches:
    Allow a member to match donations up to a certain amount. For example a member will double up the first $500 in donations received. This is a very powerful way to drive donations up and happens frequently at our site.
    The member selects the donation drive or the donation goal that the money should be attributed to.
    Then there should be an announcement to let members know that their donations will be matched if they donate to this donation drive / donation goal.
    It should be clearly visible how much has been matched and how much to go.
  3. Pay Remaining Funds.
    Display how much is left in the donation drive.
    Add a button to pay all remaining funds in the donation drive. This needs to be a very simple fast way to pay in as few steps as possible.
    If the button is clicked the user selects the payment method and is then forwarded to the payment service.
  4. Cash/Cheque/Bank/Offline donation
    Offer members offline payment methods. Like sending cash/cheques by mail, manually by bank or any other method which requires manual processing. Here is how it could work:
    Let the user select the offline payment method of their choice and the amount.
    Show the user the instructions.
    Let the user enter the date and the specifics of how the payment was sent.
    The admin can mark the payment as received when it comes in.
  5. Alerts: Donation Expiry Reminder
    Give users alerts before their donation term expires. Let the admin define when/how often to send alerts.
    Allow users to turn these alerts off.
  6. User Criteria
    Give trophies for: user has donated X amount in the last Y days to donation goal Z.
  7. Automatically Update Currency Exchange Rates
    There are various services that can be used to update exchange rates. (Yahoo, Google, XE, etc)
  8. Let members donate toward suggestions/feature requests.
    Often members post suggestions on functionality to improve the site. It would be great if members would be able to pay for specific features. This would create a new stream of income for sites. Here is how it could work:
    1. Add a 'donate to this suggestion' block to threads in a specific forum. This is basically a donation drive for that specific feature, without an end date.
    2. Administrators can add such a donation goal to a thread and set the goal amount.
    3. The block displays the goal amount needed and the amount donated so far.
  9. Apply donations across multiple XF installations
    When there is a network of sites, there is often one site that handles all payments/donations. The user pays on one domain but the donation is added to the account on all domains.
I hope this is of interest to you.

I do think this is a very good list. It mirrors what I would love to have.

#9 might be possible with a comment field, so that no extra coding is required. As long as we can see for which site and which suggestion that donation is, I would be fine with this.

#7 Is helpful, but not very high on my personal priority list.

My priority ranking would be from top to buttom ranked:

#4 (bank transfer - maybe via paygate?)
#1 (but if no bank transfer is possible, the #1 would replace the ranking of #4). The reason is, that I only need gift donations for those users, who refuse to use paypal. Once I offer banktransfer via any kind of automated system, I do not need anymore the gift feature.

Last edited:
Can you comment on the beta status you have assigned to this product. I have your vBulletin installed on our former site and that site is closed but kept on-line as we continue to work on migration and configuration issues. I have your branding free license on the vBulletin system

I am getting less support than I expected from the vendor of the donation system we are currently using and am considering changing, but the beta worries me a little.

Can you comment on the beta status you have assigned to this product. I have your vBulletin installed on our former site and that site is closed but kept on-line as we continue to work on migration and configuration issues. I have your branding free license on the vBulletin system

I am getting less support than I expected from the vendor of the donation system we are currently using and am considering changing, but the beta worries me a little.
I don’t know what you want me to say. It’s flagged as Beta because I don’t run this mod on a live site anywhere and as such I cannot test it with real world data.

If no one helps test it because it’s labelled beta, then the non-beta version will have more bugs in it.

Fillip

I think I understand, but my experience with beta software was that it was considered unsuitable for use on a production system. i.e. only to be used on test systems.

I see that 2.50 is a stable release then. So the question is, on a production system should I install 2.50 or 3.00 beta 7? Is there information available on 2.50 and is it available for installation at this time?

I think I understand, but my experience with beta software was that it was considered unsuitable for use on a production system. i.e. only to be used on test systems.
Right, generally speaking that's true. Still means I can't say how stable a beta is, though. Also, given that this is an add-on rather than a full forum software, the risk of running a beta version is significantly less than if you were to try to run a beta of XF itself :)

I see that 2.50 is a stable release then. So the question is, on a production system should I install 2.50 or 3.00 beta 7? Is there information available on 2.50 and is it available for installation at this time?
You can choose any version from the drop-down when downloading the product after purchase :)

Which version to install, I couldn't say, but do be aware that I won't be able to provide bugfixes for the 2.5.x branch, only the latest version.

Fillip

Just out of curiosity, where is the Import option from XFApp's donation manager? Either I'm blind, or it's not in ACP -> Tools. Been meaning to install this for a while, but I've been sitting on XFApp's (merc/robbo's) since I have it tied to my game servers to give donor privileges. I believe I'm running version 1.2.2 of his addon.

Just out of curiosity, where is the Import option from XFApp's donation manager? Either I'm blind, or it's not in ACP -> Tools. Been meaning to install this for a while, but I've been sitting on XFApp's (merc/robbo's) since I have it tied to my game servers to give donor privileges. I believe I'm running version 1.2.2 of his addon.
It's in the Rebuild Caches screen, because I didn't know about the XF1 importer framework when making this mod :D

Fillip

Updated list of feature requests:
  1. Gift a donation (attribute the donation perks to another member)
    The need for this features we encounter on a weekly basis.
  2. Donation matches:
    Allow a member to match donations up to a certain amount. For example a member will double up the first $500 in donations received. This is a very powerful way to drive donations up and happens frequently at our site.
    The member selects the donation drive or the donation goal that the money should be attributed to.
    Then there should be an announcement to let members know that their donations will be matched if they donate to this donation drive / donation goal.
    It should be clearly visible how much has been matched and how much to go.
  3. Pay Remaining Funds.
    Display how much is left in the donation drive.
    Add a button to pay all remaining funds in the donation drive. This needs to be a very simple fast way to pay in as few steps as possible.
    If the button is clicked the user selects the payment method and is then forwarded to the payment service.
  4. Cash/Bank/Offline/Other donation
    Offer use members offline payment methods or payment methods not supprted by XF. Like sending cash/cheques by mail, manually by bank or any other method which requires manual processing. Here is how it could work:
    Let the user select the offline payment method of their choice and the amount.
    Show the user the instructions.
    Let the user enter the date and the specifics of how the payment was sent.
    The admin can mark the payment as received when it comes in.
  5. Alerts: Donation Expiry Reminder
    Give users alerts before their donation term expires. Let the admin define when/how often to send alerts. Allow users to turn these alerts off. This function has been proven very effective for account upgrades. It would work for donations as well.
  6. User Criteria
    Give trophies for: user has donated X amount in the last Y days to donation goal Z.
  7. Automatically Update Currency Exchange Rates
    There are various services that can be used to update exchange rates. (Yahoo, Google, XE, etc)
  8. Recurring payments
    Recurring payments will often make up about 50% of a sites income. Its vital.
  9. Integration with account upgrades
    Option to count account upgrades to a drive/goal.
  10. Donation Drive bbcode
    To easily add a drive (with progress bar) into a post or signature. Similar to how you can share a XFMG album.
  11. Share donation Drive to other sites.
    Allow a card with the current status of the donation goal/drive to be posted on other sites. It would work similar to a twitter card. Example here: https://www.youcaring.com/oscarsajland-1086200
  12. Social Sharing.
    Please add social media sharing tools so that people can share the drive/goal.
  13. Big 'DONATE NOW' button.
  14. 'X amount was Donated by Y people in Z months'.
    Its useful to display the number of people who participated, because it will lead to more participation.
  15. 'Like' a Drive/Goal.
  16. Donation comments.
    People have an urge to leave a comment when they donate. I regularly see this in my paypal/stripe payment comments. You can also see donation comments on gofundme. It would be useful if people could leave an optimal comment with their donations.
  17. Donation Drive discussion.
    It would be useful to have a thread or comments to discuss the goal.
  18. Donation Drive Updates.
    Similar to XFRM updates it would be good to be able to post updates on a goal. Same as GoFundMe.
  19. Watch Donation Drive.
    It should be possible to watch a goal, in the sense that the user would receive weekly updates on how the goal is doing. i.e. 'X amount was raised by Y people in Z months. X new donations have been received this week. There is X days left to raise Y amount. Donate here'
  20. Suggested amounts.
    Allow users to quickly select predefined amounts. Like Facebook Fundraisers does:
    Screenshot-2018-5-12 (1) Support St Jude families this Mother’s Day .webp
Most of the above functions are inspired by popular donation/fundraising sites like GoFundMe, Facebook Fundraisers, YouCaring and others or by popular functions available for xenforo account upgrades.

Last edited:
Upgrade from Xf 1.x version to Xf2 - any suggestions on how to do it without losing previous donation information please?? Thx

Am guessing leave old version there (as in do not delete it before migration), and install new version post migration??

Upgrade from Xf 1.x version to Xf2 - any suggestions on how to do it without losing previous donation information please?? Thx

Am guessing leave old version there (as in do not delete it before migration), and install new version post migration??
Correct, you will be given the option to upgrade once you have uploaded the XF2 version. I believe the upgrade should work fine, but I would back up your DB prior to upgrading just to be safe.

Fillip

Hi,

is there a way in version 3.01 for XF 1.5x to hide the collected amount of money only for a specific donation drive? I get the feedback that many users are afraid to donate because they do not want to show, that they only donated a smal amount of money

And I found a bug:

If someone is donating anonymus, he still shows up in the list of donators with his username. Both on the side bar and in the donation drive overview.

How can I fix this?

Another bug:

If I set in ACP that no donators shall be shown, it still displays the two categoreis most recent and top donators.

top_donators_do_not_display.webp

Top Bottom