Resource icon

Custom Node Icon (icon for Category) 1.0

No permission to download
You can do it with individual images... instead of pointing at the sprite sheet you just point at the image you want to use and remove the background-position statements.
You may be waiting a while for a response from the developer. Was last on 08/2013.

Yes but i have 20+ forums/categories so i have to put your code 20x2 in extra css.......ouch

Yes but i have 20+ forums/categories so i have to put your code 20x2 in extra css.......ouch
And? On one of my forums that I do it I have 164 nodes. Cut & paste is real simple to use and just change the forum numbers and the icon name.

Making a template is very easy... just go into the ACP -> Appearance -> Templates for the style you use and select Create New Template
Give it a name (I call mine custom_node_icons.css) and then include the necessary code.
Then in EXTRA.css I just do a
Code:
<xen:include template="custom_node_icons.css" />

Hardest part is finding the node numbers to use (and that's not that hard).
I ended up placing all of my images in a sprite sheet and then use the necessary code to load them from there. I just set a transparency level on the read ones to .4 so they appear dimmer.

Code:
.node.node_2 .forumNodeInfo .nodeIcon, .node.node_2 .categoryForumNodeInfo .nodeIcon {
    background-image: url("images/nodes/node-sprite.png");
    background-position: 0px -88px;
    background-color: transparent;
    opacity: 0.4;
}
.node.node_2 .forumNodeInfo.unread .nodeIcon, .node.node_2 .categoryForumNodeInfo.unread .nodeIcon {
    background-image: url("images/nodes/node-sprite.png");
    background-position: 0px -88px;
    opacity: 1.0;
    background-color: transparent;
}

why is is so F....c...ng difficult :-(. tried it......for hours....does not work for me...im no programmer

why is is so F....c...ng difficult :-(. tried it......for hours....does not work for me...im no programmer
I'm not a pr0grammer either... be sure you are doing it in the correct base style that you are using. I've had that happen to me before - be working in a style that is not in use.

No. I give up. i will hire a programmer to do it. thanks
I am currently tied up doing yard work (have about 3 acres to mow) but once I'm done I will be happy to take a look at it and see if I can at least get you started on the right path.

I am currently tied up doing yard work (have about 3 acres to mow) but once I'm done I will be happy to take a look at it and see if I can at least get you started on the right path.

3 acres! good luck with it. i will wait till you r done. thanks again

Does anyone has a problem where when there is unread forum the icon will not appear. Once you marked the forum as read the icon will appear.

Odd's are because a lot has changed between 1.1.x series (which is when I believe this was released) and now... not to mention the author is no longer providing support and was last online about a year ago.
I'd suggest you dump this add-on and do it via the EXTRA.css route. A little more "work" but less chance of this happening.

Odd's are because a lot has changed between 1.1.x series (which is when I believe this was released) and now... not to mention the author is no longer providing support and was last online about a year ago.
I'd suggest you dump this add-on and do it via the EXTRA.css route. A little more "work" but less chance of this happening.

Yea I decided to go the extras.css route.. thanks.

Hmm got this when trying to install this today.. Callback Vinavb_CustomNodeIcon_Listener::load_class is invalid (Invalid Class).

XenForo 1.3.5
there's a new addon on the Resources area that does almost the same function..

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/*******-custom-node-style.3445/

Last edited:
Biggest problem I have with that (actually 2) is you have a copyright notice displayed (they start adding up) and the data collection habits of the authors add-ons.
Hmm yea, as a new xenForo users im getting a bit overwhelmed with the need for all these copyrights in my footer, I mean I have paid for a few plugins but guys really do I need to pay to get the copyright also removed?

Hmm yea, as a new xenForo users im getting a bit overwhelmed with the need for all these copyrights in my footer, I mean I have paid for a few plugins but guys really do I need to pay to get the copyright also removed?
That's one of the things I am not to fond of. Depending on which add-ons you use, your footer can get to looking REAL trashy with all the copyright tags in it. I don't mind them for the larger add-ons, but for the really simple ones it's kind of over the top.

That's one of the things I am not to fond of. Depending on which add-ons you use, your footer can get to looking REAL trashy with all the copyright tags in it. I don't mind them for the larger add-ons, but for the really simple ones it's kind of over the top.
Their is probably a better approach, like maybe a page with the addon's listed.. I would hate to have to freaking add css display none to all of them. Trust me I do not mind supporting developers, I'm a developer as well but this is just a bit out of control with this software package.. anyhow.. I bought the icon system and it works except if you create a category and have subforms, u cant add a thumb to the category.. so I had to use css to do just that one.

For me, I just created a new custome_nodes.css template and do them all in there. Once you are familiar with doing it that way it's much simpler and then you don't have to worry about an add-on becoming unsupported.
There has been some discussion on another admin site (XenAdmins) about that very thing. You look at some of the images in the thread and you begin to see just how ridiculous it is. No standardization on where they are, some of them are god-awfully long and then some of them are just outright stupid in what they say.

Top Bottom