CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
Do you mean the bottom of a featured thread block?
No at the bottom of a thread. Supplemental content for threads. Like "Suggestions for more reading" "Check out more interesting discussions below". All the best news sites do this and something forums really lack. Using featured thread data would be perfect for this.

That's not really in the scope of this add-on.

Besides, all of the add-ons I've seen related to 'similar' threads do a very poor job.

The link to 'more current interesting discussions' is really just the featured threads page, or the archive page for all of them.

You can add those below threads by editing the template.

Possible bug:

Today I featured a thread and ticked promote to slider, but it did not give me the usual dialogue box to add the slider image. Also the dropdown thread tools still had Feature thread but no unfeature thread or update.

So I clicked on Feature thread (thinking that it had just not got featured) and I got the error message that the thread was already featured. In the end I got the slider image by clicking on update in the thread list.

Doesn't have near the same value as a full featured thread block, but thanks anyway :)
Right, I see what you're asking for now - you want a featured thread block on the thread view page.
I'm not sure that's a particularly good location so it probably wouldn't be something I would add at this point.

Possible bug...
It's not something I've seen before, or which has been reported.

If it happens again then it may point to an issue with your installation, such as an outdated template, conflicting add-on, or template modification which hasn't been applied.

I'm not sure that's a particularly good location so it probably wouldn't be something I would add at this point.
I tried including the featured item template in thread_view under the quick reply editor and it looks good, but only rendered the block style and no content

btw to get the block to show only to guests in forum view I used this framework, but it does not show. If I remove the code it shows. Makes no sense to me

<xen:if is="{$contentTemplate} != 'forum_view'">

<xen:else />
<xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}">

</xen:if>
</xen:if>

I tried including the featured item template in thread_view under the quick reply editor and it looks good, but only rendered the block style and no content
The data isn't available to the template - it would require code changes to work.

tw to get the block to show only to guests in forum view I used this framework, but it does not show.
Wrap the entire contents of the cta_featuredthreads_list_item template in a conditional statement targeting guests and the forum_view template.

It's not something I've seen before, or which has been reported.

If it happens again then it may point to an issue with your installation, such as an outdated template, conflicting add-on, or template modification which hasn't been applied.
Ok, well I will try to see if it is reproducible.

I just tried with another thread and it worked as expected. I do get errors sometimes re: CTA Feature threads and Similar Threads addon so may be there is the conflict.

Wrap the entire contents of the cta_featuredthreads_list_item template in a conditional statement targeting guests and the forum_view template.
Then it doesn't show on the homepage. But regardless there is some problem with <xen:if is="{$contentTemplate} == 'forum_view'">. Adding this does not render the box in forum_view. If I remove the conditional the box renders in forum_view.

Wrapping that template in a conditional statement won't affect the home page as it isn't used there.

I know unlikely, but I think it would be awesome to have a [bd] widget link/image/snippet of the past X featured threads. Maybe some how this can already be done. Just thinking of ways to give featured threads more visibility. Right now the featured threads page is kinda hidden.

In what way?
The functionality for the RSS feed is identical to how XF does it.
If the image path were included I could use it when syndicating the RSS. Right now I can't grab the image. That would make a big difference in presentation.

Top Bottom