XF 1.5 Correct eMail and bounced eMail setup

Freelancer

I tried to setup eMails to be handled with my eMail provider (which is also the hosting service of the website where XF resides on).

Did fill in all data as it should be correct (with password authentication SSL and correct Port numbers) – however it produces server errors which show "can not open socket". It seems like XF can not establish a connection with the mail server. Checked and double checked that the filled in data is correct.

On "default" setup and deactivated bounced email management it it works without problems. What is "default setup" anyway? Plain PHP script eMailer?

Any advise?

I use
PHP 5.6.2
XF 1.5.3

Here you go. I x'd-out parts for privacy...

Code:
Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Email to xxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com failed (after retry): Could not open socket - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
Generated By: Unknown Account, A moment ago
Stack Trace
#0 /var/www/clients/client180/web812/web/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('ssl://mail.timm...')
#1 /var/www/clients/client180/web812/web/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(216): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
#2 /var/www/clients/client180/web812/web/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#3 /var/www/clients/client180/web812/web/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /var/www/clients/client180/web812/web/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(91): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#5 /var/www/clients/client180/web812/web/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(7.9999990463257)
#6 /var/www/clients/client180/web812/web/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 7.9999990463257, '')
#7 /var/www/clients/client180/web812/web/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.9999990463257, '', false)
#8 /var/www/clients/client180/web812/web/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#9 /var/www/clients/client180/web812/web/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#10 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(44) "https://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/deferred.php"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(31) "/conversations/xxxxxxxxxxx.8/"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

This is separate from the bounced email processing. It does indicate some sort of networking issue between your server and your SMTP server, though it could also indicate that the SMTP details aren't correct. It's probably worth trying to make a connection like this directly from the command line to see if it works.

Unfortunately, the error here is coming from the network stack so it's not something we can really control.

It does indicate some sort of networking issue between your server and your SMTP server, though it could also indicate that the SMTP details aren't correct.
The hosting provider and the mail server is the same. Maybe that is a problem. I will try other ports without SSL and see what that results in. I will report asap.

That can often be related and it may cause the connection to be created different internally (in the network stack).

*Fruitcage* me... I tested different Port Numbers. And the standard port for SSL SMTP from the provider is 587 and not working. Alternative ports were 465 and 25. I changed it to 465 and bingo it works. My eMail client is setup to 587 though. Strange...
Thanks for talking to me. I appreciate. (y):whistle:;)

I got (just one) error very similar, after changing SMTP to Amazon SES. Other mail seems to be OK (with one or two exceptions that Amazon seems to have blacklisted but that's not the same thing)

I have Email options SMTP configured the way Amazon SES says: port 587. @MattW is the host, however as I'm about to switch to Sparkpost maybe this is moot anyway, just thought I'd mention it in on the off chance it can be helpful.

Code:
Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Email to person@example.com failed (after retry): Could not open socket - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
Generated By: Unknown Account, Yesterday at 8:31 AM
Stack Trace
#0 /home/xyz/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('tcp://email-smt...')
#1 /home/xyz/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(216): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
#2 /home/xyz/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#3 /home/xyz/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /home/xyz/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(91): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#5 /home/xyz/public_html/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(7.99999904633)
#6 /home/xyz/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 7.99999904633, '')
#7 /home/xyz/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.99999904633, '', false)
#8 /home/xyz/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#9 /home/xyz/public_html/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#10 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(37) "http://cafesaxophone.com/deferred.php"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(60) "/threads/normandy-france-with-covered-toneholes.19006/page-3"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

Top Bottom