Convert Threads to Resources

Convert Threads to Resources 1.0.2

No permission to download

0ptima

0ptima submitted a new resource:

Convert Thread to Resource - Convert the first post from an existing forum thread into a resource manager resource.

This addon allows you to convert the first post from an existing forum thread into a resource manager resource. The newly created resource will be posted under the original thread starter and will retain the original thread date.

Special thanks to Nobita.Kun for developing this addon.

Settings
There are two usergroup settings to convert threads. One to allow for individual thread conversions and another for batch conversion of threads.
View attachment 73483

In order to convert a thread to a resource category,...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Great idea thanks but thread created by user in 2001 date. Now if convert a thread to resource, new date showing up on 2014 why? Converted resource date and time must be the same as with created thread. So I'm not sure, that's correct a thought or it is possible?

Nope I did not tried it yet but I seen date and time your added screenshots and I did not think it so. If date and time have been kept in thread with converted resource, then there is no problem. Thank you.

Nope I did not tried it yet but I seen date and time your added screenshots and I did not think it so. If date and time have been kept in thread with converted resource, then there is no problem. Thank you.

Ive updated the description to indicate that the resource will be created with the original thread date.

How are attachments in the first post of the thread handled when it is converted to a resource?

How are attachments in the first post of the thread handled when it is converted to a resource?

Same way as quoting a post.

@Kevin With version 1.0.1, first post attachments are associated with the resource. Here is an example of how they are handled.

Original thread
thread.webp
Thread converted to a resource
convertedThread.webp
Resource
resource.webp

Last edited:
How does this differ from the other add on that does from what I can tell the same?

How does this differ from the other add on that does from what I can tell the same?

Have not used it, but based on the description, you can "convert threads to resources, link threads to existing resources and link a new resource to an existing thread."

My thread have uploaded a attachments ".pdf", when I change to resource, it's disappear.

Did some digging and this is due to the Resource Manager only accepting images for uploads in the resource description.
upload_2014-5-26_22-35-24.webp

All other types of files would need to be uploaded as resources.
upload_2014-5-26_22-39-14.webp

The only problem is that you can only upload one non image resource. As such, this addon should only be used for converting threads with image attachments.

If the threads you converted only had one non image attachment, then the resources can be manually updated with mysql. The non image attachment would then be available by clicking the "download now" button.

Let me know if you would like me to show you how to do this.

Did some digging and this is due to the Resource Manager only accepting images for uploads in the resource description.
View attachment 74474

All other types of files would need to be uploaded as resources.
View attachment 74475

The only problem is that you can only upload one non image resource. As such, this addon should only be used for converting threads with image attachments.

If the threads you converted only had one non image attachment, then the resources can be manually updated with mysql. The non image attachment would then be available by clicking the "download now" button.

Let me know if you would like me to show you how to do this.
Thanks you, I would like you to show me how to do this.

Make sure you backup your database first before doing the following!

He is a thread with a PDF as an attachment that will be used as an example.
1.webp
Here is the converted thread with a resource ID of 40.
2.webp

Open up phpmyadmin and go to the XF_RESOURCE table and find the resource you want to update.
In this example, the resource ID is 40.
3.webp

Change the “is_fileless” field from “1” to “0”.
4.webp

Next edit the resource
5.webp

Right click on the attachment and save it to your computer.
6.webp

Next, click on the “Delete” button to delete the attachment and then save the resource.

You will now see the orange “Download Now” button. Click on “Post Resource Update”
7.webp

Click on “Upload your resource”, upload the saved PDF and save the resource.
8.webp

Now go to the “Version History” tab and delete the oldest entry.
9.webp
Please let me know if this works for you.

Please accept my apologies for this issue. I never tested such a scenario as I only have images in my converted threads.

The resource description has been updated to indicate that only image attachments can be transferred.

Thanks so much for your help.
But I can't fint button "Upload your resource”, because the author of this resource is a member, not me.
But When I Reassign Resource with my nick name, button "Upload your resource” display and I upload the saved PDF and save the resource. Then, I Reassign Resource again with author of resource.
Sorry for my bad English.

I also had the same problem here where on my own old Vbulletin forum I had 200 posts with file attachments. Part of the reason for switching to Xenforo was to use the Resource section and have all of those downloads better organized. When I copied my data everything moved post -> post, and then I planned to manually create the 200 resources, but it was a major task, particularly linking the discussion back to the post data.

This convert threads to resources plugin is great, but if it could save as OPTION_IS_FILELESS as false and also link the file to the version upload it would be perfect.

Any chance of an update for that or perhaps could I help with it? Maybe it needs to be a separate addon for people who want to convert downloadable resources from posts so as to avoid confusion with image only posts ?

I would be interested to assist if needed

Top Bottom