1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert Threads to Resources 1.0.2

Convert the first post from an existing forum thread into a resource manager resource.

1. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

0ptima submitted a new resource:

Convert Thread to Resource - Convert the first post from an existing forum thread into a resource manager resource.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Amin Sabet and optrex like this.
  2. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member

Great idea thanks but thread created by user in 2001 date. Now if convert a thread to resource, new date showing up on 2014 why? Converted resource date and time must be the same as with created thread. So I'm not sure, that's correct a thought or it is possible?

3. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

@Eagle
    I just tried it out and the original dates have been kept. Please post a screen shot of the date that has changed.

giaxaydung likes this.
  4. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member

Nope I did not tried it yet but I seen date and time your added screenshots and I did not think it so. If date and time have been kept in thread with converted resource, then there is no problem. Thank you.

5. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Ive updated the description to indicate that the resource will be created with the original thread date.

giaxaydung likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

How are attachments in the first post of the thread handled when it is converted to a resource?

7. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Same way as quoting a post.

@Kevin With version 1.0.1, first post attachments are associated with the resource. Here is an example of how they are handled.

Original thread
    thread.PNG
    Thread converted to a resource
    convertedThread.PNG
    Resource
    resource.PNG

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  8. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

How does this differ from the other add on that does from what I can tell the same?

9. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Have not used it, but based on the description, you can "convert threads to resources, link threads to existing resources and link a new resource to an existing thread."

10. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Kevin likes this.
  11. Lil.Tee

Lil.Tee Member

My thread have uploaded a attachments ".pdf", when I change to resource, it's disappear.

12. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Did some digging and this is due to the Resource Manager only accepting images for uploads in the resource description.
    upload_2014-5-26_22-35-24.png

All other types of files would need to be uploaded as resources.
    upload_2014-5-26_22-39-14.png

The only problem is that you can only upload one non image resource. As such, this addon should only be used for converting threads with image attachments.

If the threads you converted only had one non image attachment, then the resources can be manually updated with mysql. The non image attachment would then be available by clicking the "download now" button.

Let me know if you would like me to show you how to do this.

Lil.Tee likes this.
  13. Lil.Tee

Lil.Tee Member

Thanks you, I would like you to show me how to do this.

14. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Make sure you backup your database first before doing the following!

He is a thread with a PDF as an attachment that will be used as an example.
    1.png
    Here is the converted thread with a resource ID of 40.
    2.png

Open up phpmyadmin and go to the XF_RESOURCE table and find the resource you want to update.
    In this example, the resource ID is 40.
    3.png

Change the “is_fileless” field from “1” to “0”.
    4.png

Next edit the resource
    5.png

Right click on the attachment and save it to your computer.
    6.png

Next, click on the “Delete” button to delete the attachment and then save the resource.

You will now see the orange “Download Now” button. Click on “Post Resource Update”
    7.png

Click on “Upload your resource”, upload the saved PDF and save the resource.
    8.png

Now go to the “Version History” tab and delete the oldest entry.
    9.png
    Please let me know if this works for you.

Please accept my apologies for this issue. I never tested such a scenario as I only have images in my converted threads.

The resource description has been updated to indicate that only image attachments can be transferred.

shibuya246 and Lil.Tee like this.
  15. Lil.Tee

Lil.Tee Member

Thanks so much for your help.
    But I can't fint button "Upload your resource”, because the author of this resource is a member, not me.
    But When I Reassign Resource with my nick name, button "Upload your resource” display and I upload the saved PDF and save the resource. Then, I Reassign Resource again with author of resource.
    Sorry for my bad English.

shibuya246 likes this.
  16. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

I did not think about that... Im glad it worked out for you in the end :)

Lil.Tee likes this.
  17. shibuya246

shibuya246 Member

I also had the same problem here where on my own old Vbulletin forum I had 200 posts with file attachments. Part of the reason for switching to Xenforo was to use the Resource section and have all of those downloads better organized. When I copied my data everything moved post -> post, and then I planned to manually create the 200 resources, but it was a major task, particularly linking the discussion back to the post data.

This convert threads to resources plugin is great, but if it could save as OPTION_IS_FILELESS as false and also link the file to the version upload it would be perfect.

Any chance of an update for that or perhaps could I help with it? Maybe it needs to be a separate addon for people who want to convert downloadable resources from posts so as to avoid confusion with image only posts ?

I would be interested to assist if needed

18. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

@shibuya246

Does each thread have one non image attachment?

19. shibuya246

shibuya246 Member

20. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

You would be better off asking @Nobita.Kun who created this addon to see if he can extend it further for your needs.