XF 1.0 Cleaning-Up Spam

The proliferation of human-backed CAPTCHA breakers and all manner of other means to break through anti-robot protection on forums means that spam prevention systems must now be joined with spam clean-up utilities.

With this in mind, XenForo introduces the Spam Cleaner - a one-stop shop for quickly and easily dealing with spam that has made it onto your forum.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

Possibly its because before with vb3 I was constantly under spam attacks, with ipb3 I haven't had one issue due to their excellent spam prevention. Equal to that is all I need.

A centralised spam database for XF would be awesome. I love features more when they're community-controlled (to an extent). A collaborative effort from the whole team will build a very efficient spam prevention database and people enjoy things if they feel they can add their own experience to it.

I think something in XenForo like "Submit user to spam database for review" would be good... or just automated spam tracking (which you can opt out of).

I wouldn't be surprised if StopForumSpam.com does a mod for this, and either way I'll gladly help out coding a mod for it if I can!

With ipb you just have to flag as spammer and they get reported. Not sure how it works, I suppose if their name gets so many forums reporting them they get banned from all ipb forums.

Sorry to ask this again, but if you set zero on the maximum post count, you could remove all messages of the user? There's no 50-100-200 limit on removing all his messages?

Stopforumspam works quite well for us, having that included as a default feature would be huge in cutting down your average forum's spam. Especially if it went above and beyond the vB.org implementation, in that you could temporarily "whitelist" an IP so a user who is clearly not a spambot, but posting from an IP that has been tagged as spam could register. It doesn't happen often to us, but innocents do get tagged from time to time, usually because of dynamic IP addresses on large ISPs.

How difficult would it be to implement a list of spam keywords to scan prior to a post going live? That way it would put specific posts/threads into moderation before going public. Some of us on vb have extensive log files that prevent an enormous amount of spam from ever becoming visible to guests/registered users. Only staff are able to see the threads, and are notified - by a thread in a specified forum. Then staff view the content, and either approve/delete the content. There were plugins on vb that did this, and some have created extended rules/keywords/links to block from public view.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109258
Thanks for looking, and thanks for posting the video

bump for any programmers to potentially comment on the post above.... Even if the system will not be setup like above, would it be something a programmer thinks would be difficult to implement?

Top Bottom