XF 2.2 Cleaning up old content does not seem to save space - why?

Mikethemix

I have been doing some aggressive pruning of a test site, deleted most of the forum nodes which had large number of pdf attachments, also pruned most of the XFMG categories with about 12,000 images removed.
However, that has not significantly reduced the storage size shown in cPanel's Disk Useage.
I have rebuilt caches and it seems those files are still there, judging by the numbers shown.
File manager shows most of the storage is in public html, in the attachments folders.
Is there a routine to clean those deleted files out?

Last edited:
Try manually running the daily and hourly cron tasks. It's possible they're not running if they're activity based and it's a test site. See if this helps.

I believe it is handled by a routine cron task that tidies the attachments up. How long have you been waiting since you first deleted?
About 24 hours
12000 images shouldn't be that much anyway.
they are typically 1.5MB each - so that would be about 18GB i think...
Try manually running the daily and hourly cron tasks. It's possible they're not running if they're activity based and it's a test site. See if this helps.
Many thanks. Just tried that - they ran super fast and no impact on the storage sizes.

However, that has not significantly reduced the storage size shown in cPanel's Disk Useage.

Sometimes cPanel will not update the Disk Usage value. To fix this issue you need to delete the following directory:

/home/username/.cpanel/datastore

Then close and open cPanel, it will re-create the datastore directory and the cache files.

Sometimes cPanel will not update the Disk Usage value. To fix this issue you need to delete the following directory:

/home/username/.cpanel/datastore

Then close and open cPanel, it will re-create the datastore directory and the cache files.
many thanks Andy, Just tried that, still comes up with same 46GB storage size - mainly in public_html

Did you check your trash bin?
Well spotted, yes there was stuill a little in there. Now emptied, it has brought the total down to 45GB.

One worrying item - I asked it to rebuild attachment thumbnails yesterday evening.
It warned me there was still an unfinished job this morning, so i told it to continue.
It is still busy doing that - so far claims to have done 14,900 which seems an insane number.
Shall I terminate that job?

Without rebuilding the attachments (especially with a mass delete of that scale) the software doesn't know for sure which attachments are orphaned, so the attachments rebuild and the orphans are flagged for deletion on the next cron job.

Glad you got it sorted 👍

Top Bottom