XF 1.0 Cleaning-Up Spam

The proliferation of human-backed CAPTCHA breakers and all manner of other means to break through anti-robot protection on forums means that spam prevention systems must now be joined with spam clean-up utilities.

With this in mind, XenForo introduces the Spam Cleaner - a one-stop shop for quickly and easily dealing with spam that has made it onto your forum.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

E-mail spammer.

Though I always hate to assume the worst, this e-mail functionality could be mis-used and send completely irrelevant e-mails. Would it be possible to have an admincp option that makes the message body uneditable (usergroup-specific if you like)?

E-mail spammer.

Though I always hate to assume the worst, this e-mail functionality could be mis-used and send completely irrelevant e-mails. Would it be possible to have an admincp option that makes the message body uneditable (usergroup-specific if you like)?

I trust my mods to not mis-use it. If they do, they won't be mods anymore.

But I think if you tell your mods to not use it, unless in that one off situation where the user you're processing their post might be misread, and you want to inform the spammer, this gives room for discussing that outside of the forum. While keeping the forum clean in the meantime.

No, that would be rather extreme. IP banning is currently an administrator-only action.
Hm. But is there any reason you wouldn't want to IP ban a spammer? Why not make it a permission setting? If I'm deleting spam from my board, it would be convenient to also be able to ban the IP adresses the user posted from. And if it's an admin only action, I should still be able to ban from there, in my humble opinion.

Anyway, I like the way it's handled.

Very nice indeed
Is there a chance the "Spam" button/link can be added to the persons profile page, or the popup info card? It'd save a few clicks :p
Both on the todo list :)
Wouldn't a different name be more appropriate since everyone would have that in their profile, even if they had made 1000s of posts? info/spam? info?

That would be the link the moderators would click on to check peoples IPs, right?

?

Hm. But is there any reason you wouldn't want to IP ban a spammer? Why not make it a permission setting? If I'm deleting spam from my board, it would be convenient to also be able to ban the IP adresses the user posted from. And if it's an admin only action, I should still be able to ban from there, in my humble opinion.

Anyway, I like the way it's handled.

Because most people's home broadband is on a Dynamic IP, so each time they connect they are given a new IP address. Just because a spammer uses it one time doesn't mean it isn't then possible an actual user may be assigned that IP and you will have blocked them also.

Really really bad idea to block IP's for this reason.

Because most people's home broadband is on a Dynamic IP, so each time they connect they are given a new IP address. Just because a spammer uses it one time doesn't mean it isn't then possible an actual user may be assigned that IP and you will have blocked them also.

Really really bad idea to block IP's for this reason.
Point taken.

I was just about to ask if it is possible to ban a spammer before they post as they're usually easy to spot.
Every single member will start off meeting the # of posts/likes/join date criteria.

Currently we moderate everyones first few posts on our forum.

Hi Kier

You only show us the soft cleaner but is there a way for a hard cleaner too? Most of the spammer were real spammer and all of them should be banned completely and their post should be hardly deleted.

Top Bottom