Calendar

Calendar 6.1

No permission to download
Keeps getting better and better! (y)

I thought of a few ideas you might consider Andy:

• have the add/remove link in the thread only visible to original poster and admin/moderators. That way no one can mess with settings of another.
  • ability to have the calendar option only available in select nodes. I have an events forum and would like for this to only work from there.
  • Maybe display a text message on index page to announce any holidays as they occur?
  • forward and back arrows on the calendar pages to move from month to month
Not trying to increase your work load Andy. Use these if you would like. :)

Some very good ideas.

1) This is already the way it works.

2) I think you will find that adding calendar events from other forums will be useful. Also it's nice having menu controls static so you can quickly find them.

3) I like this idea. Of course it would be an admin option to display the greeting or not.

4) I've used those in the past, but adding controls then requires a label indicating the month and year, it ends up cluttering the interface. The way I have it now is super easy to use and your eye can quickly see the month and year due to lack of clutter.

Hi,

Firstly great addon. I've never really used a calender before but I can see how it would be useful. Would the following options be feasible:

• Add / Remove Calender: Instead of limiting to admin could there be an option for usergroups, so I could allow all members? In addition could there be an option for submissions to be subject to moderator review? For example I have a lot of role-plays on my forum. I am sure my members would like to be able to submit when their roleplay is starting, which mods could review to ensure there isn't load of rubbish being added.
  • Custom title: By this I mean the title of the thread isn't always clear in the calender. Using a roleplay example again, the calender would ideally read "Vampire Roleplay Starting", whereas the thread title might read "Chapter 1: The Meeting". The default setting would still remain as the thread title, but the option to choose custom would be great.
  • It would be much better if you could edit the holiday's in the ACP.
  • +1 :Being able to directly add something to the calender. It would be good if you could go in a just double click on a day and add something that doesn't have an associated thread. Again the permissions for this would ideally be by group with the option for moderator approval.
  • +1: User birthdays.
Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

DoN

Hi Disciple of Nagash,

Thank you for your suggestions. Here are my thoughts.

1) Currently the thread starter also has the ability to add a calendar event. I have found that very few members know about the calendar add feature, so typically the admin is the one that ends up adding calendar events. It would be nice though to be able to have more calendar admin fields, I plan on adding that feature.

2) A custom title might confuse. Editing the thread title is a better option IMHO.

3) The Options page doesn't lend itself very well for lots of configurations. Holiday.php file I think is the best choice for a complex think like this.

4) I think that all data should reside in threads/posts. When you have data spread over many different data types the end user is often frustrated. Keep things simple, put data in the thread/post.

5) I will consider doing this.

Hi Andy,

Cheers for the quick reply. Just a few thoughts:

1. I do agree than initially members may not be aware, but I can certainly see it getting used much much more, especially with highlighting the calender events at the top of the forum. On big boards, having members asked to have their threads linked I think would be a time consuming tasks, which would actually result it the calender being less likely to be used. From a personal viewpoint I would much prefer to allow members to submit what they would like to be added, populate in moderator queue for review, and then accept or reject. I think this flow is much easier all round.
  2. I do agree that a custom title may confuse, but again I think this is a valid option to make the more context more clearer. If I use another example: My year competition as a thread where members post pics, which at a later date are then voted on. The thread is clearly titled: Golden Bat Painting Competition Entry Thread, yet in the calender I would really want it to say something like Golden Bat Competition: Voting Opens Today! To achieve the same I would need to edit the thread name.
  3. I am not sure of the structure of the rest of your plugin, but perhaps a table would work for the holidays instead then?
  4. I can see the pros and cons of this.
  5. Thank you.
Of course I understand these are more my personal needs, but I do think they would really help the functionality. I know of course this will likely take time and effort, I would be willing to discuss further if you are looking for a donation? Plus I would be happy to help with any testing.

Cheers

DoN

2. I do agree that a custom title may confuse, but again I think this is a valid option to make the more context more clearer. If I use another example: My year competition as a thread where members post pics, which at a later date are then voted on. The thread is clearly titled: Golden Bat Painting Competition Entry Thread, yet in the calender I would really want it to say something like Golden Bat Competition: Voting Opens Today! To achieve the same I would need to edit the thread name.

I think you will find that editing the thread title once or a few times as in the case of a competition as you described is by far the easiest way to handle this issue.

I like the birthday idea myself! (not sure how it would look/act when there are alot of birthdays on the same day)

I'm writing up an FAQ article w/screenshots on how to submit events to the calendar for the users on my forum. It's very easy to add events, even I can do it with no trouble. :p

@AndyB

Are there any plans to add countdown support to this addon? It would be great to be able to specify certain events to have a countdown and then for the countdown to move onto the next event and then the next event without the need to constanly update the details. That would make this calendar pretty indispensible.

A slight hiccup for me. I had my first event go off today and when it showed on my forum, it seems to be showing two of my avatar pics:

event.webp

require an option for an event to span over a month i.e. from today until end of february. cant do it right now.

Great work as always Andy! much appreciated!

require an option for an event to span over a month i.e. from today until end of february. cant do it right now.

Great work as always Andy! much appreciated!

If the event spans over to the next month, simply add the current month dates and Submit. Then add the following months date and Submit.

Any chance this could be integrated into thread create as some people find creating thread and then editing thread to add dates confusing. A bit like where you have the option to add poll, or you can leave it blank if not needed.

Top Bottom