Bump thread - single click option to quickly bump thread to the top

Stuart Wright

I want to suggest a bump thread feature. It's something which is occasionally very useful.

For example, I have taken a couple of weeks to carefully compose an article thread I want to publish. It's created, proofed and edited in the moderators' private forum before finally being moved to a public forum. The problem is that being two weeks old, it's over 3 pages out of sight (and it's not appropriate to stick it or post a dummy reply). So bumping is the obvious solution.

I think it's worthy of suggesting again despite being suggested before (and closed for lack of interest) at

because
  1. it's easy to implement
  2. the free addon at https://xenforo.com/community/resources/ozzmodz-banxix-bump-thread.8128/ has lots of downloads
Please upvote if you agree this would be a nice addition to admin functionality.

Upvote 25
Reasonable suggestion.

There is a workaround, however.

1. Create a new thread
2. Using inline moderation move existing article post(s) into the new thread
3. Using inline moderation merge the new post and the article post (merge into the newer post)

The result will be the existing article post will now have the same date as the new post.

Reasonable suggestion.

There is a workaround, however.

1. Create a new thread
2. Using inline moderation move existing article post(s) into the new thread
3. Using inline moderation merge the new post and the article post (merge into the newer post)

The result will be the existing article post will now have the same date as the new post.
True, that works, Chris, but not as quick or as intuitive for the average admin as
1.jpg
plus with proper permissions options, users can be given (limited) ability to bump their threads (for classifieds forums, for example, rather than replying with 'bump'). Not something that can realistically be done with your workaround when we don't want users to be able to move or merge posts.

Last edited:
The problem is that being two weeks old, it's over 3 pages out of sight
I installed a "Change Post Date" mod and only gave myself and others using private forums for drafts access to it (it comes with a permission you can add to groups). So, when we move it to the public forum, we change the post date and time to the date and time we are moving it over. Forget whose it is off hand but can check. Might be @Xon.

EDIT: Yes, it's Xon. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/change-post-date-by-xon.6077/

Last edited:
I installed a "Change Post Date" mod and only gave myself and others using private forums for drafts access to it (it comes with a permission you can add to groups). So, when we move it to the public forum, we change the post date and time to the date and time we are moving it over. Forget whose it is off hand but can check. Might be @Xon.

EDIT: Yes, it's Xon. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/change-post-date-by-xon.6077/
Change post date certainly has more flexibility than a simple bump button but, again, it's not as simple or intuitive.

Change post date certainly has more flexibility than a simple bump button but, again, it's not as simple or intuitive.
For sure. I do like the flexibility, though, and have taken advantage of it, e.g. if I am moving multiple posts from draft to public, I can manipulate the times to control the order. Having both a simple bump option and the date editing would be a nice mix, really.

I would definitely like to see this feature. I was quite surprised it's not a basic feature already and spend like 10 minutes looking for it when I wanted to bump a thread. 😅

I also upvoted it, for another reason, but just as nice to have it for.

On our forums once a while we place new firmware revisions for satreceivers in a thread. The oldest get removed and the newest get added. To keep a good oversight this is done by the user who maintains this, by editting the first thread. Kind of like with addons is done here.

However, since it does not become a "new post" on editting, and we don't want the user to post a "there is a new one" every time, a "bump topic" option would come in very andy, if that also set it between the "new posts" again.

Top Bottom