XF 1.5 Bounce email handling question

jauburn

I'm not sure what to put in "host," "port," "user name and password" fields of this section, nor am I sure whether to choose pop3 or imap or any of the encryption options. Can someone help or is there step-by-step instructions somewhere?

Should the user name be entered with a plus sign, as in "bounce+mydomain.com," or with the "@" sign?

Thanks.

bounce.webp

The answer to these questions very much depends on who your email is hosted by, or which email service or mailbox server you wish to use.

If your email host supports IMAP, use that. If not, use POP. If neither, then you can't get it set up.

The host is the hostname or IP address of the mail server. The port is whatever port the mail server listens on.

The username will be whatever the username is of the email account which receives your bounces. The password will be the password of that account.

Much like the connection type, the encryption very much depends on what your mail server has available.

Generally if you don't have any of this information, your host would be the best people to consult.

The answer to these questions very much depends on who your email is hosted by, or which email service or mailbox server you wish to use.

If your email host supports IMAP, use that. If not, use POP. If neither, then you can't get it set up.

The host is the hostname or IP address of the mail server. The port is whatever port the mail server listens on.

The username will be whatever the username is of the email account which receives your bounces. The password will be the password of that account.

Much like the connection type, the encryption very much depends on what your mail server has available.

Generally if you don't have any of this information, your host would be the best people to consult.

Email is "hosted" by the server itself. So I guess it would be mail.<domain>.com? I'm not sure what IMAP is. How would I find out whether that's what's on the server?

How does one enter the user name? In Outlook, for example, I have to write "bounce+<domain>.com," using the plus rather than @. Or does one just enter the "bounce" part of the address?

Thanks.

If you set it up in Outlook, it would have asked you similar questions. POP or IMAP, host and port, username and password. I would wager that if you looked in your account settings in Outlook for that account it would probably indicate whether it is POP or IMAP and the hostname and port etc. The username and password will be the same as you entered in Outlook.

I set it up as POP, since that's what I use in Outlook.

I just got this in the server error logs. Can you tell what's wrong?

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: last request failed - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Pop3.php:190
Generated By: Unknown Account, 2 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/poetryci/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Pop3.php(113): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Pop3->readResponse()
#1 /home/poetryci/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Storage/Pop3.php(190): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Pop3->connect('mail.poetrycirc...', 26, false)
#2 /home/poetryci/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/EmailBounce.php(288): Zend_Mail_Storage_Pop3->__construct(Array)
#3 /home/poetryci/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Deferred/EmailBounce.php(19): XenForo_Model_EmailBounce->openBounceHandlerConnection()
#4 /home/poetryci/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenForo_Deferred_EmailBounce->execute(Array, Array, 7.99999809265, '')
#5 /home/poetryci/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.99999809265, '', false)
#6 /home/poetryci/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#7 /home/poetryci/public_html/forum/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#8 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(42) "http://poetrycircle.com/forum/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(3) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(7) "/forum/"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}

Delete... Close

That would likely indicate that you've entered incorrect details or you've connected to something that isn't a POP3 server.

Top Bottom