Best Theme?

I've only ever used themes by Themehouse and PixelExit so I can only base my answer on those two options.

Both make excellent themes and frameworks that are easy to use and customize.

I've done A LOT of template editing and theme customizations on my current and previous sites and I'd tend to lean towards PixelExit as their framework is a little easier to use and, in my experience, more compatible with other resources (Themehouse add some nice touches and features but they don't always work as intended with other resources, so create more problems than solutions). I'd also say PixelExit themes are a lot less server intense.

I currently run a heavily modified version of Nova Dark on my site.

Saying all that, I've seen some excellent customization of the default xenForo theme and @BassMan and his customizeXF site have some excellent resources for customizing the default theme.

I never see the point in this kind of thread, surely the "best" theme is what suits your needs and how you can adapt it to look unique and work for your site?

Honestly.. if using XF I'd use something from Themehouse when hell froze over. I'm sorry, but I have about as much faith in them as a ounce of crap turning into a few pounds of gold. For some reason..they have sucked up to the teat that is IPS. And to top it off... they really aren't in the running. When it comes to theme, Ehren beats the total batshit out of them.
We dont do IPS, only XenForo. :) People like you are what kick good developers out of the community. Dont like bullies,.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

1670000627252.png

I thought he left Xenforo?

Mike is stepping away (it is not the first time), Kier is staying

And only the bad ones stay, right?

That's not what he said or implied at all though, is it? There is a significantly lower number of developers and designers than there was previously, and I would say the skill ceiling has lowered significantly due to there being less people overall. I also do know at least with the people I stayed in contact with (or at least knew why they were leaving) that toxicity in the community was a big reason.

Designers got hit really hard, as I believe Russ, Ehren and ThemeHouse are the only designers from early on that are left, and most of the people who left are not even active on XenForo or with forums at all anymore.

Understandable, just noting that we are supporting any themes we have, it was add-ons we sunset. No big deal.

We are tentatively planning an ultra-performant theme for 2.3. Im expecting something more interesting from Kier so we shall see what that looks like first. The theme would be free if we did do it.
Thanks, I appreciate the clarification!

Apparently my restyling of one was so "extensive" that a certain TH person apparently thought it was one of theirs by trying to "point out" by saying:

Only problem, as was pointed out to him

View attachment 278039

Confused Power Rangers GIF
Thats not what I was pointing out. :) Ill let others interpret what I was pointing out.

Posting and interacting with the trolls on XenForo.com is always an enjoyable thing. Happy holidays <3

Understandable, just noting that we are supporting any themes we have, it was add-ons we sunset. No big deal.

We are tentatively planning an ultra-performant theme for 2.3. Im expecting something more interesting from Kier so we shall see what that looks like first. The theme would be free if we did do it.
Best was your UI.X Pro, we paid hefty $140+ $ updates for it. But you discontinued it like no care

UI.X Pro was add-on + theme; UI.X is available and I think most things got incorporated into that (other than specific add-ons)?
Yep still supported also ironically. The times call for new things. We launched Ace, a modern take on ui.x pro, gave it away for free. Too toxic/difficult to support here so I didn't create a resource for it but we have hundreds of sites who use it. Ars Technica launched with it for example.

Themes aren't really what they used to be, people just want something fast and not in anyone's way or as unopinionated as possible. Redditlike or twitter.

Most the addons in ui.x pro we reposted as free also or open sourced. The uix pro theme is now in uix package.

Aside from critics (or insults) expressed in this post , we use since our migration from vBulletin in 2015, UI.X 2.

In this thread you can see the evolution of our theme from 2016 onward:

This is the live version (with light and dark)

We bought and tested PixelExit (Bolt) from @Russ and tested AC.UI (got it for free from Audentio) @Mike C
And we found them pretty interesting (for different reasons).

UI.X 2 is really heavy as a theme (we did a lot to make it perform better). But never disappointed in 7 years of use.

Yeah, if you can work with the default, it's definitely solid and regularly updated. I have toyed with it.

However, @Pixel Exit styles have some nice additional features in the underlying framework that I have leveraged over the years so I would probably dip into that well again if I was redesigning or starting a new site. I found working with just default a bit limiting after working with Flat Awesome+ from Pixel Exit. @nodle already posted the link.

Top Bottom