Best Hosting provider for XenForo?

@RoldanLT
That happens from time to time, when their event queue gets some backlog or sometimes when they are ddos-ed, but usually you write a ticket about it get clear in due time. That's why I always check DO status page, before doing restart/power/whatever :)

Reactions: rdn
Notice the IO. SSDs have higher IO.. 160MB/s is on the low side. Some may argue its normal spinning hdds looking at the IOs :)

That's because DO uses RAID5, which is remarkably slow...and well...far less secure. You aren't going to see high I/O with them.

That's because DO uses RAID5, which is remarkably slow...and well...far less secure. You aren't going to see high I/O with them.

I do not think that is the problem. When I signed up with them, about year and half ago, I usually got 600 - 700 MB/s with dd tests. DO was still young then and not with many customers, because they had a big increase in number of customers over time, their servers got more and more crowded, and over time that speed degraded and currently I got around 200 MB/s with mu current droplets.

So Nomy that is the reason in my opinion why you got that speed. And one more thing, before using DО I used several different VPS providers and I never got more than 20-30 MB/s with dd tests, VPS servers tend to get crowded so you can't get a lot of speed from HDD VPS-es, so you can't argue that.

I do not think that is the problem. When I signed up with them, about year and half ago, I usually got 600 - 700 MB/s with dd tests.

Actually, that is part of the problem. RAID5 is considerably slower than RAID10. A very simple 4 drive SSD array should yield well over 1GB/sec. Of course that's going to slow over time, but certainly not to 200 MB/sec. Our very old 7200rpm mechanical drive arrays would beat that without even breaking a sweat. A properly-managed (and not overloaded) SSD server should never be down to 200 MB/sec.

Just a healthy combination of RAID5, and very likely overloaded servers.

When service is popular as DO is, crowded servers is something that is inevitable. They often have to freeze droplet creation per data center location because they can't manage to satisfy demand (source for growth: http://trends.netcraft.com/www.digitalocean.com).

RAID 5 => we already discussed that on another thread, so I will not repeat it here.

And now some real downsides of using DO:

- Still no IPv6
- Only one IPv4 address per VPS
- You can't download snapshots/backup images
- You can't upload snapshots/backup images/OS images
- Private networking is not available in all DC's
- Private networking is per DC, not per account

When service is popular as DO is, crowded servers is something that is inevitable.

Well...no, it's not inevitable at all. You just buy more servers. ROFL!! Just because a service is popular doesn't mean the servers should all be overloaded. That's an accident waiting to happen, and is why a lot of people get the low performance with them.

And now some real downsides of using DO:

- Still no IPv6

Nobody uses it anyway except for spammers. They have plenty of time to implement it.

Like to throw out a recommendation for Wired Tree. They have been absolutely the best hosting service I have used in the last 3 years. Was with Knownhost for around a 1 year or so, they were great at first but slowly degraded as problems arose they couldn't seem to track down. We moved to Wired Tree, actually the guys over there moved everything about 5 months ago and we haven't had a single issue and uptime has been near 100%. Granted we have not done much with our sites as far as optimizing goes and they seem to load fast and get good scores on pingdom and such.

Look at webhostingtalk.com for coupons and you'll find great deals on VPS managed hosting with them. ;)

I am with KnowHost but will leave them now as their server security is increasingly poor. I need a well reputed alternative...

I am with KnowHost but will leave them now as their server security is increasingly poor. I need a well reputed alternative...

What basis do you make this assumption?

Have they stopped implementing basic security steps which they did before?

What basis do you make this assumption?

Have they stopped implementing basic security steps which they did before?

Despite activating various xF security features, I have members posting spam on the forum who haven't actually registered and are not on the user list.... too many security flawes

That doesn't sound to me like it is even possible.

I think you should probably look at troubleshooting that before assuming your host is at fault.

That doesn't sound to me like it is even possible.

I think you should probably look at troubleshooting that before assuming your host is at fault.

Take a look at it yourself - go to my site being readied at www dot click dot singles and you'll see the spammer (member) called 'Medus' - this guy never actually registered and is not on the member list in the ACP, despite the verifications/captchas being in place, and so we can not actually delete 'Medus'.

How would 'Medus' have registered?

There is definitely a user account called Medus on your board. Members can't and won't and will never just appear out of thin air. And there would most certainly be a record of them in the Admin CP.

They have a user ID, they have a registration date, they have several thousand posts. Your assessment of the situation is just not technically possible.

There is definitely a user account called Medus on your board. Members can't and won't and will never just appear out of thin air. And there would most certainly be a record of them in the Admin CP.

They have a user ID, they have a registration date, they have several thousand posts. Your assessment of the situation is just not technically possible.

Actually there may have been a mix-up with the database/forum posts vanishing for which there was no real explanation at all. Any way I will change hosts.

Actually there may have been a mix-up with the database/forum posts vanishing for which there was no real explanation at all. Any way I will change hosts.
I will start with reading Xenforo's manual before changing hosts since it doesn't really look like you know how to handle it. You׳ve also statesd that it would take you more than 24 hours to delete all the copyrighted/abused content, but that's not true. You can run a spam cleaner on these bots. It takes 5 seconds and 3 clicks with your mouse. Changing hosts would have the same result for you, but it sounds like you want to learn it the hard way and just waste time and money.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
I'm a host that specializes in xenForo hosting solutions and do have to say, What has happened is due to incorrect configuration or settings in your forum. What is happening is not the cause of your host, but just your lack of xenForo knowledge. Moving hosts will not fix this issue, taking some time to learn xenForo will ;)

As was confirmed at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1362639 there are no "security issues" with our services and this is purely related to a poor implementation of anti-spam settings in XF.

I don't want there to be any confusion concerning KnownHost's services.
I just read the quoted thread in its entirety, @OverHere.

Claiming security issues because you don't understand how to clean XenForo spam, and seem to be getting confused between databases, is absolutely ridiculous. What do you think will happen when you move to another host, and another host and another host? You had similar issues with Nimbus, am I right? You quote "inexperience" which is laughable as they are becoming one of the more popular hosting companies around here. But aside from that, all that will happen if you change hosts is you will have the same problems over and over again because the problem stems from your inability to either understand or configure the software.

Please don't see this as a harsh criticism. It's actually quite the opposite. I am hoping to encourage you to stay with your current provider and re-evaluate the current situation. That current situation being: You have a spammer that registered to your forum last week that has since made several thousand posts and you need to clean that up and prevent it from happening again.

The best forum to create a thread and receive help with that issue is here: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/troubleshooting-and-problems.24/

I just read the quoted thread in its entirety, @OverHere.

Claiming security issues because you don't understand how to clean XenForo spam, and seem to be getting confused between databases, is absolutely ridiculous. What do you think will happen when you move to another host, and another host and another host? You had similar issues with Nimbus, am I right? You quote "inexperience" which is laughable as they are becoming one of the more popular hosting companies around here. But aside from that, all that will happen if you change hosts is you will have the same problems over and over again because the problem stems from your inability to either understand or configure the software.

Please don't see this as a harsh criticism. It's actually quite the opposite. I am hoping to encourage you to stay with your current provider and re-evaluate the current situation. That current situation being: You have a spammer that registered to your forum last week that has since made several thousand posts and you need to clean that up and prevent it from happening again.

The best forum to create a thread and receive help with that issue is here: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/troubleshooting-and-problems.24/

Not at all, I appreciate your input - with KH the database also vanished earlier on and at that time there was no spam, so there were indeed a no. of issues at play, including the threat of immediate account closure just because a spammer infringed someone's trade mark.
With Nimbus, their back-up facility, for they charge additional fee, when utilised, was appaling - hardly half of the stuff/database was replaced...
Trust me, I have genuine reasons based on true personal experiences and its just a matter of time before I settle with a more professional host.

Last edited:
Top Bottom