Best Hosting for XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jericho M

Hello Everyone,

Just want to know what is the best and not that very expensive hosting for Forums. In all my blogs I used HostGator but I am not sure if HostGator is also a good hosting for forums.

I'll wait for your suggestions.

God Bless!

Jericho

Thank you so much! Very helpful. In your own opinion, which of the above list is the best or the one that you are using?
What I am using is right for me. It find it fits well within my budget, offers the services I need, has fair support, and overall is fast loading.

Heavy / Corporate Plan
affiliate link: https://www.canspace.ca/clients/aff.php?aff=005

However, what is right for me, may not be what you need. You need to ask yourself how much do you want to spend, what services & resources do you need, and finally what level of support.

Last edited:
Dreamhost is pretty amazing for me, and they're a rather huge company and well known and recommended by many popular sites. LifeHacker has been suggesting them for a long time now. While they are expensive if you don't sign up when they're offering some sort of deal. You can usually find someone already using the service to create a promo code for you to use. When they create a promo code, you can get some pretty awesome extras for no cost; save a bunch of money which drops the cost to $20-40 for a year (including a free domain;) or the person creating the promo code can tweak it so they earn a cut of what you pay when you sign up...which actually just goes toward their hosting account I believe.

Either way. DreamHost isn't dedicated for XenForo. They do offer once click installs on a ton of web software, such as WordPress. They offer webmail, unlimited sub domains, unlimited users (for ftp/ssh access,) unlimited databases, ect. All with their shared hosting. Now keep in mind, if you have a massively huge site...shared hosting may not be the best solution for you.

Anyways, if someone is interested in trying DreamHost. I run my XenForo site on it myself, so it's plenty capable. I've created a promo code that you may use that should offer you a year of service with them for $30. Which includes the free domain. If you do use the promo code, I believe I get $5 no matter how good of a deal I create for you. As DreamHost really tries to push people to invite other customers. So you're more than welcome to look for someone elses promo code to use also.

Promo code for DreamHost: XFHOSTING

This question comes up quite often! I think a lot of it comes down to individual needs and expectations. I'm quite spoiled - my dedicated server has not been down for 24 hours total in the last 8 years. On a less important site, I might accept a total of 24 hours or less per year (that's about 99.75% plus uptime).

Also, some depends on the revenue generation of the site. If your site makes $100 a day and is down 3 days per year, you just lost $300 beside the loss of some credibility.

This seems like a nice measuring service for some of the biggies:
http://www.hyperspin.com/en/ranking.php?type=2&i=10&d=365&s=5

It looks like 99.9 is not too much to shoot for. That's a day every 3 years or so total......

Of course, that does not include problems which you cause yourself......software based, etc.

Of course, that does not include problems which you cause yourself......software based, etc.

I love this quote - I find it applies a lot of times in system administration of Linux.... you know, the moment right after you say "Did I mean to do that".
"If you aim the gun at your foot and pull the trigger, it's UNIX's job to ensure reliable delivery of the bullet to where you aimed the gun (in this case, Mr. Foot)."

On topic; I would avoid any company that has any affiliation with Endurance International Group (EIG), which includes HostGator; if you want a list of hosts that EIG own, take a look here on Wikipedia. I'm not the only person to stress about EIG, they've been mentioned quite a lot on here in the past few weeks.
2 security breaches in the last 18 months gives me pause for concern.

Indeed they've had security breaches and it sucks that they have. However, I applaud Linode for how quick they resolved the issue(s) and what they've done over the past year to step up their security.

Security breaches happen everywhere and in every sector, but it doesn't stop people using services (Adobe, Dropbox, Drupal, Evernote, Federal Reserve, LivingSocial, MacRumors, MongoDB, Target, Washington state's Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) and many more).

What I am using is right for me. It find it fits well within my budget, offers the services I need, has fair support, and overall is fast loading.

Heavy / Corporate Plan
affiliate link: https://www.canspace.ca/clients/aff.php?aff=005

However, what is right for me, may not be what you need. You need to ask yourself how much do you want to spend, what services & resources do you need, and finally what level of support.
Adam, I think its important to mention that you also use CDN and at additional cost for it on top of your current hosting plan. So in all fairness it is impossible to rate your sites performance on the host package itself.

Adam, I think its important to mention that you also use CDN and at additional cost for it on top of your current hosting plan. So in all fairness it is impossible to rate your sites performance on the host package itself.
The test site, does not use CDN.

And even with the live site, php files and mysql load locally (not via cdn). The majority of your site runs php and mysql, so the majority will not have anything to do with a CDN, but rather your host.

so the majority will not have anything to do with a CDN
I'd disagree with that - when you look at your site through a raw browsers eyes, most of the page load content is likely to be images, css, and javascript. It's either local browser cache, or content from CDN. Yes, the dynamic content is your site/server directly, but for total page size this dynamic content is not the majority.

I'd disagree with that - when you look at your site through a raw browsers eyes, most of the page load content is likely to be images, css, and javascript. It's either local browser cache, or content from CDN. Yes, the dynamic content is your site/server directly, but for total page size this dynamic content is not the majority.
You can have the best CDN in the world, but if your host does not process the php and mysql .... It's not going to matter.

Correct. But that's hardly the majority having nothing to do with CDN.
XenForo stock, without add-ons or any customizations has more php files than it does js or image files. All of which also bring up and help call the css, js, and image files (as well as msql queries).

So before you even reach that CDN, you're depending on the host.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom