Best Hosting provider for XenForo?

So, no one ere is hosting on inmotionhosting? What about http://www.terabyet.org/vps-hosting.html?

Based on your reports of your needs - what anyone else suggests is not likely to help you much.

Most any host will have many satisfied users and some who are less so.

You should compile a list of what you expect from their support team - based on the things you mentioned such as copyright infringement (will they react? Most have to by law), etc.

If you want problems fixed in a certain amount of time....tell them that. If you want them to fix your mistakes as well as those relating to the server, tell them that. That would be highly managed service, but some people provide it.

Honestly, I don't think you are going to find a good host by looking here - because your needs and expectations are different than others. I have a dedicated server and I probably ask for support once or twice a year. I have never asked them a question about Xenforo because that's not their business.

If you are unfamiliar with some aspects of forum admin, perhaps the host doesn't matter much. My suggestion would be to see if you can hire a "technical" admin here or elsewhere to harden your XF installation and help you will XF and basic server issues.

So, after 1 month using $5 VPS from DO, all I can say is:

It's a good deal. Cheap, stable, support is good, and pretty fast (for a low-medium website)

Based on your reports of your needs - what anyone else suggests is not likely to help you much.

Most any host will have many satisfied users and some who are less so.

You should compile a list of what you expect from their support team - based on the things you mentioned such as copyright infringement (will they react? Most have to by law), etc.

If you want problems fixed in a certain amount of time....tell them that. If you want them to fix your mistakes as well as those relating to the server, tell them that. That would be highly managed service, but some people provide it.

Honestly, I don't think you are going to find a good host by looking here - because your needs and expectations are different than others. I have a dedicated server and I probably ask for support once or twice a year. I have never asked them a question about Xenforo because that's not their business.

If you are unfamiliar with some aspects of forum admin, perhaps the host doesn't matter much. My suggestion would be to see if you can hire a "technical" admin here or elsewhere to harden your XF installation and help you will XF and basic server issues.
Thanks, but there are no specific needs, just average needs - its just that with Nimbus their back up was no good and with KnownHost they made an accusation without backing it up which would have justified the desired action at our end.

I am looking at inmotionhosting.com

I just read the quoted thread in its entirety, @OverHere.

Claiming security issues because you don't understand how to clean XenForo spam, and seem to be getting confused between databases, is absolutely ridiculous. What do you think will happen when you move to another host, and another host and another host? You had similar issues with Nimbus, am I right? You quote "inexperience" which is laughable as they are becoming one of the more popular hosting companies around here. But aside from that, all that will happen if you change hosts is you will have the same problems over and over again because the problem stems from your inability to either understand or configure the software.

Please don't see this as a harsh criticism. It's actually quite the opposite. I am hoping to encourage you to stay with your current provider and re-evaluate the current situation. That current situation being: You have a spammer that registered to your forum last week that has since made several thousand posts and you need to clean that up and prevent it from happening again.

The best forum to create a thread and receive help with that issue is here: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/troubleshooting-and-problems.24/

If you look at the log given by KnownHost below, the offender ID is 'medus.423' and the only similar ID we have actually registered is 'medus':

91.200.14.63 - - [25/Mar/2014:02:48:25 -0400] "GET /members/medus.423/ HTTP/1.0" 200 47787 "http://click.singles/members/medus.423/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/535.12 (KHTML, like Gecko) Maxthon/3.0 Chrome/18.0.966.0 Safari/535.12"

So, as I said before, there is indeed a phantom ID at play here - hopefully with a new host this will not happen.

I'm trying not to be offensive here. So I will just sensitively say:

Medus is a user registered on your forum. Medus has a user ID of 423.

The username is Medus, the user ID is 423.

There is no "phantom ID". You're talking about the same thing.

Example:

Your username: OverHere
Your user ID: 46951
Your members URL: http://xenforo.com/community/members/overhere.46951/

Notice this bit in particular: /members/overhere.46951

Comared to: /members/medus.423

There isn't a phantom ID here called overhere.46951. That is just you.

Basically you have just confirmed pretty much all of my points in the post you quoted.

I'm trying not to be offensive here. So I will just sensitively say:

Medus is a user registered on your forum. Medus has a user ID of 423.

The username is Medus, the user ID is 423.

There is no "phantom ID". You're talking about the same thing.

Example:

Your username: OverHere
Your user ID: 46951
Your members URL: http://xenforo.com/community/members/overhere.46951/

Notice this bit in particular: /members/overhere.46951

Comared to: /members/medus.423

There isn't a phantom ID here called overhere.46951. That is just you.

Basically you have just confirmed pretty much all of my points in the post you quoted.

I see, fine, but as I said before KnownHost does indeed have security flaws especially since our database/forums vanished for no reason and @SchmitzIT will back this up. With Nimbus, their back up facility is of no use.

But, taking into account what you say above, I will certainly watch out for any similar behaviour once I am on the new host and with 1.3 in play, will attempt to control the spam in a way which would not compromise the host/server security.
Lets see.

The Nimbus backup procedure worked perfectly for us. We used it to make a copy of our live site onto our development site. I'm not sure what problem the guy had but I think broad statements like "it doesn't work" are misleading at best.

Apparently:

I find that very hard to believe to be honest, yea backup systems can fail, but no1 thats why you do periodic tests and checks, and no2, half the data missing? Generally its going to be either all or nothing...

I find that very hard to believe to be honest, yea backup systems can fail, but no1 thats why you do periodic tests and checks, and no2, half the data missing? Generally its going to be either all or nothing...

backups are there to replace your website if your VPS etc gets hacked or is washed away - if the backup does not put back at least a majority of the functions of the website then what's the use?

I see, fine, but as I said before KnownHost does indeed have security flaws especially since our database/forums vanished for no reason and @SchmitzIT will back this up. With Nimbus, their back up facility is of no use.
If you trust ANY hosts backup alone then you have violated the first tenant of data safety. I run my own servers (and associated VPS containers on some of them) and I back ALL of my sites up to at least 3 different locations. The failure here was (and it bites numerous people) YOU failed to maintain the integrity of your data. You want to be sure it's done... be prepared to do it yourself. That's the only way to guarantee it's done right.

backups are there to replace your website if your VPS etc gets hacked or is washed away - if the backup does not put back at least a majority of the functions of the website then what's the use?

And that is why it is very important to always make your own backups and not rely on your host to do it. No matter what host you are using.

My nimbus backup provided an exact replica of my entire site, files, database, etc.

If you trust ANY hosts backup alone then you have violated the first tenant of data safety. I run my own servers (and associated VPS containers on some of them) and I back ALL of my sites up to at least 3 different locations. The failure here was (and it bites numerous people) YOU failed to maintain the integrity of your data. You want to be sure it's done... be prepared to do it yourself. That's the only way to guarantee it's done right.
And that is why it is very important to always make your own backups and not rely on your host to do it. No matter what host you are using.

You both are absolutely right, I was silly enough to have confided in Nimbus alone due to their additional backup service.

You both are absolutely right, I was silly enough to have confided in Nimbus alone due to their additional backup service.

That makes it sound like Nimbus are somehow at fault when I doubt that is the case.

You did follow their advice for a test restore right?

As this is a managed service we make sure that the backups are successfully running each night. We do strongly recommend that you request a test restore at regular intervals though, this will ensure that the files that are being backed up cover what you need in the event of a disaster. The last thing you want is to find out that an essential file is not available when you really need it.

It sounds to me like you have completely unrealistic expectations for your host. It is their job to take care of your server, keep it online, apply security patches, perhaps install 3rd party software (managed hosting), etc. It is NOT their job to manage your forum.

You obviously don't understand how the usernames work for XF, etc. That isn't their responsibility. What's next? Do you want them to moderate your forum for you too, and start participating and making posts? YOU need to learn how to manage your forum. YOU need to learn how to take care of the users, spam, etc. YOU need to take responsibility for your site, and if you don't know the absolute basics, you shouldn't be running your own forum. Hire some moderators or such to take care of this for you. That's not what your host is supposed to be doing.

As far as backups, it happens. I've seen it many times. Backups only copy what is on the main server, and if the files on the main server became corrupt, were damaged, etc., the backup just isn't going to work. That's why if you truly care about your data, you need to have multiple backups, not just what your host provides.

Top Bottom