• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Banner Rotater

What would you like to see in it?

Ideas I have so far:

Options:

- displayed random, or sequential
- select which Node a banner should be displayed, or all Nodes
- stored in the file system
- locations: top, side bar (if applicable), footer
- expiry date (ie: display for 1 week, 47 days, or 1 year)

I would like it random. On top. I like the idea of manually stopping them but some others I am sure will want expiration dates but not sure how. Not sure about the rest at the moment.

I've always found that most clients anyways ask for a rotating banner system for their forums. Not sure if you are saying that a random banner is the same thing as rotating or not.

I would like it random. On top. I like the idea of manually stopping them but some others I am sure will want expiration dates but not sure how. Not sure about the other questions

Sorry, the list above is options (not questions) that will be provided. ie: you can select random or sequential, and select which banner should go on top, or bottom, or both.

The file system is where I think they should be stored.

If you have any ideas you would like to see implemented let me know, :)

By node do you mean which forums? If not an option to have it not run in certain forums would be nice. I'd like to not have 1 sponsors banner displayed in another. TIA

A Node refers to a forum or Page, :)

I have only used two banner systems. One on SMF and one on my current forum. Have not tried enough to have any ideas. :)

Oh.... The space under forum statistics. Wonders of some could go there as well.....Maybe square ones different from the top rotating banners. Maybe static ones on the side?

How flexible/powerful are you going to make this?
Advertisers usually purchase a set number of impressions over a set period of time in certain forums/threads, sometimes with geotargetting and with an optional max number of views to each person (IP). That means you need a very complex ad placement and reporting system (reporting to the team selling ads so they know what inventory they have available to sell and to the clients).
I wrote a similar system years ago for vBulletin which allowed advertisers to see reports of impressions and clicks and upload new banners. I ditched it in favour of outsourcing ad serving from www.adtech.de. Big sites will have to outsource ad serving because advertisers will insist on independent reports. And because handling the complexity of serving ads over huge forums is a nightmare.
You should also consider allowing ad placement based on keywords (from the thread title and also searches).
When on top of everything else you can have 3 or 4 ads per page (e.g. top leaderboard, MPU, skyscraper, bottom leaderboard) with clients either wanting a whole page takeover or specifically not showing multiple ads on the same page, it can get extremely complicated.

I think the important thing here is location, location, location and having options for differentiating by usergroup as necessary. I would imagine *most* people are going to manage their adverts with something like openX or Google AdManager, so the actual 'rotator' and management part isn't so important (and quite the complicated bit!).

Folks may I just comment here that Google Adsense is not necessarily a good idea long term.
If you don't have any resources to sell advertising, Adsense is an easy solution to get some pennies coming in.
But if you are able to actively sell advertising on your forum, then Adsense seriously devalues the advertising space on your site.
Check out avforums.com. You'll find house adverts before you see any Adsense.

however for some of us in the right niche, AdSense generates 10's of thousands of pennies a day as fill-in for house accounts ;)

for us, nothing else comes close, and with ultra-low (almost nothing) overhead.

Folks may I just comment here that Google Adsense is not necessarily a good idea long term.
If you don't have any resources to sell advertising, Adsense is an easy solution to get some pennies coming in.
But if you are able to actively sell advertising on your forum, then Adsense seriously devalues the advertising space on your site.
Check out avforums.com. You'll find house adverts before you see any Adsense.
Adsense is doing just fine for me. I actually do not want paid advertisers.

Top Bottom