• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Banner Rotater

Lawrence...when do you see you're self releasing this mod?

I'm hoping sometime during Beta 3.

When I release it, the first version will be released for testing and usability feedback. Specific checks, such as banner size for locations won't be included in the first release (for example, the sidebar location should be used for tower ads or square/button sized ads and not for full banner sized ads - it'll be up to you in the first release to be sure full and leader board ads are not selected to show in the sidebar).

I'm hoping sometime during Beta 3.

When I release it, the first version will be released for testing and usability feedback. Specific checks, such as banner size for locations won't be included in the first release (for example, the sidebar location should be used for tower ads or square/button sized ads and not for full banner sized ads - it'll be up to you in the first release to be sure full and leader board ads are not selected to show in the sidebar).

Got a client sweating on this one :) Go Lawerence go...
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif

I'm working on groupings and node-id's now. Once those are done it'll be ready for release. You can now upload a banner from your PC (before, you needed FTP access or the CPanel File Manager; which if you have a lot of sponsors, I recommend).

Hey Lawrence,

From what you just said it sounds like I will be able to put things under the forum statistics thing on the forum main page? Maybe going on down the length of the forum?

I'm working on groupings and node-id's now. Once those are done it'll be ready for release. You can now upload a banner from your PC (before, you needed FTP access or the CPanel File Manager; which if you have a lot of sponsors, I recommend).
Hope that it is soon.....:)

Can we get an update Lawrence?

Fetching a specific banner based on NodeId is done. This was more time consuming than I would have thought, not because of finding if a NodeId a visitor is in matches the one selected for the ad, but because of the different types of child Nodes a Parent Node can have (sub-forums, sub pages, sub-categories).

I was going to look for exact matches and serve the Ad that way, but that would mean you would have to select the deepest NodeId for the Ad to show in, (ie: if you selected a category, the ad would not show in any sub Nodes.). That would have been easy, but limits flexibility. The way it is now, you can select a category, and the ad will display in every child Node of that category, unless you have another ad you wanted to specifically display in one of that categories child Nodes (it'll over-ride the parent ad). The advantage of this is that a sponsor can sponsor a specific category, and if he/she has a different banner they want to display depending on the sub-node a visitor is in, it'll be displayed.

For example, one Category on your forum may be Home Repair. Under Home Repair, you may have a Dry-walling sub-forum, a Tools Page, and a Plumbing sub-forum, etc. Bobs Best Hardware store wants to sponsor that whole category. What he wants is when a visitor is in the Home Repair category, his Leader Board ad shows in the Logo area regardless of which sub area someone is in, and his Full ad on plumbing supplies to show in the Breadcrumb area, after the 1st post, and footer when a visitor visits the plumbing category, his full ad on tools to show in the breadcrumb and footer area when someone is in the Tools Page, and rotate sequentially his 3 banners on Dry-walling in the breadcrumb, footer, and after the 1st post when in the Dry-walling sub-forum.

The above is just one example of how you can set ads up to be displayed. If you want to keep it simple and display ads in one location only, just turn-off all locations except for the one you want, set it to random or timed, and you are done.

Now, I'm cleaning up the code a bit, adding a couple of what I feel are required options, and have started on groupings.

Top Bottom